• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pats trade Jamie Collins

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Brady prays every night to Baby Jesus that the Manning brothers suffer a terrible boating accident

He could have maybe 8-10 Super Bowls right now if it wasn't for them.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I would disagree that moving a talented player to another team actually makes the team better. We have no clue right now why this trade was made. WE have educated guesses but I'm not sure how you can say this makes your team better. It hurts your depth, got rid of one of the more talented players at the linebacker position, and doesn't really help cap wise this year because most of his contract had already been paid out. And they got in return most likely what they would have gotten for him if they let him go in FA. All they have done draft wise is possibly have a 3rd round pick in 2017 compared to 2018.
Well unless he's being a cancer? Team chemistry is almost as important as stats. It's just very difficult to measure. Oh lrt's not forget he's been out of position routinely. In a BB scheme that just can't happen. These are likely more the factors then $ and talent.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, I think it was more about money than anything else. There are enough reports out there to confirm they were not close on contract talks and maybe because he wasn't having the best of years, BB felt he might be playing for himself (ie. not giving 100%, preserving himself for FA) and he wasn't worth carrying the rest of the season.

I hear ya, but according to reports there were never any contract talks. They verbally spoke about 11m in July and that was it. I still think there is more to this than money. Money is not why he was moved. BB would have taken what he could for the rest of the year and let him walk. It's not about the draft pick either. We are talk about BB, a man who constantly trades out of the 1st rd and then takes 7th rd picks in the 2nd rd. Money comes into play in the off season. They let D.Mac play out his last yr and test the market, BB was not worried. Something happened that BB did not like. It could of been the way he holds a fork a dinner, IDK. Money was not the reason, age was not the reason, draft compensation was not the reason....

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again I get that. Not why I said what I said. The NFL recognizes any player that has been on the roster during the regular season/playoffs as a contributor to the team. Heck even the practice squad guys get a ring. Wouldn't surprise me if the ball boy got a ring. Yes there is a difference between being an actual contributor in the biggest game of the year compared to being traded half way through the season. It wouldn't be a ring I would want to show off everywhere but I would take that ring if they offered it to me as hey if nothing else can sell it for a nice little bonus.

That's true. A buddy of mine is a huge pats fan. Has one of their cheerleaders rings from the 04 SB (had to get it resized).

As for Collins, my guess is fit and personal issues with the staff/team. Just a guess though.

Also remember the Patriots only would get a compensatory pick only if they lose more good players than they add. So while he may net them a 3rd round pick, if say the patriots picked up Tyrann Matthieu in FA in the off-season that's no net loss, so no compensatory pick for NE. Seeing as the pats have the 3rd most cap space in the league going into next season, there's a chance they gain more in FA than they would lose.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya, but according to reports there were never any contract talks. They verbally spoke about 11m in July and that was it. I still think there is more to this than money. Money is not why he was moved. BB would have taken what he could for the rest of the year and let him walk. It's not about the draft pick either. We are talk about BB, a man who constantly trades out of the 1st rd and then takes 7th rd picks in the 2nd rd. Money comes into play in the off season. They let D.Mac play out his last yr and test the market, BB was not worried. Something happened that BB did not like. It could of been the way he holds a fork a dinner, IDK. Money was not the reason, age was not the reason, draft compensation was not the reason....

Maybe it was something else as you've said...at this point, I don't really think the real reason matters, the Pats have moved on and it sounds like Collins has as well.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friggin Collins better not get like 5 sacks this week and lead Cle to their first win. FU Belichick...

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston reporters aren't biting on this story by calling it a horrible trade, because of the egg they've worn over the years.

Even Borges is strangely silent on this

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh Oh...

Tom Brady Says Jamie Collins Trade Could 'Absolutely' Happen to Him
By Joe Pantorno, Featured Columnist Nov 2, 2016
New England Patriots star Tom Brady, the once-in-a-generation quarterback many believe is the epitome of untouchable, wouldn't be surprised if he met the same fortune as former teammate Jamie Collins, whom the team shipped to the Cleveland Browns on Monday.

