• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PECOTA projects us in the playoffs

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say Dallas too. If they did 4, 8 team divisions then it would be pretty equal geographically for TV markets and travel wouldn't be that terrible.

West: Seattle-SF-Oakland-LA-Anaheim-SD-AZ-Colorado

Central: Cleveland-Detroit-KC-STL-Chicago-Chicago-Milwaukee-Minnesota

South: Dallas-Arlington-Huston-Miami-Tampa-Atlanta-Charlotte-Cincy

East: New York-New York-Baltimore-Washington-Boston-Philly-Pittsburgh-Toronto

I'd do it this way:

West: SEA, LV, LAA, COL (AL); SF, LAD, SD, AZ (NL)
Central: CLE, DET, MIN, CWS (AL); STL, CHC, MIL, KC (NL)
South: MC1, CHA, CIN, ATL (NL); TEX, HOU, TB, MC2 (AL)
East: NYM, WAS, PHI, PIT (NL); NYY, BAL, BOS, TOR (AL)

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd do it this way:

West: SEA, LV, LAA, COL (AL); SF, LAD, SD, AZ (NL)
Central: CLE, DET, MIN, CWS (AL); STL, CHC, MIL, KC (NL)
South: MC1, CHA, CIN, ATL (NL); TEX, HOU, TB, MC2 (AL)
East: NYM, WAS, PHI, PIT (NL); NYY, BAL, BOS, TOR (AL)

A few probs...

1) Miami just built a ne monstrosity, er, uh, I mean, stadium. They aint going anywhere anytime soon. TB is a serious contender for relocation, though.

2) MC is not getting any teams anytime soon. The security down there is a serious issue. Besides, assuming that MLB is ready to move a team in there, they will have to prove that they can support 1 team before they get a second.

3) You have Charlotte and MC in the same division? Wow, that is rough. I understand the pitfalls of trying to set up divisions. I went through the exercise last year and I ended up putting the DBacks and Ms in the same division. But Charlotte and MC? Ouch.

Edit: Actually, Cincy and Mex City is even worse...

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few probs...

1) Miami just built a ne monstrosity, er, uh, I mean, stadium. They aint going anywhere anytime soon. TB is a serious contender for relocation, though.

2) MC is not getting any teams anytime soon. The security down there is a serious issue. Besides, assuming that MLB is ready to move a team in there, they will have to prove that they can support 1 team before they get a second.

3) You have Charlotte and MC in the same division? Wow, that is rough. I understand the pitfalls of trying to set up divisions. I went through the exercise last year and I ended up putting the DBacks and Ms in the same division. But Charlotte and MC? Ouch.

Edit: Actually, Cincy and Mex City is even worse...

Just spitballing here; I know that MC presents problems (security, taxes, conversion rates, etc.) but it's a baseball hotbed and larger than NYC -- it could EASILY support 2 teams and probably 3. In terms of time zones, MC is only one away from CHA (or CIN for that matter). Any team is going to have a long trip to MC, even HOU. MC is 750 miles south of HOU, so it's a haul for any team.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question that MC is large enough for a team. It is the 2nd or 3rd largest city in the world (behind Tokyo, for sure, but I am not sure where Shanghai or Hong Kong fall). But is there a large enough middle class to support MLB baseball? I am actually asking. I have no idea about the socio-economics of the area.

Assuming that it does, MLB still will not be going there soon, though. The crime (both violence and propensity for corruption) is a deal-breaker. Then, they would have serious issues attracting free agents, and players traded there could have grievances due to the tax issues as well as cultural issues. The difference between Boston and San Diego is nothing compared to either and MC.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4, 8 team divisions would be better. I don't like small divisions since it makes it easier for teams with worse records then teams that were left out just because of the divisions they play in.

Ideally the DH would be eliminated which would make the divisions simple.

1. SF, OAK, LAD, LAA, SD, SEA, AZ, POR
2. CHC, STL, COL, KC, CHW, MIL, MIN, TOR
3. NYY, BOS, NYM, PHI, PIT, CIN, CLE, DET
4. TEX, HOU, MIA, TB, WAS, BAL, ATL, CHA

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4, 8 team divisions would be better. I don't like small divisions since it makes it easier for teams with worse records then teams that were left out just because of the divisions they play in.

Ideally the DH would be eliminated which would make the divisions simple.

1. SF, OAK, LAD, LAA, SD, SEA, AZ, POR
2. CHC, STL, COL, KC, CHW, MIL, MIN, TOR
3. NYY, BOS, NYM, PHI, PIT, CIN, CLE, DET
4. TEX, HOU, MIA, TB, WAS, BAL, ATL, CHA

Than why have divisions at all? Just have one 32-team league with the top X records making it to a seeded tourney.

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why not drop back down to 2 leagues and 2 divisions.1 division winners and 2 WC teams for each division with the 2 WC teams for each division playing a 1 game play in for the playoffs.

1.AL East- NYY, Bost, BAL, TOR, TB, ,DET, CLE,CHA
2.AL West- CHWS, TEX,HOU, KC, SEA, MIN, OAK, LAA
3.NL East- NYM, ATL, NYM, PHI, PIT, CHC, MIA, WAS
4.NL West- SF, LAD, COL, ARI, MIL, POR, CIN, SD

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not drop back down to 2 leagues and 2 divisions.1 division winners and 2 WC teams for each division with the 2 WC teams for each division playing a 1 game play in for the playoffs.

1.AL East- NYY, Bost, BAL, TOR, TB, ,DET, CLE,CHA
2.AL West- CHWS, TEX,HOU, KC, SEA, MIN, OAK, LAA
3.NL East- NYM, ATL, NYM, PHI, PIT, CHC, MIA, WAS
4.NL West- SF, LAD, COL, ARI, MIL, POR, CIN, SD

Playoff = $$

No way in hell will they eliminate payoff teams.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playoff = $$

No way in hell will they eliminate payoff teams.

As Cal noted .... it's all about the $$$$. IMHO if they could they would try and implement some sort of split season things with WCs in each half. This is about money and how to keep the interest alive. With some of these 'buy everything' approaches it does make it very difficult for some twons to retyain interest. I think the doggies are built for 90-95 wins. I think that's what they spent there money on. I also think we'll be the WC coming out of the west. When the dust settles where does that leave everyone else in the west? At what point do you pack it in as a fan and start spending your money and time else where. AL East also seems to have a similar problem. To be profitable you need to be competitive andf hang around in the battle as long as you can. If your 15 gamers out at the end of July .... season is pretty much over. Not taking the division nor a WC spot. They need someway to hold interest and continue cashflow.

Maybe when all is said and done we will have plaoffs that mimic the NHL. It al bocomes about the playoffs. The fan always has tomorrow to look forward to.