• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our Salary CAP situation: Could we cut Bradford??

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Salary Cap

Although the Rams are a relatively young team and have the benefit of all those cheap draft picks from the RG3 trade, they have a number of highly paid players on the roster (notably, defensive stalwarts Chris Long and James Laurinaitis) and have invested heavily in free agency over the past several seasons. As a result, St. Louis's cap situation isn't anywhere near as rosy as you might think. According to Spotrac, the Rams already have $123.6 million committed to the salary cap for 2014, which is expected to fall at $126.3 million. That's without signing any of their pending free agents or fitting salaries for their draft class — with two first-rounders, remember — underneath the cap. If anything, the Rams will need to create space for themselves heading into 2014.
That's possible, but it's going to come with some repercussions, too. The most obvious move the Rams could make is to release Bradford, who has been a microcosm of this team during his time in St. Louis: bursts of promise amid long-running injury woes and disappointing performances. Bradford showed some signs of improvement during his seven-game run at the helm this year, but he remains an extremely conservative passer who seems either unwilling or incapable of taking shots downfield. Put it this way: There are people who think Bradford's an absolute bust, and there are people who think Bradford has the potential to be a viable starter, but I can't think of a single person around the league who ever suggests to me that Bradford is a sure superstar quarterback anymore.
Honestly, for the Rams to justify paying Bradford his going rate, he needs to be a superstar. Because Bradford was a first overall pick under the old collective bargaining agreement, he's in the middle of a massive contract that pays him like he's already one of the best quarterbacks in the league. And 2014 is the first year in which Bradford's contract can be moved without incurring suicidal cap penalties. As an example, if the Rams had cut ties with Bradford before the 2013 season, he would have counted for $23.3 million on their cap, nearly twice his $12.6 million cap hold while on the active roster. That's not moveable.
In 2014, Bradford's cap hit balloons to $17.6 million. With just two years left on his deal, most of Bradford's enormous signing bonus has already been counted for on St. Louis's cap. If the Rans were to cut or trade Bradford, they would only incur $7.2 million of dead money charges on their cap next season. That means that moving on from Bradford would release $10.4 million in cap space for the Rams in 2014 while taking Bradford off the cap altogether for 2015. Given that the Rams will have the second pick in a quarterback-laden draft pool, it's hard to imagine they won't move on from their former top pick and find a better use for that $10 million elsewhere on the roster.
Bradford isn't the only veteran with an outsize contract. Cornerback Cortland Finnegan was a prize signing for the Rams from Tennessee just two offseasons ago, but his tenure in St. Louis has been a disaster. Finnegan has played poorly when on the field and has struggled to stay healthy, with a "thigh" injury (NFL code for a hamstring issue) and then a fractured orbital bone sidelining him for most of 2013.
The Rams will have to pay Finnegan a $3 million roster bonus that is guaranteed for injury this offseason, but they still might want to consider releasing him. Finnegan has a $6 million base salary and will cost $10 million (including that roster bonus) on next year's cap. The Rams could release him early in the offseason and save $4 million on their cap in the process, or they could choose to designate him as a post–June 1 release, which would save them $6 million on next year's cap while pushing $2 million of the dead money from Finnegan's deal onto the 2015 salary cap. It would be tough to swallow the hit on Finnegan's contract after paying the Jeff Fisher favorite a whopping $27 million over two years, but those figures are a sunk cost by now. The release would give the Rams valuable cap space to use on a player who can perform better than Finnegan.
Two offensive linemen could also leave town. The Rams could cut ties with guard Harvey Dahl, who is due $4 million that could be saved in full if the team releases him. They might also opt to dump center Scott Wells, who has played just 19 games in his two seasons with the team while breaking his leg and his foot. Releasing Wells would wipe away a $6.5 million cap hold while placing just $2 million in dead money on St. Louis's 2014 cap. In all, releasing Bradford, Dahl, Finnegan, and Wells would combine to likely save the Rams just less than $25 million in salary-cap space for next year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Read

From afar...STL has been on the climb talent wise...spot on imo with your assessment of Bradford.

