• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots experiment with former LSU QB Danny Etling at WR

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We always knew Danny could play different positions. I always used to joke with him and call him Taysom Hill," receiver Phillip Dorsett said.

Hill's dual quarterback/H-back role with the New Orleans Saints created a challenge for opposing defenses in 2018, as the Saints ran 175 snaps with two quarterbacks on the field. The possibility of the Patriots doing something similar with Tom Brady and Etling seems like a long shot, but training camp is a time for experimentation.

i

Purdue. "I'm excited to continue to keep trying to find a different role for myself and do whatever the coaches ask me to do."

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Etling also took practice repetitions on special teams Thursday, which is another area in which Hill (6-2, 221) contributes to the Saints. That's also how Julian Edelman initially made the Patriots' roster as a rookie in 2009 when he was transitioning from college quarterback at Kent State to wide receiver/punt returner in the NFL.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have a guy who is just flat out athletic, you find ways to get him on the field and keep him on the roster until he settles into a spot. Smart to have a utility guy who is good at a lot of things but not great at anything yet. NFL taking a page out of the MLB book.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having seen Etling a lot at Purdue let me go ahead and tell Dorsett that if Etling can play WR that will be his first position he can play not his second .

Guy may be an athlete which is good because he's not a QB