• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okie St. makes Oregon look like Harvard when it comes to academics. The schools like Furd and UCLA were massively against adding Ok st and TTU.

I'm glad the pac16 never happened. Texas would of eventually started demanding to control everything like they always do and probably would of been responsible of breaking up the conf in 8 to 10 years.
It would have destroyed the Big 12 and forced Texas to make a decision on the LHN.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would have destroyed the Big 12 and forced Texas to make a decision on the LHN.
Texas would of never given up the LHN or agreed to equal revenue model. I knew the deal was always dead man walking because of that.

I'm glad it failed.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas would of never given up the LHN or agreed to equal revenue model. I knew the deal was always dead man walking because of that.

I'm glad it failed.
Why would Texas demand more? Because they would see Scott's missteps and want change? Since realignment, what has Texas done in regards of controlling the Big 12? Obviously not on the football, basketball or baseball fields.. politically? Seems like all schools are happy, even ou (who made the most noise about leaving after the realignment shuffle).

Like I said before I bet Larry would have allowed Texas to bring it's LHN deal in tow looking back. The PAC Network would be carried in Texas despite the LHN deal since the network would still show Texas games.

As far as the Pac conference headquarters, I thought he set up shop in San Francisco (renting not buying) to be close to the powerbroker in the conference, Stanford?

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Texas demand more? Because they would see Scott's missteps and want change? Since realignment, what has Texas done in regards of controlling the Big 12? Obviously not on the football, basketball or baseball fields.. politically? Seems like all schools are happy, even ou (who made the most noise about leaving after the realignment shuffle).

Like I said before I bet Larry would have allowed Texas to bring it's LHN deal in tow looking back. The PAC Network would be carried in Texas despite the LHN deal since the network would still show Texas games.

As far as the Pac conference headquarters, I thought he set up shop in San Francisco (renting not buying) to be close to the powerbroker in the conference, Stanford?

That was his mistake. Stanford is a very powerful university but their athletics are an after thought, even on their own campus

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was his mistake. Stanford is a very powerful university but their athletics are an after thought, even on their own campus

Kind of a dumb statement to make when Stanford has won the last 25 Director's Cups.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of a dumb statement to make when Stanford has won the last 25 Director's Cups.

How many people are going and watching their gymnastic matches? Come on now, you're thinking like Larry Scott now. Football and Basketball (to a lesser extent) pay the bills. Stanford has almost no support in those two sports. Even when they are successful, nobody really cares. When you live in the Bay Area, almost nobody is talking about Stanford's athletics. No amount of national championships in beach volleyball will change that.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many people are going and watching their gymnastic matches? Come on now, you're thinking like Larry Scott now. Football and Basketball (to a lesser extent) pay the bills. Stanford has almost no support in those two sports. Even when they are successful, nobody really cares. When you live in the Bay Area, almost nobody is talking about Stanford's athletics. No amount of national championships in beach volleyball will change that.

"Stanford doesn't care about sports"

ALSO

"Stanford has more NCAA championships than any other school"

They don't care as much about the revenue sports as Oregon does...but they are an incredibly successful athletic program.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Stanford doesn't care about sports"

ALSO

"Stanford has more NCAA championships than any other school"

They don't care as much about the revenue sports as Oregon does...but they are an incredibly successful athletic program.

They may be successful at the non-revenue sports but that was never the point. The point is Stanford athletics are an after thought by their students and alumni and they are certainly an after thought in the Bay Area. They will never be the program that is going to make the PAC 12 marketable nationally. You're thinking like Larry Scott. Problem is people don't care about their success in non-revenue sports, not even their own fans.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may be successful at the non-revenue sports but that was never the point. The point is Stanford athletics are an after thought by their students and alumni and they are certainly an after thought in the Bay Area. They will never be the program that is going to make the PAC 12 marketable nationally. You're thinking like Larry Scott. Problem is people don't care about their success in non-revenue sports, not even their own fans.

Plenty of Stanford alumni are proud of their school's athletic tradition of excellence. Many of those people don't reside in Palo Alto.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plenty of Stanford alumni are proud of their school's athletic tradition of excellence. Many of those people don't reside in Palo Alto.

I'm sure tons of Stanford alumni are glued to their TVs watching Stanford gymnastics and beach volleyball.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they could get the PAC12 network, they might.

I'll give you something. I used to say anybody could do a better job than Larry Scott. After our last few conversations, I've revised that to "most people" could do a better job than Larry Scott.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give you something. I used to say anybody could do a better job than Larry Scott. After our last few conversations, I've revised that to "most people" could do a better job than Larry Scott.

