• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patent office rules against Redskins Trademark

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not change the nickname to Warriors, go back to the retro arrowhead logo, and reap the huge windfall from merchandise sales?

Why acquiesce to these self serving politicians Shopson? They were never offended by the name before this. Only because it fits into their political agenda do they take up the imagined cause now. Makes me sick. And as Retro stated earlier, the Native Americans for the most part are not offended by this name. You constantly state things that you can't back up with facts. I think you do it to just stir things up. :ss:

And if your motivation is purely $$$ regardless of what the fanbase wants, well that's pretty pathetic as well.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does it have to be one or the other?

The bigger issues can't get past the "just say no" party.

Love how you got a political jab in with your statement. It doesn't mean much tho. I can sit here and call the other side the, "just do it because I said so" party.

It works both ways buddy. At least I can admit that.

You obviously missed the point of one of my statements too. These entities are supposed to be free of political agenda. You think it's just pure coincidence of what is transpiring? If you do then you live with your head in the sand.

Also, I understand that changing the redskins name isn't that big of a deal. The world will keep on spinning and Washington will still have a team and there will still be football every Sunday. So I don't see it as a huge deal.

Here's where I do see it as a huge deal....
There are soooo many more important things to worry about in this country. Just like Boss said. Crime, Schools, Drugs, Immigration, Our Countries debt., N Korea, Russia invading other countries, terrorism, and so on.

My 30 year old nephew is half native american. Let me tell you how many shits he's gives about this...........Zero.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't solve the economic issues or the health care issues or the education issues or the illegal immigration issues or the crime issues of this country but we sure can solve the trivial politically correct asinine self serving issues that the politicians get up on their soapboxes to make themselves look good on. Bunch of #@%#@!#*($%/ idiots.

+100 dude spot on!

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the Bullets? No. Wait. Never mind.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very much so. They are supposed to be a separate entity much like the US Treasury and supreme court.
But here's the proof in the pudding as they say.

Obama comes out and talks about it..............right?!
Snider fires back and basically says, go pound sand.
2 weeks later Patent office rules against the Redskins.....

I hear the browns have to change their name next. A couple of people from Mexico think it's racist. lol. tisk tisk.

I'm not sure where the 2 week timeline came from, but this is actually not how it went down, at all. (I mean, come on... nothing gets done in Washington in 2 weeks, am I right? Lol)

The lawsuit that produced this recent ruling was filed 8 years ago by a consortium of Native Americans led by a woman named Amanda Blackhorse. Of course, the US Patent and Trademark Office is statutorily prohibited from issuing "marks that may disparage persons, or bring them into contempt or disrepute" (Section 2(a), 15 U.S.C. § 1052(a) for all you constitutionalists out there), so they pulled the trademark in question.

No one is forcing the Redskins to change their name, which I agree with 100%. While it would be a good idea to change it... the decision to do whatever he wants with the team should be left solely to Dan Snyder. He paid good money for that team. If he wants to keep the name, then so be it.

Also... I've noticed a lot of desire for some to trace this case back to the POTUS. But fact of the matter is, he had nothing to do with it. No time or effort were being drawn away from the economy, healthcare, immigration, education, crime rate, poverty, the national debt, drugs, foreign policy, terrorism, etc, etc, etc, because none of these items fall within the purview of the Patent and Trademark Office, who are the ones actually responsible for the ruling.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about golf did it interfere with any golf time or possible vacation time. Come on I mean the guy is stressed. Fire up Air Force One. :laugh3:

mikey728

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Snyder keeps the name, but shortens it officially to 'Skins....Same thing only different ??? I think not...The full name would now be the Washington Potatoskins..Try to take that trademark away, a-holes...

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am from the Idaho Potato council. And we take exception too the name Potatoskins. Our people will contact your people. :laugh3:

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about golf did it interfere with any golf time or possible vacation time. Come on I mean the guy is stressed. Fire up Air Force One. :laugh3:

Not sure... I can't speak to how many avid golfers work in the Patent Office. :wink:

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure where the 2 week timeline came from, but this is actually not how it went down, at all. (I mean, come on... nothing gets done in Washington in 2 weeks, am I right? Lol)

The lawsuit that produced this recent ruling was filed 8 years ago by a consortium of Native Americans led by a woman named Amanda Blackhorse. Of course, the US Patent and Trademark Office is statutorily prohibited from issuing "marks that may disparage persons, or bring them into contempt or disrepute" (Section 2(a), 15 U.S.C. § 1052(a) for all you constitutionalists out there), so they pulled the trademark in question.

