• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots roster

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not implying anything by making note of this. It was just one of those useless, random sports facts.

Belichick’s kind of roster: Patriots have 18 undrafted free agents | ProFootballTalk

More than one-third of the Patriots roster was undrafted. The Patriots also have eleven more players that were taken in the fifth round or later in the draft. Less than half of the team was drafted in the first four rounds. 12 Patriots were signed “off the street” or during training camp.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
wow thats pretty impressive in a way, although somewhat odd as well considering all of the draft picks they always have.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Gregg Easterbrook, a couple weeks ago:

'Undrafted players: The Packers have 16 on their roster -- Jarrett Bush, Tom Crabtree, Evan Dietrich-Smith, Ray Dominguez, Rob Francois, Brett Goode, Ryan Grant, John Kuhn, Jamari Lattimore, Tim Masthay, Brandon Saine, Sam Shields, Shaky Smithson, Vic So'oto, Tramon Williams and Frank Zombo. Football is a team sport, and for team sports, little-known role players are as important as great players. Unlike highly drafted crybabies who think the rules don't apply to them -- Exhibit A, the Detroit Lions -- undrafted players listen to the coaches and give you what they've got.

Kind of crazy how undrafted players might have become a Moneyball-style undervalued resource, exploited most by the smartest teams, in the past few years.

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both these teams have elite QBs. Take away Tom Brady and they don't make the playoffs. Take a way Aaron Rodgers and put an average Qb there (not Flynn) and they don't make the playoffs either.

I like the idea of teamwork and not have selfish big names guys. I just wanted to point this out for these two teams.

Anyone know if there are any other good teams with the same type of rosters with out a great QB?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Both these teams have elite QBs. Take away Tom Brady and they don't make the playoffs. Take a way Aaron Rodgers and put an average Qb there (not Flynn) and they don't make the playoffs either.

I like the idea of teamwork and not have selfish big names guys. I just wanted to point this out for these two teams.

Anyone know if there are any other good teams with the same type of rosters with out a great QB?

Texans?

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Makes sense. Brady was a 6th rounder in the 2000 draft. LOL the Pats had to choose between him & Tim Rattay. Suppose they chose Rattay and the Niners got 'stuck' with Brady!

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On the flip side of things... What does this fact say about their ability to scout talent with their high draft picks?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On the flip side of things... What does this fact say about their ability to scout talent with their high draft picks?

good point.

which leads me off tangent........if we remain a play-off team as we hope, we'll be drafting late twenties every year. theoretically, we'll have a harder time sustaining a good team. Baalke and staff will have to be pretty good in their picks every season.

if you have a franchise QB, then you have a much better chance to sustain a good team. unfortunately, we don't and it might be awhile before we get one? we can only do the best we can now, and not force it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i've been under the impression New England has been 'stocking up' quality draft picks? so wouldn't they also have a few more picks than most?

or maybe they're still stockpiling picks, and really haven't expended much?

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Patriots' strategy of using high number of draft picks to create a hyper-competitive atmosphere for each spot naturally leads to the high number of UDFA's and low draft picks crawling out of their system. Patriots invest a high number of draft picks, but their investment is based in creating an insane level of competition as a tool to (in theory) make each position better.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Patriots' strategy of using high number of draft picks to create a hyper-competitive atmosphere for each spot naturally leads to the high number of UDFA's and low draft picks crawling out of their system. Patriots invest a high number of draft picks, but their investment is based in creating an insane level of competition as a tool to (in theory) make each position better.

i know this is the part i should actually look it up first. :-(

not sure what this is saying? it SEEMS to say they go ahead and use....say the extra 1st plus extra 2nd to strengthen the overall team? this would be natural as the least talented guys at the bottom get pushed out.

but you're referring to positions? so does this mean they go ahead and draft a 1st round LB AND 3rd round LB, let them compete?

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gregg Easterbrook, a couple weeks ago:

Kind of crazy how undrafted players might have become a Moneyball-style undervalued resource, exploited most by the smartest teams, in the past few years.

Shit... Colin Cowherd was talking about this the other day. There is a word for it in football that I can't remember. I will try and find the link.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And the Pats haven't hit very well on their picks. Meriwether is gone, Ron Brace?, Vollmer is backing up Solder at right tackle right?, Darius Butler is gone, Ras-I-Dawling hasn't played, Terrace Wheatley?
Here's their history.
National Football League: NFL Draft History - by Team

ahh, mahalo for finding.

ok. so the Pats have been getting roughly an extra 2nd and extra 3rd last three years. they have been using them as opposed to keep upgrading to higher picks.

so yeah, what does it say about their higher picks? no one will be 100% right, but it APPEARS they aren't taking advantage?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Shit... Colin Cowherd was talking about this the other day. There is a word for it in football that I can't remember. I will try and find the link.

in the near future, would this affect the number of rounds in a draft? increasing to 8 rounds would decrease this effect, decreasing it to 6 rounds would increase it?