• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pass Atlas: A Map of Where NFL Quarterbacks Throw the Ball

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting no doubt!

we like to see the downfield passing, but short accuracy is big. short passing isn't Kaep's strong point, so we'll see if he improves?

timing is also important, throw a receiver open and let him do the work.

with kap's arm, 30 yards is a short pass

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Terrific stuff. He does similar charts for basketball shooting stats, and always brings a noteworthy slant to his analysis. I think he's more of a basketball guy, but hopefully he keeps it up with football. One thing is that he's just good with graphics and design, and seems to format his charts in interesting and revealing ways.

As far as the numbers, I like how Luck owns the middle of the field past the sticks. Pretty effective way to play QB if you can get away with it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
interesting no doubt!

we like to see the downfield passing, but short accuracy is big. short passing isn't Kaep's strong point, so we'll see if he improves?

timing is also important, throw a receiver open and let him do the work.

I think that overstates it. Touch passes have not been a strength of Kap's to date, but his short range accuracy is still good. He completed 67% of passes between 1-10 yards. By comparison, Tom Brady, who is arguably the best QB in that area, completed almost 73% of those passes. Drew Brees came in at 66% at that range. Matt Ryan, who had the best completion percentage in the league last year, was just under 70%. Kap can improve, of course, but he was really quite good in that area. The area where he could really stand to improve is the 11-20 yard range, where he completed only 50% of passes. Though he was very impressive in the 21-30 range, with 78%.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the white spots in that map are where Brady Quinn and Joe Flacco threw incomplete passes.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think that overstates it. Touch passes have not been a strength of Kap's to date, but his short range accuracy is still good.

I'm hoping he worked on that stuff a lot in the offseason.

...Actually, his weakest point was clock management IMO. I'm hoping that crap is a thing of the past. If it is, Kaep's gonna be REALLY hard to stop with the Niners' running game as good as it is (assuming Kyle Williams doesn't totally suck for the next 6 weeks).

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm hoping he worked on that stuff a lot in the offseason.

...Actually, his weakest point was clock management IMO. I'm hoping that crap is a thing of the past. If it is, Kaep's gonna be REALLY hard to stop with the Niners' running game as good as it is (assuming Kyle Williams doesn't totally suck for the next 6 weeks).

Word is that he has, and that he improved a fair bit in that area.

Re: clock management, I think that's a failing of the team. It seemed like Alex was always good for one or two delay penalties or blown TOs a game under the Harbaugh regime as well. But it's something that has to be fixed. The delay/TO at the end of the super bowl wiped out what looked like it was going to be a TD.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think that overstates it. Touch passes have not been a strength of Kap's to date, but his short range accuracy is still good. He completed 67% of passes between 1-10 yards. By comparison, Tom Brady, who is arguably the best QB in that area, completed almost 73% of those passes. Drew Brees came in at 66% at that range. Matt Ryan, who had the best completion percentage in the league last year, was just under 70%. Kap can improve, of course, but he was really quite good in that area. The area where he could really stand to improve is the 11-20 yard range, where he completed only 50% of passes. Though he was very impressive in the 21-30 range, with 78%.

this taken from a very recent article in another thread:

Perhaps, after all, it is the loss of Boldin that has cost Joe Flacco so dearly. That is why I do not buy the narrative that this team lacks weapons. I am of the opinion that Kaepernick, right now, in this offense, is too reliant on the deep ball, and he struggles in the short passing game.

Kaep is better at medium and long passes, that's where he maximizes his arm strength. it is also why he's perceived as being explosive......now that the read option isn't used.

his short game is getting better, but still his weaker area. btw - contrary to most QB's.