The 39-year-old signal-caller spoke about his chances of being dealt with Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald on Wednesday:

Yeah, absolutely. You can't be around this long and not realize that the world will keep spinning and the sun will come up tomorrow without you. That's just the way it goes. I think you enjoy the experiences that you have and also understand it just keeps going on. It could happen to anybody. You just have to show up to work, do the best you can do every day and let your performance just try to speak for itself.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh Oh...

Tom Brady Says Jamie Collins Trade Could 'Absolutely' Happen to Him
By Joe Pantorno, Featured Columnist Nov 2, 2016
New England Patriots star Tom Brady, the once-in-a-generation quarterback many believe is the epitome of untouchable, wouldn't be surprised if he met the same fortune as former teammate Jamie Collins, whom the team shipped to the Cleveland Browns on Monday.

The 39-year-old signal-caller spoke about his chances of being dealt with Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald on Wednesday:

Yeah, absolutely. You can't be around this long and not realize that the world will keep spinning and the sun will come up tomorrow without you. That's just the way it goes. I think you enjoy the experiences that you have and also understand it just keeps going on. It could happen to anybody. You just have to show up to work, do the best you can do every day and let your performance just try to speak for itself.

He's safe, nobody wants a washed up 39 yr old overrated too boot QB. Maybe he can play for the Argonauts or some other CFL team

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how everybody's an expert and declaring Bill Belichick stupid for making this trade. Even the media here in the Boston are screaming that he defended Mike Lombardi yesterday at a press conference because Lombardi has been ripping Collins a new Asshole. At his weekly press conference he said, "it's done. I did it for the good of team". End of story. He's not going into detail and he said "there are thousands of reason that got to this point. I will not go over each of them. It's too cumbersome."

What I took from this is pretty simple. He made the trade because Collins was becoming too much of a distraction to him and to the team. We don't see it. We may not understand it. BB has been in this league for over 30 years. He's been in charge of the Patriots for the past 17. He has 9 division champions and 4 Super Bowl ringsYou don't have that kind of success by being stupid. I'm sure that there's more to this than we or anyone else will ever know. Maybe this is his first big mistake..................maybe it isn't.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how everybody's an expert and declaring Bill Belichick stupid for making this trade. Even the media here in the Boston are screaming that he defended Mike Lombardi yesterday at a press conference because Lombardi has been ripping Collins a new Asshole. At his weekly press conference he said, "it's done. I did it for the good of team". End of story. He's not going into detail and he said "there are thousands of reason that got to this point. I will not go over each of them. It's too cumbersome."

What I took from this is pretty simple. He made the trade because Collins was becoming too much of a distraction to him and to the team. We don't see it. We may not understand it. BB has been in this league for over 30 years. He's been in charge of the Patriots for the past 17. He has 9 division champions and 4 Super Bowl ringsYou don't have that kind of success by being stupid. I'm sure that there's more to this than we or anyone else will ever know. Maybe this is his first big mistake..................maybe it isn't.

At least for me that is nowhere near what I am saying. On the surface it looks like a bad trade. We obviously none of us have any clue what was actually happening behind closed doors. Something obviously happened. That doesn't mean though that BB made the right choice or that either team loses in this situation either though. It could be Collins needed a change of scenery and the Patriots needed to get rid of a distraction and got a decent draft pick.

The other thing is I know a lot of teams have this type of saying and Patriots probably have more claim to it than anybody of "in _____ we trust." Belichick has a history of doing well in some trades and making some personnel decisions. That doesn't mean he has been perfect either though. They have made some mistakes along the way and even past Patriot players have criticized Belichick for getting rid of some core players too soon and think they could have had a few more Championships if BB the GM hadn't gotten in the way of BB the Coach. He isn't fully above being criticized at times.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm now hearing CowboyB will be in a serious bidding war with Hammer for Brady's services.

CockboyB will be his Equp Manager, take care of the ball pressure and camera placement. Hope he knows the weather is different in SD than NE. He could also take care of the ice baths, rubdowns and hummers