• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Overrated QB's

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ dumb post. Tarkenton, Elway, Namath, and Swann are all HOFers.

Posting nonsense on the internet is apparently overrated by those who choose to do so, however.

Yeah, after I saw him list Elway as the, "most overrated QB", I lost interest... That's just insane...

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As opposed to your NFL-head-coach credentials? :noidea:

Both have won a lot of games & had some playoff success; both lost a SB. Newton has a career 88.3 passer rating; Colin has 88.5. Colin's TD / INT ratio is much better; Cam's had more success running the ball (which never lasts very long unless you're also a truly efficient passer like Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers). Both had 2 seasons where you can say they were great, and the rest was "meh."

Kaepernick is a mediocre QB. He's had an almost identical career to Cam. Cam is the most overrated player in the NFL right now.

Except Cam is more of a leader to me, and able to do more, with less. I would venture to guess that Colin had much better support around him, and I know he had a better RB in Gore than what Cam has had to work with.

I see your point, but the truth is Colin correctly (unless something has changed) isn't a starting QB, whereas 98% of the current NFL teams would take Cam in a heart beat.

Cam has thrown 117 TD's since 2011, whereas Colin has thrown 56 during that same time. Colin's best season saw him 21 TD's, 8 INT's, for 3,197 yards. Cam's best season had 35 TD passes, 10 INT, and over 3,800 yards. To me, that's a significant difference. And while Cam has certainly thrown his share of INT's, you say he's had 2 good years, but IMO (and they are a rival of the Falcons so I tend to watch them a fair amount), he's had 3 years where he has consistently improved from the year before.

And this is why you don't understand football. You get star struck by the "electric" play, but you forget about all the s**tty play. Vick had stretches of amazing football, but it never lasted for very long because defenses adjusted. And the guy was a fumble machine (and injury prone because his college-style play got him blown up in the NFL).

I don't, but remember, I'm from Atlanta where Vick is hated more than anywhere else in the world. The Falcons were garbage without him.

Vick was a game changer, and he made defense sit on their heels. You are correct, he was also a highlight machine which can get people to appreciate someone more than maybe they are, but don't say I don't know football because honestly, you know absolutely nothing about me.

However, consider this, here in Atlanta, Vick got paid to be 'THE MAN', running around, dodging tackles, and out running defenses.

In Philly, he morphed and changed to where he threw more and in a couple of seasons was actually successful doing so. 2010 was probably his best year in terms of running the game and being the leader.

I don't think he's HoF worthy, but I don't see how you can say he's overrated when all I personally hear about him was just how exciting he was to watch and how much people just flocked to watch him play, but you may hear different where you are.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Cam has thrown 117 TD's since 2011, whereas Colin has thrown 56 during that same time.

Stop right there. Total numbers are the most meaningless stat in the NFL. They say nothing. Matt Stafford has some of the largest totals of anyone since he's been in the league. They all depend on total attempts, total possessions, how fast paced your offense is (Harbaugh's offense was the slowest-paced offense in the league). And I'm not defending Kaeptard; he sucks. But Cam hasn't accomplished more than he has.

Much better stats to look at: points per possession, yards per attempt, TD to INT ratio, passer rating and so on.

I don't, but remember, I'm from Atlanta where Vick is hated more than anywhere else in the world. The Falcons were garbage without him.

They were garbage WITH him most of the time. And a lot of teams are garbage if they lose their starting QB. That's always been a silly argument. You can't look at Vick's amazing stretches of brilliance without looking at his sucktastic runs when defenses figured him out (kind of like with Kaepernick). And overall, Vick was a mediocre QB. Middle of the pack. He was a turnover machine (fumbles mostly) and injury prone to boot. People were just star struck because of the highlight plays he made.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yeah, after I saw him list Elway as the, "most overrated QB", I lost interest... That's just insane...

Elway's efficiency numbers were below the league average (YPA, completion percentage & passer rating). That's not something a guy deserving of the hype he got should do.

Troy Aikman had about as good of a career as Elway did (although Elway did have more longevity due to fewer concussions).

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway's efficiency numbers were below the league average (YPA, completion percentage & passer rating). That's not something a guy deserving of the hype he got should do.

