• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Packers @ Redskins

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keim...

LANDOVER, Md. -- At one point Saturday night, Washington Redskinsoffensive tackle Trent Williams heard his position coach call for the second-string line. Those should have been welcome words during a preseason game. Instead, Williams had one reaction: grab his helmet and return to the field.

Whether or not line coach Bill Callahan changed his mind and kept the first unit in doesn't matter. What did matter was that the Redskins’ offensive starters knew they needed more work, particularly in the run game. In Washington's 21-17 loss to the Green Bay Packers, the starting offense again failed to generate yards or excitement.

The Redskins are not yet worried; it's only Aug. 20 and they’ve played just two preseason games. But they should at the least be frustrated by what they've shown, and haven't done. The Redskins' starting offense failed to pick up a first down against Green Bay's No. 1 defense. Washington did manage a touchdown against the Packers' backups to end the first half, after Williams initially heard Callahan call for backups. Last week, the starters played two series with two three-and-outs.

"They were going to have to call timeout and tell me to get out if they wanted me out," Williams said. "I wasn't going to leave on that note. Not again. Not two weeks in a row."

Redskins coach Jay Gruden emphasized running the ball better and being more physical after a lackluster showing against Baltimore in the opener. If those were the goals Saturday night, it's hard to call it a success.

Rob Kelley gained 9 yards on nine carries. Quarterback Kirk Cousins and the passing attack lacked any rhythm early, some of which can be attributed to receivers having missed time in camp, and with tight end Jordan Reed still sidelined.

But the run game doesn't have that excuse, as the line has worked together all camp. Too many blocks are being missed, by linemen and tight ends.

"We're a work in progress," Gruden said. "We've got to do some things, and quite frankly we didn't get them done today. But I'm not going to give up on it by any stretch of the imagination. We've just got to continue with our plan and build on what we've done, or haven't done, learn from it, move on."

The head coach said he's not concerned over any struggles by the line or in the run game in general. "I know the guys we have up front, I know Coach Callahan and I know the runners we have," Gruden said. "So I'm not concerned. We do have to execute better. We have to put them in better situations. Maybe we'll look at the calls we're calling, but for the most part I'm not concerned."

In four series against the opposition's No. 1 defense this summer, the Redskins have rushed 13 times for 13 yards. Their longest carry in that time? Four yards. If they want to improve as a team, they'll have to change those numbers.

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We also have the Rams after the Eagles, can't squander that also. Gruden said we a work in progress well we have 2 winnable games to start the season. Now what is of concern is I think it will take awhile for our Skins to come around, unfortunately our upcoming schedule does not give us a lot of time.

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now I know this is preseason which really lacks a lot of scheming but KC missing wide open wr is a concern. He over threw several passes especially that with Crowder.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I know this is preseason which really lacks a lot of scheming but KC missing wide open wr is a concern. He over threw several passes especially that with Crowder.
He did, but he also threw a couple of perfect passes. I'm not too worried about our passing game. Crowder, Doctson and Reed have not really been practicing much this preseason so one could reasonably expect that timing could be off with those guys for a few weeks. What is of much more concern is the lack of any running game. This is a concern not only in the red zone (once again, we couldn't punch it it from 1 yard, we actually lost a couple), but also in the play action. If the defense doesn't respect your running game, then they don't bite on play action, which we saw a couple of times last night.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry fellas i had to leave last night for a family emergency . nothing life threatening but still had to get the wife checked out all the same

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do they do better than rodgers?

What did Rodgers do better than them. I was the same when I was young. I could only see the trees that grew while I was alive.

Jim Brown was IMO the most prolific RB ever. Jerry Rice was the best WR ever. No one mentioned LT, he was such a great defensive disrupter. There are more. Rodgers is great and often we try to figure out who was best which normally goes to the most recent guys.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did Rodgers do better than them. I was the same when I was young. I could only see the trees that grew while I was alive.

Jim Brown was IMO the most prolific RB ever. Jerry Rice was the best WR ever. No one mentioned LT, he was such a great defensive disrupter. There are more. Rodgers is great and often we try to figure out who was best which normally goes to the most recent guys.

Well if we are going QB, I take Peyton.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea that's all true. I'd put it this way. if you ask me to name the best player ever I'll go with Rodgers (and defend that and think I'm right and all that) but it comes with caveats...

1. I've never seen Marino or Montana or tons of other greats play (though I'm not sure i NEED to to make th is argument)
2. I'm not sure how to compare positions. Like I'm saying best player ever but really I mean best qb ever and then I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt for being a qb.
3. I'm not considering it a career accomplishments award (that would be brady) but simply a "best player" or "best qb" argument.