• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how are the rest of you MWC fans doing? It has taken a little bit to get use to it but I think I enjoy it.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how are the rest of you MWC fans doing? It has taken a little bit to get use to it but I think I enjoy it.
Yahh right. Hoping the PAC stays together and rides this out.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yahh right. Hoping the PAC stays together and rides this out.
Outside of the Arizona schools, the original 6 have to stay together. The Big 12 and Pac 12 combined aren’t worth the SEC or B1G.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of the Arizona schools, the original 6 have to stay together. The Big 12 and Pac 12 combined aren’t worth the SEC or B1G.

True, but with USC and UCLA and Texas and Oklahoma going to the SEC, every ''blue blood'' program (UCLA being a basketball ''blue blood) is in another conference. It seems like the best move would be for the rest of the PAC and Big 12 to merge.

It wouldn't be equal to the SEC or B1G, but it would be competitive and about equal to the ACC.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but with USC and UCLA and Texas and Oklahoma going to the SEC, every ''blue blood'' program (UCLA being a basketball ''blue blood) is in another conference. It seems like the best move would be for the rest of the PAC and Big 12 to merge.

It wouldn't be equal to the SEC or B1G, but it would be competitive and about equal to the ACC.
I don’t disagree but it is still the MWC then.

What needs to happen is the California school system need to take their lawsuit against UCLA as high as they can. Coerce SC back in and suck it up like butter cups and allow split revenue sharing like if SC wins the conference you get A amount of revenue and the last place team gets Z.

It is too late now but we have Silicon Valley creating all of this bullshit for people to watch, make Netflix or Prime or some other tech company pay the conference the difference between what Mickey Mouse and Fox are paying the B1G and SEC. A real produced reality show with players would generate money and also allow for the ability to recruit if HS players can become house hold names from a reality show.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t disagree but it is still the MWC then.

What needs to happen is the California school system need to take their lawsuit against UCLA as high as they can. Coerce SC back in and suck it up like butter cups and allow split revenue sharing like if SC wins the conference you get A amount of revenue and the last place team gets Z.

It is too late now but we have Silicon Valley creating all of this bullshit for people to watch, make Netflix or Prime or some other tech company pay the conference the difference between what Mickey Mouse and Fox are paying the B1G and SEC. A real produced reality show with players would generate money and also allow for the ability to recruit if HS players can become house hold names from a reality show.

I don't think it would make them the MWC, although it might feel that way initially. It would provide an opportunity for programs like Oregon, Washington, Baylor and Okie St. who have been competing with the blue blood programs for a few years now to get out of the shadows of the blue bloods.

If ASU can ever get it's shit together, that would help as well.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This generated a mountain of salt from Big12 honks. LOL.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol

This looks like typical Gavin Newsome grandstanding and trying to pretend he has more power than he does.

If what I'm hearing is true, there is very little, if anything, that Newsome and the regents can do. I would think that UCLA's lawyers looked everything over and told them they were good to go.

Meanwhile, Newsome and his regents appear to have no idea if they can do anything.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

This looks like typical Gavin Newsome grandstanding and trying to pretend he has more power than he does.

If what I'm hearing is true, there is very little, if anything, that Newsome and the regents can do. I would think that UCLA's lawyers looked everything over and told them they were good to go.

Meanwhile, Newsome and his regents appear to have no idea if they can do anything.
But don’t the regents control a shit load when it comes to their funding and expenses? No idea if it is true or not some dude from the Bay Area was talking about they can’t stop UCLA from leaving to the B1G but can make it cost prohibitive because it causes some legal term to Cal and other Olympic sports to the UC system.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I
lol

I agree for the most part. LA is the land of lawyers and I'm sure UCLA prepared for any of this. It was an interesting read recently an article that talked about how in debt UCLAs AD dept was and how it probably heavily influenced their decision to agree to this. Like Chip Kelly's demand that their "nutrition" budget be bumped from 1 million to 5 million (I'm sure a part of it will be used as a slush fund for buying recruits and transfers since its Kelly we're talking about) and the amount of bloat that was introduced into the size of the AD dept jobs and their salaries.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I

I agree for the most part. LA is the land of lawyers and I'm sure UCLA prepared for any of this. It was an interesting read recently an article that talked about how in debt UCLAs AD dept was and how it probably heavily influenced their decision to agree to this. Like Chip Kelly's demand that their "nutrition" budget be bumped from 1 million to 5 million (I'm sure a part of it will be used as a slush fund for buying recruits and transfers since its Kelly we're talking about) and the amount of bloat that was introduced into the size of the AD dept jobs and their salaries.
UCLA lawyers were only looking at if they can leave the Pac 12, according to I can’t remember what’s his name. After UCLA gains membership, the regents and overall state of California can take money from UCLA and give it to Cal. As well as causing massive issues with travel for all non football schools. UCLA is a basketball school with a bunch of athletic tennis players playing football. They can get an extra $40 million or whatever in revenue but from what I’ve read the regents plus the Governor can make that money equal zero if they want. Newsome is running for POTUS and it is an embarrassment to him because the entire CU systems was blind sighted. From everything I’ve seen or read he has the ability to go to war without an outside chance of stopping them from going but a dude who wants the highest office in the land can’t be pissing off the most populace state.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This generated a mountain of salt from Big12 honks. LOL.

The willingness to play the 10:00 eastern time slot is what started to kill the conference. Act like the MWC then you get treated like it.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How do the non UW/UO fans think about this?
I always considered it one of the PACs strengths that it was an equal revenue league. Every school felt like an equal partner in the conf. I think that's important to this conf going forward. Big reason the Big12 went through that initial gutting of losing schools like Nebraska and Colorado was Texas dominating the revenue and constantly acting like they sat at the head of the table and called all the shots.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA lawyers were only looking at if they can leave the Pac 12, according to I can’t remember what’s his name. After UCLA gains membership, the regents and overall state of California can take money from UCLA and give it to Cal. As well as causing massive issues with travel for all non football schools. UCLA is a basketball school with a bunch of athletic tennis players playing football. They can get an extra $40 million or whatever in revenue but from what I’ve read the regents plus the Governor can make that money equal zero if they want. Newsome is running for POTUS and it is an embarrassment to him because the entire CU systems was blind sighted. From everything I’ve seen or read he has the ability to go to war without an outside chance of stopping them from going but a dude who wants the highest office in the land can’t be pissing off the most populace state.

Actually, from what I'm hearing, there is very little that they can do. And I seriously doubt that UCLA's lawyers only looked at if they can leave the PAC. If that's all that they looked at, they should be fired immediately. Their job was not only to check the legality of the move, but also to look at possible repercussions.

Additionally, by making this move, UCLA may well have saved a bunch of Olympic sports because with the athletic department over $100 million in debt they were looking at having to cut some of those sports.

This looks to be nothing more than Newsom making it about him and trying to look tough.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it would make them the MWC, although it might feel that way initially. It would provide an opportunity for programs like Oregon, Washington, Baylor and Okie St. who have been competing with the blue blood programs for a few years now to get out of the shadows of the blue bloods.

If ASU can ever get it's shit together, that would help as well.
A boy can dream. ASU needs to hire a coach that likes to recruit, isn't married to his assistants when they suck, and isn't a geriatric looking for one last paycheck. Competency and energy, basically. We're going to probably suck for a bit because we lost so many players from the depth chart over the last year(we lost 9 starters to transfer or going undrafted with eligibility left), but over the long run we'll always have talent.

We just need to actually make a decent hire for once. At this point I can only assume they're keeping Ray and Herm around to fall on the sword, but the next hires have to be good ones. Which means we're going to hire Bronco Mendenhall, who may or may not even want to coach anymore.