Troy Aikman had about as good of a career as Elway did (although Elway did have more longevity due to fewer concussions).

There is so much more that goes into a great QB though than what you have listed. You are looking at one piece of a very large puzzle when determining QB value.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
John Elway is the most over-rated QB of all time ? :scratch: I strongly disagree, the guy led the Broncos to 5 fricking Super-Bowls.... Being a Seahawks fan I remember Elway very well in the AFC West, the guy was a pain in my #@$^ back in the day.... NOT a chance is he the most over-rated QB, that's insanity ...

Do you understand the difference between "overrated" and "bad?"

If people talked about Dan Fouts being the greatest QB of all time, he would be vastly overrated. But people don't talk about him like that. If he were a completely forgotten NFL figure, he'd be underrated.

Some players are rated right around where they should be (Peyton Manning, for example). Some don't get the credit they deserve (Kurt Warner, for example). Some get far more credit than they deserve (McNabb, Newton, Favre, Vick, Elway).

Vince Young was insanely overrated for a while too, but people caught on.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
There is so much more that goes into a great QB though than what you have listed. You are looking at one piece of a very large puzzle when determining QB value.

It's a large enough piece of the puzzle to put a pretty decent sized gap between Elway and the top-tier QBs of all time.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kurt Warner was mediocre and had just as many shit seasons as good ones.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kurt Warner was mediocre and had just as many shit seasons as good ones.
I wouldn't say mediocre. Just an injury held him back a bit and a super small sample size.

Kinda like the QB version of Terrell Davis when he was on the Rams and then he had a good enough stint at Arizona to make himself a star. QB is more demanding, though, and he probably needed to win at least 1 more SB to really go down as a great.

Lifer

Accountable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Vikes fan I wanna start by saying Fran Tarkenton was overrated. Look at his playoff and Super Bowl numbers.

Most overrated QB of all time is John Elway, I can't for the life of me understand why people have him in their top 10. His numbers aren't good at all until TD arrived and he sucked in the Super Bowl when he didn't have TD.

Joe Namath for obvious reasons is also way overrated...

I might start a WR overrated thread because Lynn Swann should be talked about too...

Maybe overrated but sure fun to watch run around.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say mediocre. Just an injury held him back a bit and a super small sample size.

Kinda like the QB version of Terrell Davis when he was on the Rams and then he had a good enough stint at Arizona to make himself a star. QB is more demanding, though, and he probably needed to win at least 1 more SB to really go down as a great.

I consider him mediocre because I can't call anyone "great" or even "very good" when they have a 5 year run of being terribly below average in the middle of their career.

Usually QB's get the benefit of the doubt if they start their career slow but really pick it up until they retire(Elway) or they have a great career except for the last few years when they start to break down and it shows(Manning), but someone who does that in the middle of his career I don't think should be considered on the level that some people like to place him in.

Kurt's first 3 seasons he put good numbers and his last 3 years he put up good numbers but I can't overlook the 5 year period(2 with STL, 1 with NYG, 2 with ARI) that he was a bottom 10 QB. Now of course injuries were a factor but even when he wasn't injured he was still below average during that time period.

Honestly to me Warner belongs in that Eli Manning level of QB's category where sure he's good at times but he's nothing special.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I consider him mediocre because I can't call anyone "great" or even "very good" when they have a 5 year run of being terribly below average in the middle of their career.

Usually QB's get the benefit of the doubt if they start their career slow but really pick it up until they retire(Elway) or they have a great career except for the last few years when they start to break down and it shows(Manning), but someone who does that in the middle of his career I don't think should be considered on the level that some people like to place him in.

Kurt's first 3 seasons he put good numbers and his last 3 years he put up good numbers but I can't overlook the 5 year period(2 with STL, 1 with NYG, 2 with ARI) that he was a bottom 10 QB. Now of course injuries were a factor but even when he wasn't injured he was still below average during that time period.

Honestly to me Warner belongs in that Eli Manning level of QB's category where sure he's good at times but he's nothing special.
The problem I have with this is that his first 3 years he put up historic numbers not good numbers.

2002 he had the injury

2003 he was on the pine IIRC

His numbers after that all check out though his record certainly took a hit.

