• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what the other options would be. Stanford, USC, UCLA and Cal made it very clear that they will continue to play each other every year. If the PAC 12 is really trying to maximize it's next TV deal, it needs to kick out it's 2 or 3 least valuable members and play a round robin schedule.
Why you wanna piss off Wazzu like that?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what the other options would be. Stanford, USC, UCLA and Cal made it very clear that they will continue to play each other every year. If the PAC 12 is really trying to maximize it's next TV deal, it needs to kick out it's 2 or 3 least valuable members and play a round robin schedule.

Never wanted them to stop the round robin. But they really had no choice because more and more importance has been placed on CCGs with regard to the cfp.

I don't think they need to change the scheduling or go to pods. They just need to do what they have just done and put the teams with the highest winning percentage in the CCG. Imo, it would just make things more complicated.

It will mean that there will be occasional re-matches (which I don't like), but with cross division scheduling there was that possibility anyway. The only difference is that it could be a re-match between division rivals, which wasn't possible before.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never wanted them to stop the round robin. But they really had no choice because more and more importance has been placed on CCGs with regard to the cfp.

I don't think they need to change the scheduling or go to pods. They just need to do what they have just done and put the teams with the highest winning percentage in the CCG. Imo, it would just make things more complicated.

It will mean that there will be occasional re-matches (which I don't like), but with cross division scheduling there was that possibility anyway. The only difference is that it could be a re-match between division rivals, which wasn't possible before.

it would be kind of silly to base the schedules off of divisional opponents if there are no divisions. I can’t imagine they will keep that model after the 2022 season. That could easily lead to some wonky results.

The most likely scenario is pods IMO. I’m not sure what the alternative to it would even be as long as the PAC 12 remains at 12 teams and the Cal 4 are insistent on playing each other every year

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it would be kind of silly to base the schedules off of divisional opponents if there are no divisions. I can’t imagine they will keep that model after the 2022 season. That could easily lead to some wonky results.

There is no need to get rid of divisions and based on what I've seen, this doesn't do that. It just says that the 2 teams with the best winning percentage will play in the CCG.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no need to get rid of divisions and based on what I've seen, this doesn't do that. It just says that the 2 teams with the best winning percentage will play in the CCG.

The divisions only exist because of the previous requirement to have a conference championship. It makes zero sense to have divisions, base your schedules off those divisions, and then not use them for anything. Zero sense.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The divisions only exist because of the previous requirement to have a conference championship. It makes zero sense to have divisions, base your schedules off those divisions, and then not use them for anything. Zero sense.

They would be used. As I said and you either didn't read or didn't grasp, most seasons the ccg would still be between division champs. This is just a hedge against the occasional season when a division is in a down year or has sanctions on them.

Being able to say you were your divisions champion still means something.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would be used. As I said and you either didn't read or didn't grasp, most seasons the ccg would still be between division champs. This is just a hedge against the occasional season when a division is in a down year or has sanctions on them.

Being able to say you were your divisions champion still means something.

If this is what the PAC 12 plans on doing, this is Larry Scott level idiocy. Division championships have never meant anything besides a trip to the championship game. Without that, they mean absolutely nothing.

I trust the leadership has a better plan than this. I expect they'll move away from the division model after the 2022 season.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What the conference needs to do is actually win OOC games. Decent showings in the big ones, and not have the stinkers to 1-AA/bad G5 schools.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pac doesn't need fewer teams, it needs better teams.

The Cali schools could do what the North Carolina schools do in the ACC: when one of them doesn't show up in their conference rotation, they schedule them as a non-conference game.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pac doesn't need fewer teams, it needs better teams.

That should hopefully be coming.

Oregon should still be good, we won't know if USC has fixed it's coaching problem until games are played, but they are adding a ton of talent to the roster and Chip looks like he has UCLA headed in the right direction. Utah looks like they should be good this season, they should be able to continue to develop players and be good every 2-3 years or so. Hopefully ASU doesn't get hit too hard by the NCAA. They were starting to build something there.

