• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

our defense

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have this feeling that our defense has peaked 2 years ago in the playoffs.

That defense was downright nasty. Did not allow a rushing TD almost through the whole season.
Totally menaced Drew Brees and Eli in the playoffs. A little weak in the secondary (Whitner and Goldson allowed big plays) but overall downright nasty.

Fast forward two years, we just allowed 172 rushing yards to the Seahawks, and we've allowed 3 rushing TDs through 2 games. To me it's just not the same. It's a notch down.

Is it age? Is it that in the 1st year with Fangio players were responding more to the coach? A bit of complacency? Other teams figuring us out?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
......better step up or we will be in trouble.

jarrod49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe they just got tired at the end of the game from being out on the field for most of the game since the offense couldn't sustain a drive our put up more than 3 pts. what was the score at the half and how many passing yds and rushing yards did the seahawks have?????

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have this feeling that our defense has peaked 2 years ago in the playoffs.

That defense was downright nasty. Did not allow a rushing TD almost through the whole season.
Totally menaced Drew Brees and Eli in the playoffs. A little weak in the secondary (Whitner and Goldson allowed big plays) but overall downright nasty.

Fast forward two years, we just allowed 172 rushing yards to the Seahawks, and we've allowed 3 rushing TDs through 2 games. To me it's just not the same. It's a notch down.

Is it age? Is it that in the 1st year with Fangio players were responding more to the coach? A bit of complacency? Other teams figuring us out?

Maybe its related to playing two of the top 5 teams in the league to start the season? Lynch has always given us trouble (it was Lynch that ruined our no rushing TD streak two years ago).

Despite the pestering we gave Brees and Eli, we still gave up yards. Brees threw for 460 yards and they put up 32 points in that playoff game. Our defense was awesome in that game and New Orleans produced because they had an awesome offense. In the Giants game, despite the beating we gave Eli he threw for over 300 yards, and that Giants team was not as good offensively as the Packers or Seahawks this year.

In the game last week, despite our atrocious performance on offense, we held Wilson to 8/19 passing and Lynch to 3.5 yards per carry. Wilson threw for 142 yards, with 51 coming on one play. This was despite losing two starters on the defense fairly early in the game (Williams and Reid) and playing without a near starter all season (Cully).

Seattle ran 70 plays and didn't break 300 total yards (they were under 5 yards per play). They ran for 172 yards, but it took them 47 carries. They averaged under 4 ypc. We turned it over 5 times and we're dominated in ToP, yet only gave up 290 total yards.

I think this is an overreaction to a horrible performance by our offense.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we have issues against the texans or other teams i'll be concerned. the whole team seemed to run out of gas against seattle. seattle and green bay are 2 of the top teams in the nfc, i thought our d held up well for 6 quarters at least.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First I don't believe our defense is the problem. They are only averaging 337 total yards allowed per game and got 3 turnovers, the offense has turned the ball over 5 times, that's 5 times to many. Also they have not capitalized when they have the ball and have a total of 4 touchdowns in 2 games with 7 field goals.

The offense does not have sustainable drives to keep the defense off the field. That and a combination of turnovers will ware any defense out. When Alex Smith was the QB he had drives to keep the defense off the field. Maybe that is something the coaching staff needs to realize dink and dunk to open the deeper passing game. Having an average of 10 yards per passing play is nice but I want wins not a cock measuring contest.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First I don't believe our defense is the problem. They are only averaging 337 total yards allowed per game and got 3 turnovers, the offense has turned the ball over 5 times, that's 5 times to many. Also they have not capitalized when they have the ball and have a total of 4 touchdowns in 2 games with 7 field goals.

The offense does not have sustainable drives to keep the defense off the field. That and a combination of turnovers will ware any defense out. When Alex Smith was the QB he had drives to keep the defense off the field. Maybe that is something the coaching staff needs to realize dink and dunk to open the deeper passing game. Having an average of 10 yards per passing play is nice but I want wins not a cock measuring contest.

my rooster is bigger than your rooster

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense is just fine. As others have stated, they simply ran out of gas against Seattle. When the offense can't produce anything and give the defense a chance to actually rest, things like that happen.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:think:.......so r we fucked if the 49ers lose tomorrow?

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with the defense the end of last season and this season is turnovers. The first year with Harbaugh the 9ers had a ton of INTs and fumble recoveries.

2011 +28 turnovers
2012 + 9 turnovers
This year so far -2.

2011 Goldson and Rodgers each had 6 ints and brown 4, 23 total
2012 Goldson 3 Brown 2 Rodgers 1, 14 total
2013 Reid 2, Everyone else 0, 2 total

2011 Fumbles total 19 4 by Willis, J Smith and Harlason each had 3
2012 Fumbles total 15 3 by Aldon, Brooks, Willis, and Goldson 2
2011 Fumbles total 2 Bowman and muffed punt recovered.

So, in 2011 QBs were getting picked off and were scared to throw the ball so they ran. 9ers knew they were going to run so they played the run more and got stops causing 3rd and longs and then INTs. The defense was new and other teams did not know the weaknesses.