No one is forcing the Redskins to change their name, which I agree with 100%. While it would be a good idea to change it... the decision to do whatever he wants with the team should be left solely to Dan Snyder. He paid good money for that team. If he wants to keep the name, then so be it.

Also... I've noticed a lot of desire for some to trace this case back to the POTUS. But fact of the matter is, he had nothing to do with it. No time or effort were being drawn away from the economy, healthcare, immigration, education, crime rate, poverty, the national debt, drugs, foreign policy, terrorism, etc, etc, etc, because none of these items fall within the purview of the Patent and Trademark Office, who are the ones actually responsible for the ruling.

Are you now in the secret service Cay? POTUS lol

The two week time period came from Snyder coming out publicly and saying eat a dick. Then 2 weeks later this comes out. Pretty simple to follow.

Also the president should have nothing to do with this. Doesn't he have more important things to do? Like play golf or go sneak a cigarette out back? Just the fact that he even responded to it shows why this administration is in shambles. Please don't even try to argue against that.

You too are also missing the point btw. Of course snyder doesnt have to change the name.....You realize that all 32 teams will lose money from this right? And guess what, money talks. He can try to stand his ground all he wants but 31 other owners vote against him then he doesn't have a choice. And the patent office knows this.
Show me one billionaire that says he doesn't care about losing a couple of million dollars every quarter.....let alone 32 of them.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The die is cast the name will be changed. Once a government agency comes down one way or another on the subject it will happen. If not this time they will just come at you from another direction. IRS maybe?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
moved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you now in the secret service Cay? POTUS lol

The two week time period came from Snyder coming out publicly and saying eat a dick. Then 2 weeks later this comes out. Pretty simple to follow.

Also the president should have nothing to do with this. Doesn't he have more important things to do? Like play golf or go sneak a cigarette out back? Just the fact that he even responded to it shows why this administration is in shambles. Please don't even try to argue against that.

You too are also missing the point btw. Of course snyder doesnt have to change the name.....You realize that all 32 teams will lose money from this right? And guess what, money talks. He can try to stand his ground all he wants but 31 other owners vote against him then he doesn't have a choice. And the patent office knows this.
Show me one billionaire that says he doesn't care about losing a couple of million dollars every quarter.....let alone 32 of them.

I guess I just wondered why Obama keeps ending up in the conversation, since it's been pretty clearly established that he had nothing to do with the ruling. A soundbite on the matter doesn't really count. I mean... presidents talk about stuff.

How exactly will all 32 teams lose money on this, though? And what vote are you referring to? (And I'm not being facetious. I'm genuinely asking these things). If anything, as someone else pointed out earlier, there's actually an opportunity for a pretty sizable windfall for Snyder in merchandising alone.

mikey728

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am from the Idaho Potato council. And we take exception too the name Potatoskins. Our people will contact your people. :laugh3:

OK, spudman...I'll yield to political correctness...Like your tag line btw...Are those skivvies freshly laundered ??? Check this one out...Yope tviu motz ...I don't have access to a cyrillic keyboard, thus I had to do the best I could using hooked on phonics 101...It will get a russian male up in your grill like right now...

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, spudman...I'll yield to political correctness...Like your tag line btw...Are those skivvies freshly laundered ??? Check this one out...Yope tviu motz ...I don't have access to a cyrillic keyboard, thus I had to do the best I could using hooked on phonics 101...It will get a russian male up in your grill like right now...

mikey I try too see the humor in most things. With the world the way its is today you have too laugh or cry. And this board for the most part is wound up tighter than dicks hat band most of the time. I chose too laugh. I don't shout other posters down. I don't demean or name call as some do. I just sit here in the bushes polishing my scope an sipeing. And hopefully getting a few belly laughs in the process. :suds:

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yes the shorts are clean for the most part. Cant translate yours though. But get the drift. :lol: