• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patent office rules against Redskins Trademark

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just seems to me that if people take issue with the name, common decency and civility alone should be motivation enough to change it. It won't harm anyone, or anything to do so. That's the only issue I have with the whole thing, to be honest. Believe it, or not... I do agree that a LOT of things in this country have gotten too "PC", as well. But, the answer here is so easy, convenient and potentially profitable.

I guess I just don't get this inexplicable resistance to a conflict-free coexistence in America. It honestly baffles me. :noidea:

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I just don't get this inexplicable resistance to a conflict-free coexistence in America. It honestly baffles me. :noidea:

Everyone has their right to voice their opinion. It's what makes this a great country.
I love a good debate.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to provide some background on Ray Halbritter, head of Oneida Nation and one of the most vocal and most recognized crusaders of the 'redskins is a racial slur' argument. What IS his agenda? I don't believe it's the betterment of his NA constituency. I question his integrity, honesty and leadership and apparently so do many within his own tribe.

Last edited by a moderator:

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll ask again, when exactly did "several" become the majority? The fact is that it's only the minority (and very few at that) that are so called "offended" by the name. For those who are mathematically challenged, that means the majority don't give a rip. So it seems the non-Native Americans now feel its their duty and have taken up the cause for the mostly apathetic Native Americans regarding this issue. But again it begs the question; Why all of the sudden? If the very people that this name offends don't particularly care (the minority I'm speaking of) why are so many others so disturbed about it? Could it be that so many politicians have had an epiphany and have now acquired a higher set of morals and ethics? If that's the case then that would certainly be noteworthy to see any politician with an agenda other than their own. At the risk of being redundant, its so obviously politically motivated. And then there are also the people that just want to be offended----by anything, so that they can have something to complain about and make noise and draw attention to themselves. They make a great team with the PC crowd, attempting to go around covering up naked statues with fig leaves.

And as far as your statement that it was more offensive back then, well that is just ridiculous Caynine. Nobody was doing even a small percentage of the whining that is going on today about it then. Of course we didn't have the politically correct/Liberal/Groping for attention crowds back then that we have today. We also didn't have the social media back then that we have today where it's easier than ever to draw attention to ones self. Hmm, just coincidence I'm sure.....

It appears that Jacob did his due diligence in researching his information, so kudos to him. The nails are in your coffin on this one Caynine. But of course being the public relations spin doctor that you are I'm sure you'll find a way to twist this in a new direction. Can we all say, "rhetoric and propaganda" I know you can Caynine.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very eloquently stated Boss. :suds:

mikey728

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, every Alpha dog is going to stake out his tree on this...The bottom line is, that's probably a good thing...It also seems to me that it will change nobody's mine on either side...I do think it's irresponsible to describe this as a conservative V. liberal situation...I'm probably very slightly left of center for the most part, but am staunchly on the "I don't like to be made to do something because it's PC" side...One final thing: I'm one of (if not THE) oldest guys here...Many of my feelings and opinions have been shaped by that fact alone...Many, many things were far different in my formative years...That is certainly not to say that I'm right about many things, simply that my reasoning and thought process has been greatly impacted by growing up in a different time...I will say, without trepidation, that I believe many of today's trials and tribulations would not exist or be of little consequence if the ethics and morals of my generation were more prevalent today...Or, suppose after wasting a few minutes on this diatribe, I might just be TOTALLY FULL OF SHIT !!!!!!!!!!! Make your own educated determination...OK, I feel better and am now done with this topic...I will simply sit back and see how it plays out...Thanks for listening and have a lovely day...

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll ask again, when exactly did "several" become the majority? The fact is that it's only the minority (and very few at that) that are so called "offended" by the name. For those who are mathematically challenged, that means the majority don't give a rip. So it seems the non-Native Americans now feel its their duty and have taken up the cause for the mostly apathetic Native Americans regarding this issue. But again it begs the question; Why all of the sudden? If the very people that this name offends don't particularly care (the minority I'm speaking of) why are so many others so disturbed about it? Could it be that so many politicians have had an epiphany and have now acquired a higher set of morals and ethics? If that's the case then that would certainly be noteworthy to see any politician with an agenda other than their own. At the risk of being redundant, its so obviously politically motivated. And then there are also the people that just want to be offended----by anything, so that they can have something to complain about and make noise and draw attention to themselves. They make a great team with the PC crowd, attempting to go around covering up naked statues with fig leaves.

And as far as your statement that it was more offensive back then, well that is just ridiculous Caynine. Nobody was doing even a small percentage of the whining that is going on today about it then. Of course we didn't have the politically correct/Liberal/Groping for attention crowds back then that we have today. We also didn't have the social media back then that we have today where it's easier than ever to draw attention to ones self. Hmm, just coincidence I'm sure.....

It appears that Jacob did his due diligence in researching his information, so kudos to him. The nails are in your coffin on this one Caynine. But of course being the public relations spin doctor that you are I'm sure you'll find a way to twist this in a new direction. Can we all say, "rhetoric and propaganda" I know you can Caynine.

I did want to address one statement, though. I don't think I ever said it was "more offensive back then".

Aside from that... nope... No spin. No rhetoric. No propaganda. And certainly no additional facts. I've said my piece.

I would only ask this... In this case, does it really have to be a majority? Like I said before, it wouldn't hurt anything, or anyone to change the name. In fact, only good could come of it. For both sides involved. Are you really so opposed to Native Americans that you'd turn away good will AND turn a profit, just to make a point? And what would that point be?

I guess I could see if there was some sort of glaring negative to re-branding the team, but there isn't. There's no political, or constitutional downside, for either party involved and there's certainly no financial one.

So... could you explain to me what exactly you're defending here? 'Cause I don't see it.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did want to address one statement, though. I don't think I ever said it was "more offensive back then".

Aside from that... nope... No spin. No rhetoric. No propaganda. And certainly no additional facts. I've said my piece.

I would only ask this... In this case, does it really have to be a majority? Like I said before, it wouldn't hurt anything, or anyone to change the name. In fact, only good could come of it. For both sides involved. Are you really so opposed to Native Americans that you'd turn away good will AND turn a profit, just to make a point? And what would that point be?

I guess I could see if there was some sort of glaring negative to re-branding the team, but there isn't. There's no political, or constitutional downside, for either party involved and there's certainly no financial one.

So... could you explain to me what exactly you're defending here? 'Cause I don't see it.

Opening statement of mine and it's the point of all of this.

We're spending too much time fixing squeaky wheels and not enough time steering the horse.

Yes it's a dumb analogy, but it drives the point home.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm defending a tradition that most Redskins fans and a majority of NFL fans find if not dear to their hearts, at least not offensive. Its all ado about nothing is the way most people see it. And what does it hurt to change the name you ask? In reply I'll ask, "For what reason"? Just to turn a bigger profit by selling different merchandise? Just to appease the few PC crowd? If for no other reason that is reason enough to not change it. Where do you think it will end Caynine? If they discover they wield the power to manipulate long standing traditions and multi-billion dollar companies simply for the sake of enlarging their own ego or attempting to make themselves look pious in the place of no other legitimate reason (and we disagree on whether this is a legitimate reason, I realize that) then where does it end? Every time somebody gets a bug up their rectum about something that might offend 5 people in the world, and they get the ball rolling with self-serving politicians among others, is this going to be a never ending story in one form or another? And I know you're smart enough to realize the answer to that. Even if the name is changed. It will be on to the next politically correct topic or self-serving agenda.

Call me cynical, and I realize I probably sound like that, but just from personal experience I've seen it before. There are so many layers to this----most of them having absolutely nothing to do with the Native Americans. If we gave a damn about them they wouldn't be on reservations. If we were so concerned about their rights then why don't we give them back the land we stole from them so long ago. I'll tell you why, because it wouldn't benefit anybody's damn selfish self-serving interests. The politicians and PC crowd can get bent as far as I'm concerned. And when I see PCness, I have to hold back to support the other side for no other reason than just contempt for these people.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opening statement of mine and it's the point of all of this.

We're spending too much time fixing squeaky wheels and not enough time steering the horse.

Yes it's a dumb analogy, but it drives the point home.

No, I understand exactly where you're comin' from, jacob. You're not against the name change itself, but you resent the government's "involvement".

Look at it this way, though... if Snyder changed the name tomorrow... that'd be one less squeaky wheel to grease.

Yet another "win" that could stem from re-naming the team. :yahoo: Lol.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm defending a tradition that most Redskins fans and a majority of NFL fans find if not dear to their hearts, at least not offensive. Its all ado about nothing is the way most people see it. And what does it hurt to change the name you ask? In reply I'll ask, "For what reason"? Just to turn a bigger profit by selling different merchandise? Just to appease the few PC crowd? If for no other reason that is reason enough to not change it. Where do you think it will end Caynine? If they discover they wield the power to manipulate long standing traditions and multi-billion dollar companies simply for the sake of enlarging their own ego or attempting to make themselves look pious in the place of no other legitimate reason (and we disagree on whether this is a legitimate reason, I realize that) then where does it end? Every time somebody gets a bug up their rectum about something that might offend 5 people in the world, and they get the ball rolling with self-serving politicians among others, is this going to be a never ending story in one form or another? And I know you're smart enough to realize the answer to that. Even if the name is changed. It will be on to the next politically correct topic or self-serving agenda.