I'm mocking Clowney 2, and Robinson OT AUB 13, to STL...Matthews is the #1 OT but imo not ready for LT in the NFL next yr...Robinson might not be either, but you land a potential pro bowl DE...I would not be surprised if STL traded the pick...we're getting a lot of talk about ATL and or Tampa wanting to move up.

If STL trades down, they are most likely not taking a QB as I think they will go quickly....I'm moving Manziel into the 1st rd now...I would go as I mocked and pick up probably the 1st OG of the board Martin from ND @ 44. Bradford is a top 10 talent when he's on the field..., but he can't take a beating, gotta get better players in front of him I think. I would consider taking Mettenberg @ 44 but not with the intent to displace Bradford next yr...'15, yes.

Some of the FA are going to have to go to create cap space.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way we trade/cut/restructure Bradford. Releasing him would save us a little bit of money but, who do we replace him with? Can we say without a doubt that anyone in this draft is better than he is? I can't, and honestly either can anyone else. Do we replace him with a FA QB? Other than Manning and Brees how many FA QB's come to a new team and light it up? I'd say about 95% of FA or traded QB's end up failing miserably. Don't get me wrong I'm not sticking up for Bradford, I'll admit he needs to stay healthy and play better. However, we really can't do anything with him AND he knows it! I think this will be his final year as a Ram if he doesn't dramatically turn this team around. #1 picks are supposed to carry teams on their shoulders and as of yet he has not. I will say he was playing pretty well this season before the injury and we can chalk that up to any excuses we want but people just want to see one thing, Wins.
As I've said on other post if we cut Wells, Dahl and Finnegan we'll have around 12 mil in cap room. You can also add another 4.1 mil to the cap because of J Longs IR status at the end of the season. He had a clause in his contract that said if he's put on season ending IR we're only on the hook for half of his guaranteed money which was set around 8mil. Sucks for him, win for us. So at the end of the day we'll have about 16mil cap room, which is plenty for FA now that we have a designated rookie cap.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe you're correct Jacobarch, Bradford isn't going anywhere unfortunately. But he could show that he's a team player by restructuring his contract so that we have more flexibility in the FA market. The rookie salary cap will remain the same regardless. We definitely need to have more $$$ available to compete. Look at what Seattle is doing. Of course they better do it now though because when Russell Wilson among others come up for new contracts, they'll have to make some painful decisions as well.

We absolutely have to jettison Finnegan and Dahl to save money. Dahl is replaceable in the draft, and Finnegan we could replace with a good mannequin from Wal-Mart.

But Bradford's contract is the key, and you would think that the Rams must have at least approached him with the idea of restructuring. His play has been mediocre up to this point in his career, and he also has proven that he's not very durable.

I'm just expecting plenty of surprises in this year's off-season. With so many ways the FA market could go, and an outrageously unpredictable draft, it's just too difficult to even speculate what this team will look like starting next season. How often do things work out the way the "experts" see them going? And I suspect this off-season in the NFL will shape up to be one of the wildest ones yet.

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, let's put this Sam Bradford issue to rest OK. Sam Bradford is and will be the quarterback of the St. Louis Rams next year and years to come. Jeff Fisher and Les Snead have committed to Sam. They will continue to surround Sam with talent on offense.

Another thing, we will NOT draft Jake Matthews with our first pick in this May's NFL draft. Jeff Fisher has never and will never take an OL with his first pick. This pick will be traded to Cleveland for additional picks and the Rams will select WR Sammy Watkins at number 4. Yes, you heard it first. I say this 'cause Jeff and Les saw the exact same thing I saw during the Orange Bowl against Ohio State. This guy is a beast and will fill a much needed whole.

