• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pats sign Browner

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell me what legal case browner had? Everything was completely above board, he failed to meet his obligations to remain eligible, and the league enforced the rules.

They simply didn't want this to be a long and public dispute.

We have been over this. You have seen the reports and the commentary from Clayton, Rappaport, La Canfora, legal experts, and lots of others or at least had that chance and none of them sway you. What value is there in continuing this conversation with you then? You have an opinion and one that isn't shared by those who know the NFL and this case. You can still have whatever opinion you want, but it's a complete waste of time to talk to you about it.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have learned you can't have a discission with JDM. He refuses to listen to other points of view with an open mind.

It is laughable that the NFL backed down on this issue but he still insists that Browner would not have had a reasonable chance to win his lawsuit. Why did the NFL change their minds then? They pursued it to this point and then did a 180.

JDM- Give us a reason why the NFL changed their minds. Did they wake up one morning and think "I'm in a good mood today! Let's drop Browner's suspension!"? What happened?

You insist that there was no reason to drop the suspension because it was on solid legal grounds, and yet that is just what they did.

My contention is that when the NFL lawyers reviewed the case they realized that drug testing and individual who is no longer a paid employee and lives outside of the country could easily be construed as a personal rights violation and they stood a decent chance of losing. There is no other logical explanation.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, too say Browner's 3 year career was a roller coaster ride is the understatement of the year. Regardless Ill remember him for the way he improved his play and became a founding member of LOB rather then the legal stuff.
I just remember a guy getting torch by Mike Wallace in his 2nd career game in 2011 week 2. Fans were killing him and PC for his play however he worked his way to Pro Bowl player by the end of the year.
3 plays Ill remember from him are:
1. Pick 6 against the NYG to seal a game in New York in 2011
2. Strip and Fumble Recovery against Carolina in 2012
3. Getting into a fight with Greg Jennings in the end zone on MNF in 2012

Sure he got beat by double moves frequently but he's an enforcer and brings an attitude. Hopefully he lets his play speak for him the rest of his career and nothing else.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have learned you can't have a discission with JDM. He refuses to listen to other points of view with an open mind.

It is laughable that the NFL backed down on this issue but he still insists that Browner would not have had a reasonable chance to win his lawsuit. Why did the NFL change their minds then? They pursued it to this point and then did a 180.

JDM- Give us a reason why the NFL changed their minds. Did they wake up one morning and think "I'm in a good mood today! Let's drop Browner's suspension!"? What happened?

You insist that there was no reason to drop the suspension because it was on solid legal grounds, and yet that is just what they did.

My contention is that when the NFL lawyers reviewed the case they realized that drug testing and individual who is no longer a paid employee and lives outside of the country could easily be construed as a personal rights violation and they stood a decent chance of losing. There is no other logical explanation.

You can debate lots of things, but it's hard to argue against opinions. The point with JDM's is not how much I don't agree with it, it's that we have already seen 20 pages on it and there really isn't anything else to say. No matter how much he insists he is right, most experts don't agree and that's pretty much where we need to leave it.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with leaving it where it is.

I'm not saying he's a bad person or anything, just that the rules were the rules and should have been followed.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a lawyer, so I can't speak as if I were one. I spent 25 years working for large insurance companies doing loss control and risk control work. I spent a lot of time in court and in arbitration hearings. Lawyers don't work cheaply. Opening a letter and reading it can cost between $250 and $500 bill time. Answering the letter costs no less than twice that amount. I learned that the easiest way to get someone to settle is to make the lawyers work for their money. My guess is that the NFL's lawyers have a billing rate of at least $2000 an hour. I would venture to say that they work as a team so anything they do is probably in the $10,000 an hour neighborhood.

The league might say that Browner is guilty for not taking multiple tests. Browner would say that they're being discriminatory and then his lawyers would attempt to force the league to tell who else they are testing equally as often. They can scream privacy and HIPPA as much as they want but a fair judge might ask for all tests performed over the previous three years.
Let's say Peyton Manning has been tested twice and Browner has been tested or the league has attempted to test him 8 times. Put that in front of a jury in California or New York and Browner might get a seat on the Board of Governors of the NFL.

I have been involved in cases of corporate drug tests and testing of employees. The average 'Joe' hates drug testing and most have little tolerance for it. Juries make corporation work extremely hard to prove these cases
and even when a person is a habitual user, they still swing heavily toward the employee.