Call me cynical, and I realize I probably sound like that, but just from personal experience I've seen it before. There are so many layers to this----most of them having absolutely nothing to do with the Native Americans. If we gave a damn about them they wouldn't be on reservations. If we were so concerned about their rights then why don't we give them back the land we stole from them so long ago. I'll tell you why, because it wouldn't benefit anybody's damn selfish self-serving interests. The politicians and PC crowd can get bent as far as I'm concerned. And when I see PCness, I have to hold back to support the other side for no other reason than just contempt for these people.

Fair enough.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BOSS Please call into the Sirus NFL network tomorrow at 9am pst....I would looove to hear you let them have it on that show. You have the best points on this stuff and it seems like no one remembers this stuff when they call in. Someone needs to spread this message ^^

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:clap: I'm thankful that fans of other teams can see the slippery slope and precedents that are trying to be set on giving government the power to be arbiters of WHAT you should think and feel about a word. What's next? The TV program you want to watch that has 'offensive words' in it? Censorship? Very worrisome, IMO.

If it's legislated that the Redskins name has to be changed, so be it. There are much greater issues that lie in the cross fires if people allow government a power like this. Much bigger than the name debate.

Just as a side note I'm not affiliated with either party, have been a registered Independent since the Reagan years. I don't fall into line with either party rhetoric, I personally believe one should look at an issue, follow thru the possible ramifications of policy and make an educated decision about what you believe as a result of that conversation with your own moral compass.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's legislated that the Redskins name has to be changed, so be it. There are much greater issues that lie in the cross fires if people allow government a power like this. Much bigger than the name debate.

Just to be clear... I absolutely DO NOT believe it should be "legislated" that the Redskins change their name.

I don't fall into line with either party rhetoric, I personally believe one should look at an issue, follow thru the possible ramifications of policy and make an educated decision about what you believe as a result of that conversation with your own moral compass.

I couldn't agree more.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to be clear... I absolutely DO NOT believe it should be "legislated" that the Redskins change their name.

I couldn't agree more.

:suds: just wanted to be clear about how I arrived at my position on this issue. Not a fan of the PC brigade...obviously

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we can all agree on something for a change anyway. Politics shouldn't play a part in any of this. Unfortunately in the real world with so many agendas competing against each other, things like this are the results. Some politician somewhere would sell their own mother if they thought it would further their career. I personally have a more conservative viewpoint, but if someone labels themselves a liberal and I agree with what they're professing, I don't have an issue supporting them. Most are labeled according to their positions on issues, and most usually tow the party line whether they are in agreement or not. I'd vote for Donald Duck if I thought he could do the job. Matter of fact I had a "penciled in" vote for him against Obama in the last election.......

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we can all agree on something for a change anyway. Politics shouldn't play a part in any of this. Unfortunately in the real world with so many agendas competing against each other, things like this are the results. Some politician somewhere would sell their own mother if they thought it would further their career. I personally have a more conservative viewpoint, but if someone labels themselves a liberal and I agree with what they're professing, I don't have an issue supporting them. Most are labeled according to their positions on issues, and most usually tow the party line whether they are in agreement or not. I'd vote for Donald Duck if I thought he could do the job. Matter of fact I had a "penciled in" vote for him against Obama in the last election.......

:nod: I agree with ya Boss.

It is the greatest travesty that a platform for respectful discussion by our politicians always seem to fall into a mudslinging contest these days of 'who can make who' look worse. It is truly a sad state of affairs. Smh. When will we learn?:noidea:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The precedent you refer to will feed a ban on the Rams logo and name. It is just a matter of time before the muslims start demanding that the Rams change their logo and name because they are offended that their goats are being mocked.

Goats are important to muslims because they use goats to justify and release their man-lust when a woman is not available to identify and purify the man-lust through sex with a woman. I am not making this goat and muslim stuff up. This was taken from a series of exchanges on facebook awhile back. See the insanity of this BS??

Last edited by a moderator:

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The precedent you refer to will feed a ban on the Rams logo and name. It is just a matter of time before the muslims start demanding that the Rams change their log and name because they are offended that their goats are being mocked.

Goats are important to muslims because they use goats to justify and release their man-lust when a woman is not available to identify and purify the man-lust through sex with a woman. I am not making this goat and muslim stuff up. This was taken from a series of exchanges on facebook awhile back. See the insanity of this BS??

Telling you, Cowboys vs. the Federals........."The Feds are Coming"

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Telling you, Cowboys vs. the Federals........."The Feds are Coming"

I like the completely politically incorrect, Virginia Rebels. Screw DC.