GO RAMS!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, let's put this Sam Bradford issue to rest OK. Sam Bradford is and will be the quarterback of the St. Louis Rams next year and years to come. Jeff Fisher and Les Snead have committed to Sam. They will continue to surround Sam with talent on offense.

Another thing, we will NOT draft Jake Matthews with our first pick in this May's NFL draft. Jeff Fisher has never and will never take an OL with his first pick. This pick will be traded to Cleveland for additional picks and the Rams will select WR Sammy Watkins at number 4. Yes, you heard it first. I say this 'cause Jeff and Les saw the exact same thing I saw during the Orange Bowl against Ohio State. This guy is a beast and will fill a much needed whole.

GO RAMS!
The Sammy Watkins love is reminding me of the Tavon Austin love from last year but hey, champions are built from the outside in so lets so for it.

We have no idea that they'll do with this pick at this early juncture.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TEB, you are PARTIALLY correct. We will trade with Atlanta (who DESPARATELY wants Clowney or Matthews) and move down to #6 and get an extra 2nd rounder. In theory, like I have posted before, we could essentially get picks from BOTH Cleveland AND Atlanta, move to #6 and get Watkins

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not Watkins love. We all just watched the Orange bowl. Lol

It was a redonk performance.

And I don't remember much Tavon love last year. I know I didn't want a slot 175 lb WR in the top 10.

I wanted Keenan Allen

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Rams are stuck with a mediocre Quarterback until he decides to retire? :omg: He had better put away his XBox and go outside and practice throwing. I sure hope he doesn't show up wearing a freaking knee brace next season. Just sayin...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is going to be a lot of pressure for the Rams to at least look at the QB options. This is the type of thing that gets GMs fired if they fail and Bradford definitely has at least 2 or 3 things going against him.

The Rams defense should be good enough to keep the Rams from getting a top 2 pick for awhile. This is the last chance this regime will get to draft a QB. Id be really nervous about keeping Bradford if there is a QB that even remotely looks like he has franchise QB potential.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I don't remember much Tavon love last year. I know I didn't want a slot 175 lb WR in the top 10.

I wanted Keenan Allen
Ive seen plenty of Watkins. Like Clowney, I know he'll be a great player. Tavon should also be a good (maybe great) player once we get someone who can throw him the ball.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is going to be a lot of pressure for the Rams to at least look at the QB options. This is the type of thing that gets GMs fired if they fail and Bradford definitely has at least 2 or 3 things going against him.

The Rams defense should be good enough to keep the Rams from getting a top 2 pick for awhile. This is the last chance this regime will get to draft a QB. Id be really nervous about keeping Bradford if there is a QB that even remotely looks like he has franchise QB potential.

I think Snead and Fisher know you don't have to have Brady or Rodgers to win, and their isn't one in the draft anyway. Bradford is way above avg QB he can make any throw, his only weakness imo is getting out of trouble when the pocket breaks down but he's not terrible at that either. he will never be Rogers but you don't have to have an elite QB to win. he doesn't turn it over and can throw it. I bet the Bengals would love to have Bradford right now.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet the Bengals would love to have Bradford right now.
We're in the same boat as the Titans are with Locker. We don't know what we have in Bradford...we just know that he gets banged up a lot.

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol wait for it ...wait for it.....wait for it...what about a Brittle Mike Vick for cheap. :noidea:

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol wait for it ...wait for it.....wait for it...what about a Brittle Mike Vick for cheap. :noidea:

