• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Paul George to Celtics??

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing... who can offer more than the C's are offering, even without the Nets pick included?

The answer is no one.

If Bradley is included, basically no one. If not, plenty of teams could offer more -- but very few would be able to convince George to sign an extension and so they wouldn't offer more.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bradley is included, basically no one. If not, plenty of teams could offer more -- but very few would be able to convince George to sign an extension and so they wouldn't offer more.
Yea... I hear you, that's basically what I'm saying.

I will say: it's a decent trade package from the C's, even without the Nets pick. The LAL'18/Sac'19 pick is solid... and there is good reason every opposing GM tries to pry Crowder away from the C's. He is a solid NBA role player at a great contract.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep.

Bradley and Crowder are both highly valuable assets, yet completely expendable for the Celtics.

If they pull this off and that Nets pick turns into a guy like Porter, look out. Boston would have the pieces to contend for a long, long time provided they would be willing to pay a lot of tax.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to the Celtics with heyward would probably be the best case scenario for PG13. I don't see the Lakers getting that much talent together by the time PG retires.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that PG has already actively tried to recruit players to LA. Kelenna Azubuike (former player and Warriors In-Studio broadcast guy) has said he's heard that PG has already reached out to Klay Thompson to see if he'd be willing to join him in LA. Would make a lot of sense since Klay is from LA and his dad still works for the Lakers. I've always thought Klay might be open to leaving one day, but thought it might be towards the twilight of his career.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that PG has already actively tried to recruit players to LA. Kelenna Azubuike (former player and Warriors In-Studio broadcast guy) has said he's heard that PG has already reached out to Klay Thompson to see if he'd be willing to join him in LA. Would make a lot of sense since Klay is from LA and his dad still works for the Lakers. I've always thought Klay might be open to leaving one day, but thought it might be towards the twilight of his career.

Mychal Thompson already shot this down.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea... I hear you, that's basically what I'm saying.

I will say: it's a decent trade package from the C's, even without the Nets pick. The LAL'18/Sac'19 pick is solid... and there is good reason every opposing GM tries to pry Crowder away from the C's. He is a solid NBA role player at a great contract.

That remains to be seen.
Has to be 2-5 for it to convey in 2018.
SAC has cap space and their 2018 1st round pick, so they could be much improved for a future 2019 pick.
If that pick enticed IND enough, then that's on them.

If I've got BOS/CLE/LAL fighting for PG, I see no reason why the Celtics shouldn't offer up a Nets pick to get this done, especially if an extension is forthcoming.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That remains to be seen.
SAC has cap space and their 2018 1st round pick, so they could be much improved for a future 2019 pick.
Yeah... there's always a risk... but it a decent bet that's a solid pick, as things now stand.
SH said:
If I've got BOS/CLE/LAL fighting for PG, I see no reason why the Celtics shouldn't offer up a Nets pick to get this done, especially if an extension is forthcoming.
Well, if Boston doesn't have to offer the pick up... why should they?

It very well may be the case that Boston has the best deal on the table (I haven't heard anything better)... even without that Nets pick.

What's Indiana gonna do... take a lesser deal just to spite Boston? Keep PG and then lose him for nothing next year?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That remains to be seen.

I do.

Who is offering more?

There are some serious studs at the top of next year's class. Michael Porter Jr. Could be the best prospect since Anthony Davis. There are also 2 bigs, Ayton and Bamba, who could be exactly what the Celtics need.

Unless the Lakers are willing to offer Ball, there is no need for the Celtics to up their offer. The Cavs simply can't come close to their current package.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's Indiana gonna do... take a lesser deal just to spite Boston? Keep PG and then lose him for nothing next year?

Who is offering more?

There are some serious studs at the top of next year's class. Michael Porter Jr. Could be the best prospect since Anthony Davis. There are also 2 bigs, Ayton and Bamba, who could be exactly what the Celtics need.

Unless the Lakers are willing to offer Ball, there is no need for the Celtics to up their offer. The Cavs simply can't come close to their current package.

