• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I will never understand how Larry Scott still has a job let alone the highest paid commissioner. Any person who thinks the Pac 12 is better than any other conference because our women's tennis or (insert your Olympic sport) is better than theirs deserves to be put down.

And I'm pretty sure his next idea is to turn all the uniforms into soccer style uniforms where they are billboards for sponsors since he can't generate money for the conference.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he did ok at first. but his good new inovative ideas died quick. like he outlived his usefulness after a year or 2.
kind of like Sark at UW. he was the right guy to get them back to decent but everyone knew he was never gonna get them to the next level.
Wasn’t his ideas, but the execution of them.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will never understand how you could allow your network to not be carried by the biggest satellite provider.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Scott <--- That motherfvker needs to go yesterday. If they won't fire him then someone needs to hire a hitman and take his ass out before he does anymore damage. I wouldn't let that fvcker manage a lemonade stand.
If you listen to his interviews at the media day event, and read about what the schools themselves are saying, they are entirely happy with what his office is doing. :L Most of the schools are more concerned with being the conference of champions and seem content with not having an overall conference wide agenda for football or mens basketball. He's graded by the schools as much on Olympic sports as the big ones which is entirely stupid.

The network is a bust. Not having DirecTV STILL is amazingly bad. Not going OFF publicly when one of the premier games of the year for the conference was preempted for 1 full quarter by god damned truck racing was really bad.

I don't think any fans of the main sports are ever going to feel confident this conference is headed back in the right direction until Scott is gone, and it appears he's not going anywhere anytime soon based on what AD's and school presidents are saying. At least publicly.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

455185218-e1410464860423.jpg

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you listen to his interviews at the media day event, and read about what the schools themselves are saying, they are entirely happy with what his office is doing. :L Most of the schools are more concerned with being the conference of champions and seem content with not having an overall conference wide agenda for football or mens basketball. He's graded by the schools as much on Olympic sports as the big ones which is entirely stupid.

The network is a bust. Not having DirecTV STILL is amazingly bad. Not going OFF publicly when one of the premier games of the year for the conference was preempted for 1 full quarter by god damned truck racing was really bad.

I don't think any fans of the main sports are ever going to feel confident this conference is headed back in the right direction until Scott is gone, and it appears he's not going anywhere anytime soon based on what AD's and school presidents are saying. At least publicly.

He seems to have little to no idea how this college sports thing works.

At virtually every school across the country, the "Olympic sports", etc. are paid for by football and basketball. Pretty much all of them lose money to some extent, even baseball.

If he continues to pretend that football and basketball are no more important than other sports...it makes one wonder how much longer the "conference of champions" will be able to win championships in any sport.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seems to have little to no idea how this college sports thing works.

At virtually every school across the country, the "Olympic sports", etc. are paid for by football and basketball. Pretty much all of them lose money to some extent, even baseball.

If he continues to pretend that football and basketball are no more important than other sports...it makes one wonder how much longer the "conference of champions" will be able to win championships in any sport.
At every turn he uses his built in excuse that it is the schools directing him to care more about sports overall (read: non revenue generating sports) than the marquee sports.

I'm hard pressed to think those presidents and AD's are really pushing this and as happy with him overall as he professes. Surely they understand how far behind the other conferences they are falling and why that's happening. They can't very well publicly show signs of unrest without making it worse.

The problem is those fools running the schools keep giving this jackass raises. So while they have to know how far they are sliding, they appear to have no interest at all in removing Scott or holding his office accountable for it.

So we kind of have to blame the schools for this mess. He works for them ffs.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At every turn he uses his built in excuse that it is the schools directing him to care more about sports overall (read: non revenue generating sports) than the marquee sports.

I'm hard pressed to think those presidents and AD's are really pushing this and as happy with him overall as he professes. Surely they understand how far behind the other conferences they are falling and why that's happening. They can't very well publicly show signs of unrest without making it worse.

The problem is those fools running the schools keep giving this jackass raises. So while they have to know how far they are sliding, they appear to have no interest at all in removing Scott or holding his office accountable for it.

So we kind of have to blame the schools for this mess. He works for them ffs.

They do place too much importance on the whole conference of champions crap. The starting times for games are ridiculous. Constantly having your top teams play road games on a Thurs night when the home team had a bye the week before has done a lot of damage .

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do place too much importance on the whole conference of champions crap. The starting times for games are ridiculous. Constantly having your top teams play road games on a Thurs night when the home team had a bye the week before has done a lot of damage .
FWIW, he did say at the media day event that the schools decided (again, deflecting any responsibility himself for league rules) that they would no longer schedule friday night road games for a team that was on the road the prior week.

That's it.

That's all they changed in terms of how bad they screw with the teams in this conference.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else get stoked when Larry Scott started talking about FANG?

Innovative.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilner's latest look into the Pac12 network fiasco also squarely points at the schools themselves as a big part of the problem.

Could AT&T walk away from the Pac-12 Networks (and take DirecTV with it)?

Another source explained that the conference and AT&T have been destined for separation since Sept. ’15, the last time they seriously engaged in negotiations over DirecTV carriage.

At the time, AT&T had just completed the takeover of DirecTV and pitched a deal to Scott that provided distribution for the networks on DTV in exchange for wireless rights across all 12 campuses.

Scott recommended the deal to the presidents and chancellors. They rejected it by an 11-0 vote (Washington State abstained), an outcome that undermined Scott’s reputation with the campuses and the Pac-12’s relationship with AT&T.

Whether the terms of that deal were ultimately entirely desireable or not, Scott recommended it and the schools shot it down. That killed AT&T's desire to come back to the table.

The schools do not want to give AT&T the other media rights they want in order to make this DTV problem go away. There really isn't much Scott can do about it if the schools themselves simply aren't interested in negotiating the terms AT&T wants.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could AT&T walk away from the Pac-12 Networks (and take DirecTV with it)?
The schools do not want to give AT&T the other media rights they want in order to make this DTV problem go away. There really isn't much Scott can do about it if the schools themselves simply aren't interested in negotiating the terms AT&T wants.
I'm not sure what all that offer by AT&T entailed, but it sounds to me like they wanted exclusive rights to provide communications infrastructure at all Pac-12 campuses. I would vote against that too. It is an exceptionally poor way to operate in a University setting, where communications infrastructure needs will vary campus to campus for a variety of reasons.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what all that offer by AT&T entailed, but it sounds to me like they wanted exclusive rights to provide communications infrastructure at all Pac-12 campuses. I would vote against that too. It is an exceptionally poor way to operate in a University setting, where communications infrastructure needs will vary campus to campus for a variety of reasons.
Sure, we have no way of knowing whether that was wireless streaming, such as the uverse stuff they already had and an expansion for that, or something to do with wireless 4G/comms stuff.

The point was Scott tried to broker a deal and sent it to the schools and they killed it, but of course Scott gets the blame.

I don't support Scott in any way, but there are a lot of folks simply making every bad thing that happens in this league on his head and this league has had a long history of such bad decisions and issues before him and will long after him. That's why it took so long to expand to 12, adopt the BCS stuff, and go through every other inevitable change. The schools are ran by ultra controlling and largely liberal types with their heads squarely inserted in their backsides.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding is Directv fell through originally because they wanted to package the pac 12 network in a way Scott didn’t like. Now that AT&T owns directv, if they’re wanting more, it’s irrelevant. That deal should have been done from the start.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is where I got my anger from was his interview with Softy. Scott has to be the luckiest man alive that most all of the president's and AD's who hired him are gone. I guess this is what the conference gets for hiring a dude from the women's tennis world.