The conference also needs Washington to get it's shit together and be a threat to Oregon as well as Stanford developing players and being good every 2-3 years like Utah.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That should hopefully be coming.

Oregon should still be good, we won't know if USC has fixed it's coaching problem until games are played, but they are adding a ton of talent to the roster and Chip looks like he has UCLA headed in the right direction. Utah looks like they should be good this season, they should be able to continue to develop players and be good every 2-3 years or so. Hopefully ASU doesn't get hit too hard by the NCAA. They were starting to build something there.

The conference also needs Washington to get it's shit together and be a threat to Oregon as well as Stanford developing players and being good every 2-3 years like Utah.
The Pac-12 was hurt by the 2020 Covid season far worse than any of the other leagues - partially because they waited too long to start their season & scheduled too few games - and partially because of state & local regulations that also held them back. That hurt the continuity of teams like Oregon - and changing coaches didn't help any. Utah is usually good for 2 or 3 years at a time, then off for a year or two. Stanford has been going downhill for a while now & has one of the most over-rated coaches in the country.

Arizona St. was building something big until they got caught violating recruiting regs. Now it looks like everyone is jumping ship & they will soon be trending towards the bottom of the league. UCLA is definitely getting better. Most of the rest of the league is good enough to trip up some of the Pac's better teams, but not good enough to keep from losing multiple games to one another.

Going forward, it looks like USC may be the league's best long-term bet.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the rest of the league is good enough to trip up some of the Pac's better teams, but not good enough to keep from losing multiple games to one another.

That's what is crazy about the PAC, they eat themselves. Seems like just about every season there are at least a couple of significant upsets. In the Pete Carroll era, USC lost 19 games...something like14 of them were to PAC teams.

The PAC needs to do better in televised OOC games as well. Especially the mid and lower tier teams. Doesn't help the conference profile when every time other parts of the country see them, they lose. Then, if they turn around and upset one of the top conference teams, the loss looks worse than it really was.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOOF Baby WOOOOOOOOOFFFFF!!!!!
This week is shaping up to be the biggest in years for the program with recruiting. Tons of visitors this weekend.

Huskies landed a commitment from 4* DL Anthony James. James had been committed to Texas A&M for some time before re-opening this spring. His visits since then included Utah and Auburn. His offer sheet was a mile long including Utah, Auburn, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Illinois, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Oregon, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, and Virginia Tech.

He is the 7th rated DL prospect per 24/7 rating in the nation.

Huskies also today landed a commitment from one of it's top Oline targets, Zachary Henning, out of Aurora, Colorado. At 6'6", 285 pounds, he projects to one of the tackle spots in Washington's scheme.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOOF Baby WOOOOOOOOOFFFFF!!!!!
This week is shaping up to be the biggest in years for the program with recruiting. Tons of visitors this weekend.

Huskies landed a commitment from 4* DL Anthony James. James had been committed to Texas A&M for some time before re-opening this spring. His visits since then included Utah and Auburn. His offer sheet was a mile long including Utah, Auburn, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Illinois, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Oregon, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, and Virginia Tech.

He is the 7th rated DL prospect per 24/7 rating in the nation.

Huskies also today landed a commitment from one of it's top Oline targets, Zachary Henning, out of Aurora, Colorado. At 6'6", 285 pounds, he projects to one of the tackle spots in Washington's scheme.

I don't know about Henning, but AJ2 probably de-committed from A&M because he figured the competition for a starting slot would be much tougher there.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Huskies land another weekend visitor commit from San Jacinto, CA 4* ATH Vincent Holmes. Outstanding 2 way player. Will be groomed as a DB.
Big list of visitors this weekend. More could be incoming. WOOF!!!

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3* LB Jordan Whitney (Oxnard, CA) has committed to UW.