• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pats trade Jamie Collins

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you read the post that I linked he had said "What if the Pats get a ring and you don't?" Technically yes he gets a ring. No I'm sure not the way he would want to win it as any player would want to be a part of that game and be part of the reason your team actually wins.
I misspoke, shoulda read 100% of the competitors I've known

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I misspoke, shoulda read 100% of the competitors I've known

Again I get that. Not why I said what I said. The NFL recognizes any player that has been on the roster during the regular season/playoffs as a contributor to the team. Heck even the practice squad guys get a ring. Wouldn't surprise me if the ball boy got a ring. Yes there is a difference between being an actual contributor in the biggest game of the year compared to being traded half way through the season. It wouldn't be a ring I would want to show off everywhere but I would take that ring if they offered it to me as hey if nothing else can sell it for a nice little bonus.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, I think it was more about money than anything else. There are enough reports out there to confirm they were not close on contract talks and maybe because he wasn't having the best of years, BB felt he might be playing for himself (ie. not giving 100%, preserving himself for FA) and he wasn't worth carrying the rest of the season.

Yes, he really wasn't playing up to expectations - so this is the likeliest scenario.

Belichick likely applying some Milton to Collins...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he really wasn't playing up to expectations - so this is the likeliest scenario.

Belichick likely applying some Milton to Collins...

He was still ranked as the 9th best ILB even on a down year though. So while he wasn't playing up to expectations it wasn't like he went from best to worst player in the league either.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was still ranked as the 9th best ILB even on a down year though. .

According to who? Belichick is seldom wrong when it comes to these moves - I'm going to defer to what I've seen on the field defensively, and what Belichick has done. He got absolutely nothing for Collins.... he simply moved him to get him off the team. Obviously he feels the team is better off without him.

That doesn't necessarily mean that Collins is a bad player - it could mean his head is not right and he could be a liability down the stretch.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to who? Belichick is seldom wrong when it comes to these moves - I'm going to defer to what I've seen on the field defensively, and what Belichick has done. He got absolutely nothing for Collins.... he simply moved him to get him off the team. Obviously he feels the team is better off without him.

Well PFF has him ranked 9th overall and the 2nd best coverage linebacker in the NFL so far this year. His run support has definitely fallen off from previous years but his work in coverage has still be at an elite level.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I would disagree that moving a talented player to another team actually makes the team better. We have no clue right now why this trade was made. WE have educated guesses but I'm not sure how you can say this makes your team better. It hurts your depth, got rid of one of the more talented players at the linebacker position, and doesn't really help cap wise this year because most of his contract had already been paid out. And they got in return most likely what they would have gotten for him if they let him go in FA. All they have done draft wise is possibly have a 3rd round pick in 2017 compared to 2018.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick moved a talented Randy Moss, he also chose not to pay Revis what the Jets paid (which is working out nicely). He traded a talented Lawyer Milloy, traded a talented Logan Mankins, and traded a talented Richard Seymore... he's been right way more than he's been wrong.

Maybe this is why Belichick has been so successful, while the rest of us are scratching our collective heads.

He knows when to move on with players.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick moved a talented Randy Moss, he also chose not to pay Revis what the Jets paid (which is working out nicely). He traded a talented Lawyer Milloy, traded a talented Logan Mankins, and traded a talented Richard Seymore... he's been right way more than he's been wrong.

Maybe this is why Belichick has been so successful, while the rest of us are scratching our collective heads.

As has been said, most if not all of those were off season things.

I think there was something dire to make this a mid-season thing.

But Patriots don't talk out of class so we may never know.

I think they will be fine anyway though. Lots of depth at linebacker.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And some think that if he'd have hung onto some of those players a little bit longer, he might have more championships. Some also think that Belichick the coach has saved Belichick the GM from some bad decisions.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That doesn't mean he is right in this situation. I know we as fans after a questionable decision try to find ways to justify a decision in our heads. I'm sure Belichick had reasons to make this move and maybe he will end up being right but I would bet many outside of Pats fans view this as a bad move for the Patriots especially when they look to have such a talented team. Now maybe he was a locker room cancer, or going off script, or wanted more money than they could ever give him (this one I don't think can really be a valid excuse considering most likely they would have gotten a 3rd round comp pick for him anyway and could have kept him for the next 8+ games). Sometimes though GM's make stupid mistakes even the great Bill Belichick. And honestly the GM Belichick to me has been mediocre with some of his decisions but has been covered up by the genius that is Bill Belichick the coach.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again I get that. Not why I said what I said. The NFL recognizes any player that has been on the roster during the regular season/playoffs as a contributor to the team. Heck even the practice squad guys get a ring. Wouldn't surprise me if the ball boy got a ring. Yes there is a difference between being an actual contributor in the biggest game of the year compared to being traded half way through the season. It wouldn't be a ring I would want to show off everywhere but I would take that ring if they offered it to me as hey if nothing else can sell it for a nice little bonus.

Sure, even Peyton accepted that last ring :suds:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, even Peyton accepted that last ring :suds:

Well he at least was a tackling dummy for the Panthers in that last game. So give him a ring for taking the beating.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That QB rating was an insult to tackling dummies everywhere....

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That QB rating was an insult to tackling dummies everywhere....

Well that tackling dummy did throw 2 touchdowns the week earlier to beat the Pats in a game nobody thought he stood a chance. I would say Tom Brady was actually the bigger tackling dummy that day.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that tackling dummy did throw 2 touchdowns the week earlier to beat the Pats in a game nobody thought he stood a chance. I would say Tom Brady was actually the bigger tackling dummy that day.

HEY! Don't confuse the issue with facts.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tom Brady prays every night to Baby Jesus that the Manning brothers suffer a terrible boating accident