His career is different than El Manning. Way too hard to compare. I would put him slightly ahead of Rich Gannon and Trent Green.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some of the most overrated QBs in my lifetime:

John Elway. What, you say? Yes. Elway. I crunched the numbers, and John Elway was actually BELOW AVERAGE for NFL QBs in terms of passer rating, yards per attempt and completion percentage. Elway is far closer to a guy like Troy Aikman than he is a guy like Peyton Manning. Postseason success: check. Clean, consistent, efficient QB play? Not really.

sanford-and-son-group-laugh-o.gif

Elway: 148-82-1 / 51,475 passing yards & 300 TD's
Aikman: 94-71 / 32,942 passing yards & 165 TD's

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool topic. Wild to see some of the placing of some of these QBs. I hate Cam Newton. I think he is an arrogant asshole. A guy that only his team can love. But on the field he has done some wild shit. Way to early to call him one way or the other in his career but for now he is top notch.

If I had to come up with the most overrated I would say Quincy Carter. JJ had him rated higher than high and tried to sell that crap to the fans.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you understand the difference between "overrated" and "bad?"

If people talked about Dan Fouts being the greatest QB of all time, he would be vastly overrated. But people don't talk about him like that. If he were a completely forgotten NFL figure, he'd be underrated.

Some players are rated right around where they should be (Peyton Manning, for example). Some don't get the credit they deserve (Kurt Warner, for example). Some get far more credit than they deserve (McNabb, Newton, Favre, Vick, Elway).

Vince Young was insanely overrated for a while too, but people caught on.

I understand the difference.... But he quoted that Elway was the most OVER-RATED QB in NFL history...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing it's an age thing. Elway was THE guy for those Broncos teams until TD came along. Their D was usually average to bleh, and even the poor Seahawks teams of the era would be in a LOT of games with the Broncos. Who was it who'd routinely tear their hearts out? Elway.

The Broncos 0 fer in S-Bowls until TD wasn't due to Elway being over-rated. Those TEAMS were over-rated, and the biggest reason they were in the playoffs year after year was because of Elway.

As a Hawks fan, it's kinda' ironic, because the criticism I keep hearing about Wilson is that he's never had to put the team on his back. Which is exactly what Elway had to do until Davis came along.

At any rate, as games became more important, as the stakes got higher, Elway got BETTER, not worse.

Having said that, he couldn't get over the hump against the NFC juggernauts of the day for the Lombardi, but there's no shame in that. Those were some of the best NFL squads ever.

I couldn't STAND ol' horseface back in the day. No higher compliment really from a fan of another team. The guy was damned good. He'd have some stinkers now and then sure, but his 4th quarter comebacks would rip your heart out. Ask Browns fans about that.

Shaggy

Administrator
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this was asked yet, but what do any of you consider overrated/underrated? What baseline do you use to make up your belief that a player is over/underrated? I think it's all just person's opinions.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this was asked yet, but what do any of you consider overrated/underrated? What baseline do you use to make up your belief that a player is over/underrated? I think it's all just person's opinions.

Make me a MOD and I'll tell you.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump for Brett Favre.

Here are some of the most overrated QBs in my lifetime:

Brett Favre. The interception champion pissed away far more potential wins than he did winning the game single-handedly.

Cam Newton. How someone whose career has been almost identical to Colin Kaepernick's in terms of efficiency and team success can be considered an elite QB is beyond insane. :what:

Donnovan McNabb. He was the Alex Smith of the early '00s in terms of how mediocre he was, but he got to the pro bowl every friggn' year over guys who consistently outperformed him. This isn't to say he was terrible, but the dude was never anything special. He had one really good year (so did Trent Dilfer), and that was the only time you saw any greatness.

John Elway. What, you say? Yes. Elway. I crunched the numbers, and John Elway was actually BELOW AVERAGE for NFL QBs in terms of passer rating, yards per attempt and completion percentage. Elway is far closer to a guy like Troy Aikman than he is a guy like Peyton Manning. Postseason success: check. Clean, consistent, efficient QB play? Not really.

Michael Vick. Like Favre, his stretches of brilliance make everyone forget how s**tty he played the rest of the time. Pro bowls almost every year; 1 year where he deserved it. 1.
Favre was in the top 5 greatest of all time. Your analysis stinks.