brittle and turns it over lol. they won't cut Bradford but what if a team made a crazy offer for him?? they would have to think about it. I mean Clemons proved you can win games with a below avg QB.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned Bradford under the "Extra Expenses" section. I stated that he's a candidate for contract extension, but his injury kinda messes that up. Restructured contracts are not necessarily pay cuts. The amount of guaranteed money usually stays the same. It just alters WHEN that guaranteed money is paid. Not how much money is paid. With only two years left on his deal, restructuring his contract doesn't do much good. You can either send him packing or extend him. There's zero chance they cut him. He has trade value, so they would send him somewhere and get compensation rather than let him go for nothing. But that's unlikely. And an extension is questionable for two reasons 1) The Rams don't want to pay big money to a player who just injured his knee, and 2) Bradford probably feels he can up his value if he plays 16 games in 2014. I know fans hate to see what we pay Bradford when they see guys like Cam, Kaep, RGIII and Wilson playing on cheap rookie deals. But Bradford's average salary per year ($13 million) is right on the same level as other QB's of his caliber: Eli Manning ($16.25 million) Mark Sanchez ($13.4 Million, ouch) Flacco ($20.1 million) Matt Schaub ($15.5 million) Jay Cutler ($10 million) There's a good chance that Bradford's next contract will be in the same ballpark. If he has a good 2014, it will inflate to $15-17 million on average per year. It's a tough situation. It's painful to have Bradford cost $17 million in 2014 coming off an injury, but the options are limited. That's just the nature of the NFL... sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and overpay someone. It happens.

Found this article on Bradford a good read.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

GO RAMS!

~Sorry~

But I cant put it to rest. This is the off season and its being talked about.

Face up to reality here....if we stand tall on SB's current contract, $17.6 MILL. we will again be the doormat of the division/NFL in 2014. We wont be able to sign vets in free agency. Because Sammy is costing us SO MUCH. We will again be considered the youngest/inexperienced in the league. We will be lucky if we win >5 games. $17.6 mill is Top 5 money and like Bunctious stated, put down the dam x box and play.

I'm not saying we should get rid of him.

Take the Cowboy's for example, their team is WAAAY over the CAP and Tony Romo just signed a huge deal this time last year. There is already talk of him being asked to convert his base salary into guaranteed money to free up space. Why cant we do this with Bradford?

The Dallas Cowboys have some small salary-cap problems on their hand, at least temporarily, so they're going to need to shift around some deals to open up space in 2014. The most likely outcome is that they restructure some contracts to free up space without letting go of impact players.
The 'Boys have some veterans who should be open to taking a salary reduction, including defensive end DeMarcus Ware and tight end Jason Witten. According to Spotrac, those two players alone have a combined salary-cap hit of $24.4 million in 2014 alone.
Other players, such as quarterback Tony Romo, might convert part of their 2014 base salary into guaranteed money to free up even more cap space. Romo is due $13.5 million in base salary alone this year, with a $21.8 million cap hit. By converting, say, $10 million of his base salary into a signing bonus, his cap hit would shrink closer to $13 million or so.
And of course there will be some salary-cap casualties as well. Here are the top six players who could very well be on the roster bubble in 2014.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Take the Cowboy's for example, their team is WAAAY over the CAP and Tony Romo just signed a huge deal this time last year. There is already talk of him being asked to convert his base salary into guaranteed money to free up space. Why cant we do this with Bradford?"

I'm sure there is talks going on. Remember this is up to the Rams Brass to do. Bradford doesn't have a say. Bradford I'm sure would love too. it's a win situation for him he will just get more money up front. It's not like he will lose money.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wanted Keenan Allen

I love TA but I was also calling for Kennan on the ESPN boards. Everyone thought i was crazy because he ran a 4.7 40. Siiigh when are team/people going to start looking at their body of work rather than their 40 time?

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are you going to bring in that is better than Bradford RIGHT NOW? IF you cut him, you need a replacement, and a replacement that will better the team!

Until you can answer this question with a good response stop talking about this for THIS off-season. If he is playing bad next season, please bring up the idea of replacing him, but give him this off season to get healthy, lets get him some help in the draft (Watkins and a OT in the first) and see what he can do! If he fails, then we can be done with him. But Bradford has had little help and instability from the organization, and his injuries don't help, but didn't we know that was a chance when we drafted him? Also, terrible line help throughout his career hasn't helped keep him safe.