The problems with the PAC12 have little to nothing to do with the location of the conference office not being in SoCal, and are largely about poor performance in interconference play and failure to make the PAC12 network available in every household.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problems with the PAC12 have little to nothing to do with the location of the conference office not being in SoCal, and are largely about poor performance in interconference play and failure to make the PAC12 network available in every household.

I never said the PAC 12's problems have to do with the conference HQ. I just pointed out that LA would be the smarter choice and moving to Sacramento would be insanely stupid.

The PAC 12's problems on the field have to do with USC being down for a decade and Oregon being down the 2nd half of the decade. If the PAC 12 is going to be successful in the 2020s, Oregon, USC and Washington need to be playing at a high level.

Their problems with the Network was the decision to go at creating and distributing the PAC 12 Network alone. The reason the other networks have better access is because they worked with ESPN and FOX to get on national TV. The PAC 12 thought they could do it on their own. They gambled and failed.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said the PAC 12's problems have to do with the conference HQ. I just pointed out that LA would be the smarter choice and moving to Sacramento would be insanely stupid.

The PAC 12's problems on the field have to do with USC being down for a decade and Oregon being down the 2nd half of the decade. If the PAC 12 is going to be successful in the 2020s, Oregon, USC and Washington need to be playing at a high level.

Their problems with the Network was the decision to go at creating and distributing the PAC 12 Network alone. The reason the other networks have better access is because they worked with ESPN and FOX to get on national TV. The PAC 12 thought they could do it on their own. They gambled and failed.

Even with that gamble, they could have structured deals with the providers to get initial access, and if successful, raise the rates slowly over time.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with that gamble, they could have structured deals with the providers to get initial access, and if successful, raise the rates slowly over time.

They could have but it's infinitely harder to do that alone. ESPN forces providers to air the ACC and SEC Network if they want access to ESPN. Conference networks are hard to sell on their own.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could have but it's infinitely harder to do that alone. ESPN forces providers to air the ACC and SEC Network if they want access to ESPN. Conference networks are hard to sell on their own.

Agreed.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't he the one that set up the crap tv deals and lousy bowl tie ins?

Those cost the conference money, but more importantly, they cost the conference exposure. Kids don't want to play where they aren't going to be on tv a lot.

One of the reasons that USC virtually always recruits well, even when we're down, is because we're the 1 PAC school that consistently gets shown on national tv. At the very least, USC/ND is almost always a national broadcast.

But hey, Larry Scott gave us "PAC After Dark" so that we can have games starting when everyone on the East Coast and in the Midwest are headed to bed and people on the West Coast are falling asleep before the game is over. Yay!!

Most of those bowls were already affiliated to the pac. If anything pac bowls got a bit better under scott

before Scott
BCS if 1 or 2
1. Rose (BCS) (Champion) vs Big 10 champ or other ranked
2. Holiday vs Big XII 3
3. Sun vs Big East 2/ Notre Dame or Big XII 5
4. Las Vegas vs Mountain West 1
5. Emerald vs ACC 7
6. Armed Forces vs Mountain west 3

Now
Playoff if 1-4
1. Rose Champ or next highest rank or other NY6 when Rose is semi
2. Valero Alamo Bowl vs. Big 12 2
3. San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl vs. ACC 4
4. Las Vegas Bowl vs. SEC 6 alternates with Big 10 4
5. Redbox Bowl vs. Big Ten 8
6. Sun Bowl vs. ACC 8
7. Walk-On’s Independence Bowl vs. Army
8. LA Bowl vs. Mountain West 3

rumors of Independence being in the mix.
Holiday might fall below Vegas with the new Stadium

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
before Scott
BCS if 1 or 2
1. Rose (BCS) (Champion) vs Big 10 champ or other ranked
2. Holiday vs Big XII 3
3. Sun vs Big East 2/ Notre Dame or Big XII 5
4. Las Vegas vs Mountain West 1
5. Emerald vs ACC 7
6. Armed Forces vs Mountain west 3

Now
Playoff if 1-4
1. Rose Champ or next highest rank or other NY6 when Rose is semi
2. Valero Alamo Bowl vs. Big 12 2
3. San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl vs. ACC 4
4. Las Vegas Bowl vs. SEC 6 alternates with Big 10 4
5. Redbox Bowl vs. Big Ten 8
6. Sun Bowl vs. ACC 8
7. Walk-On’s Independence Bowl vs. Army
8. LA Bowl vs. Mountain West 3

rumors of Independence being in the mix.
Holiday might fall below Vegas with the new Stadium

Yeah, not impressed.