• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Palmer vs. Smith

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious here as there is a little debate going on on the Bengals board. If Mike Brown were to offer you Carson Palmer right now would you trade for him? Would you want him over Smith? Would you want him at all? What would you be willing to give up for him? Do you even think he is better than Smith?

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Clyde wont like this board but I do

We're 4-1

:flypig:

We are 4-1 like he said. I think we could add him to to add a veteran on the depth chart and let him be the 3rd QB but Harbaugh would have to talk to Alex first to let him know that it doesnt mean anything and that he's the starter.

5th or 6th rounder

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the off-season we probably would have been interested, but midseason at 4-1 with our former #1 pick suddenly looking like a good QB we wouldn't even make an offer. I will even go as far as to say if Alex keeps this play up all year we would not even be interested after the season.

The Bengles should be calling up the Dolphins, Broncos, Seahawks, Jags, and maybe even the Cards since they seem desperate to win this year.

I personally don't think you guys will trade him though. I think the owner has dug in on this one and Palmer will never play in the NFL again unless it's as Daltons backup.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just curious here as there is a little debate going on on the Bengals board. If Mike Brown were to offer you Carson Palmer right now would you trade for him? Would you want him over Smith? Would you want him at all? What would you be willing to give up for him? Do you even think he is better than Smith?

Wrong team to offer a trade... They should have the Seahawks instead of the Niners as trading partners for 2 reasons..

1) TJACK was hurt last Sunday and the Seahawks would need depth behind Whitehurst and
2) Palmer is a USC product which gives him a connection with pete Carroll

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my thought that the 9'ers wouldn't be interested, but another guys thinks that they need him, that he is a huge upgrade over Smith, and that even with Smith playing well you all would offer a 3rd. He said because you have veterans getting older (which you don't really have any outside of Smith, Sopoaga) that you should be trying to win now and you can't win a SB with Smith and should trade for Palmer. I told him he was out of his mind.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That was my thought that the 9'ers wouldn't be interested, but another guys thinks that they need him, that he is a huge upgrade over Smith, and that even with Smith playing well you all would offer a 3rd. He said because you have veterans getting older (which you don't really have any outside of Smith, Sopoaga) that you should be trying to win now and you can't win a SB with Smith and should trade for Palmer. I told him he was out of his mind.

Sounds like a desperate fan looking for a way to sound smarter than he really is... Obviously, he has no idea about the Niners except for A Smith's history of past failures... The Niners team is one of the younger teams in the league...

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carson Palmer is a quitter. Who wants a quitter on their team?

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a desperate fan looking for a way to sound smarter than he really is... Obviously, he has no idea about the Niners except for A Smith's history of past failures... The Niners team is one of the younger teams in the league...

He says Smith has had 6 good quarters and the rest have been below average. You all have a real god team and Smith has been really good this year.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point in the season, I think every team is accepting what they have at the QB position. You see that with Gerrard still available. I'm not sure if anyone will take a serious look at Palmer until after the season. Probably a pre-draft trade or maybe right after the draft?

To the 49ers specifically. I don't see how anyone could be this foolish. Trading for Palmer would send the signal that they have zero confidence in Alex Smith and probably have a very negative impact on the offense. Who trades for a QB when the one you have has helped guide the team to a 4-1 record by doing exactly what the coaching staff asks of him?

Like 4bee said, this person suggesting the trade doesn't seem to know what they are talking about as far as current events go, just basing this whole idea on 3-4 years ago.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He says Smith has had 6 good quarters and the rest have been below average. You all have a real god team and Smith has been really good this year.

I went and read the thread... That person need to substantiate his claims with facts... He claims sources yet fails to provide any of his so called sources... Nothing but conjectures and passing his opinions as fact...

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you. He does this all the time. I mean I tried posting fact after fact after fact and nothing seems to work with him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Palmer hasn't been the same guy the past couple years. He's been pretty ordinary since the injury. There's no way we'd risk rocking the boat at this point, with Smith looking better every week. There was a chance over the offseason, but not now. If Palmer becomes a FA, he bears considering after the season. Even then I don't think I would pay big for him.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way. Smith is 4-1 this year, Palmer rather retire than play for cincy.

Palmer quits, Smith continues to work hard and shows progression(subjectively)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At this point in the season, I think every team is accepting what they have at the QB position. You see that with Gerrard still available. I'm not sure if anyone will take a serious look at Palmer until after the season. Probably a pre-draft trade or maybe right after the draft?

To the 49ers specifically. I don't see how anyone could be this foolish. Trading for Palmer would send the signal that they have zero confidence in Alex Smith and probably have a very negative impact on the offense. Who trades for a QB when the one you have has helped guide the team to a 4-1 record by doing exactly what the coaching staff asks of him?

Like 4bee said, this person suggesting the trade doesn't seem to know what they are talking about as far as current events go, just basing this whole idea on 3-4 years ago.

for the current, this is my thinking too.

looking to the off-season, even if Alex Smith leaves i see Harbaugh looking ahead with younger guys. a vet is good to have as a back-up but Palmer isn't looking to back up. "young" may not necessarily be CK, Tolzien, or a rookie, but younger than Palmer.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It would have been an OK move in the preseason, not now.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carson Palmer is a quitter. Who wants a quitter on their team?

I always pick a second team to follow (secondarily root for against everyone but us) every year - this year it's the Bengals (except against us) because I hate Carson Palmer's stance. I went to USC so I liked him until now. Some people can't blame him but I do - not for them losing but for him quitting. Describe it however you like, even perhaps justify it a bit, but he quit.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
palmer never seemed to fully recover from his injuries. damaged goods imo

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell the guy over on the Cincy board that we'll take Palmer off your hands and a 4th rounder for our 5th. ;)