All it takes is one other team to make a better offer.
What if LAL came back with an offer to include BI, even if it wasn't real?
Would BOS just let that go? Just call their bluff?
IND could offer to take on extra salary from BOS to acquire the BRK pick.
I really don't see BOS as getting fleeced if they offer the BRK pick to get 4 years of PG.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All it takes is one other team to make a better offer.
True... but isn't that always true?

On the basis of the above fact... do you just give away the farm?
SH said:
What if LAL came back with an offer to include BI, even if it wasn't real?[/quote
Would BOS just let that go? Just call their bluff?
Doesn't make sense for the LAL to give up their young talent to go after George, IMO.

They are not a Paul George away from contention. They are rebuilding. They want young assets with big potential... (except that Russell guy, of course)
Sparhawk said:
IND could offer to take on extra salary from BOS to acquire the BRK pick.
I really don't see BOS as getting fleeced if they offer the BRK pick to get 4 years of PG.
The C's... being the well run club that they are... don't have a lot in the way of bad salary.

It would depend on the specifics of the deal, but given the hard position IND has been placed in due to George's public comments... I'd say BOS would be getting fleeced if they coughed up the BRK pick.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PG going to the C's really doesnt make much sense. I mean why go to another EC team where you have to play Lebron. I think the only way he stays in the East is if he plays with Lebron, otherwise, he is going out West.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PG going to the C's really doesnt make much sense. I mean why go to another EC team where you have to play Lebron. I think the only way he stays in the East is if he plays with Lebron, otherwise, he is going out West.

Because it's a much easier path to go through the GSW? SAS????

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it's a much easier path to go through the GSW? SAS????

LOL.

Sorry Shane, but that is crazy. GS is better and likely to stay together longer. George and Hayward in Boston would give them a team on the ascent capable of knocking off Cleveland next year, and perhaps GS somewhere down the line.

George's best chance of making the Finals is Cleveland or Boston. Boston is the team with the trade assets most interesting to Indiana.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seriously?!? PG on the Celtics makes them a real threat to the Cavs, especially if they get Hayward. The Celtics played pretty well defensively vs. the Cavs. They just didn't have the firepower to match the Cavs on offense.

Adding PG-13 improves the Celtics on both side of the ball. Plus, as @Sparhawk pointed out, in the West he would have SAS and GSW (I'd add the Rockets as well) to go through to get to the finals. In the East, he only has to worry about the Cavs.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After what I read he is not coming to Boston. Copy and pasted this:

"The Pacers are asking the Celtics for two starting players and Boston's first-round picks next year from Brooklyn and the Lakers in return for Paul George, according to a report from Mark Murphy of the Boston Herald."

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After what I read he is not coming to Boston. Copy and pasted this:

"The Pacers are asking the Celtics for two starting players and Boston's first-round picks next year from Brooklyn and the Lakers in return for Paul George, according to a report from Mark Murphy of the Boston Herald."

That is an insane price tag.

Sorry, but George isn't worth all that. No chance the Pacers get an offer better than that package without the Nets pick in it. I understand asking for the moon, but be realistic.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously?!? PG on the Celtics makes them a real threat to the Cavs, especially if they get Hayward. The Celtics played pretty well defensively vs. the Cavs. They just didn't have the firepower to match the Cavs on offense.

Adding PG-13 improves the Celtics on both side of the ball. Plus, as @Sparhawk pointed out, in the West he would have SAS and GSW (I'd add the Rockets as well) to go through to get to the finals. In the East, he only has to worry about the Cavs.

Unfortunately, I fear that winning takes a backseat to some players to personal preference....Where they live, etc.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, I fear that winning takes a backseat to some players to personal preference....Where they live, etc.

Personally, I would want to play for a winning team that played unselfishly.

Of course other things matter more to certain players. I think the same is true for every profession out there. It kind of amazes me that fans think athletes would be any different. Not saying you are doing that, but every player has different priorities when deciding where to play. Just like my priorities would probably be different from yours when deciding where to work.