In 2012 QBs were not getting picked off and the 9ers reacted by playing more nickle defense trying to stop the passing game instead of base making it easier to run with no NT. The 9ers also played much better teams that could pass and the NFL rules changed making it easier to throw the ball. Rodgers played against slot receivers instead of wide outs and got torched a lot by quicker guys. Teams figured out that Whitner cant cover and neither can Rodgers in the slot. They got abused.

2013, same as 2012 but Aso is not playing as well against the run or pass as Culliver did last season (minus playoffs)

To make the defense better, the 9ers should move Rodgers out of guarding the slot receivers. Move him back outside and put Aso on the bench. Cox is more suited to defend these players.

Also one other thing was the 9ers starting position on defense was much better in 2011. In 2012 a lot of FGs were missed giving offenses better field position. Also the ST coverage units were much better in 2011. Recently the team has let go many ST stars and tried to find cheap replacements and it has hurt a lot.

Fundamentals also have gone down hill. How many missed tackles have we seen from the first 3 weeks. That and dumb as fuck penalties have kept the defense out there when the other team should be punting. 3rd down for the 9ers used to be solid. Now I expect a missed tackle or a personal foul for some shit that was totally unnecessary. Like a face mask on a QB who was falling down to sack himself or shoving an offensive lineman after the play was over and it was 4th and long.

Finally, running the ball has not been as successful so the time of possession is not what it was. The defense tires out and that leads to stupid fucking mistakes and frustration.

That was my opinion anyway on why the defense has not been as good as it was.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:think:.......so r we fucked if the 49ers lose tomorrow?

No. We said at the start of the season if the 49ers can come out of these first 5 games at 2 and 3 they will be fine. The schedule gets really easy after that.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea where to put this without a game thread but injuries worry me the most right now.

@AdamSchefter: 49ers calling TE Vernon Davis a true game-time decision. Wants to play vs. brother but it will not be easy.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The problem with the defense the end of last season and this season is turnovers. The first year with Harbaugh the 9ers had a ton of INTs and fumble recoveries.

2011 +28 turnovers
2012 + 9 turnovers
This year so far -2.

Turnover differential is not the same as takeaways. We're minus 2 this year because we've turned the ball over 5 times. Not because we aren't getting takeaways.

2011 Goldson and Rodgers each had 6 ints and brown 4, 23 total
2012 Goldson 3 Brown 2 Rodgers 1, 14 total
2013 Reid 2, Everyone else 0, 2 total

2011 Fumbles total 19 4 by Willis, J Smith and Harlason each had 3
2012 Fumbles total 15 3 by Aldon, Brooks, Willis, and Goldson 2
2011 Fumbles total 2 Bowman and muffed punt recovered.
Comparing the 2011 and 2012 FINAL numbers to 2013 through two weeks, when we've played 2 very good teams that don't turn the ball over often, feels dishonest.

So, in 2011 QBs were getting picked off and were scared to throw the ball so they ran. 9ers knew they were going to run so they played the run more and got stops causing 3rd and longs and then INTs. The defense was new and other teams did not know the weaknesses.

In 2012 QBs were not getting picked off and the 9ers reacted by playing more nickle defense trying to stop the passing game instead of base making it easier to run with no NT. The 9ers also played much better teams that could pass and the NFL rules changed making it easier to throw the ball. Rodgers played against slot receivers instead of wide outs and got torched a lot by quicker guys. Teams figured out that Whitner cant cover and neither can Rodgers in the slot. They got abused.

2013, same as 2012 but Aso is not playing as well against the run or pass as Culliver did last season (minus playoffs)

To make the defense better, the 9ers should move Rodgers out of guarding the slot receivers. Move him back outside and put Aso on the bench. Cox is more suited to defend these players.

Also one other thing was the 9ers starting position on defense was much better in 2011. In 2012 a lot of FGs were missed giving offenses better field position. Also the ST coverage units were much better in 2011. Recently the team has let go many ST stars and tried to find cheap replacements and it has hurt a lot.

Fundamentals also have gone down hill. How many missed tackles have we seen from the first 3 weeks. That and dumb as fuck penalties have kept the defense out there when the other team should be punting. 3rd down for the 9ers used to be solid. Now I expect a missed tackle or a personal foul for some shit that was totally unnecessary. Like a face mask on a QB who was falling down to sack himself or shoving an offensive lineman after the play was over and it was 4th and long.

Finally, running the ball has not been as successful so the time of possession is not what it was. The defense tires out and that leads to stupid fucking mistakes and frustration.

That was my opinion anyway on why the defense has not been as good as it was.

I see what you're getting at, but it feels misleading.

Last year Marshawn Lynch lost 2 fumbles. The Hawks as a team lost 3. Russell Wilson as a rookie threw 10 interceptions. The Seahawks turned the ball over a total of 13 times last year. Wilson has a year of experience under his belt. I don't expect them to suddennly turn the ball 2 or 3 times per game.

Aaron Rodgers threw 8 interceptions last year. The Packers as a team lost 2 fumbles (and only fumbled 4 times. Even if GB lost every fumble they would have averaged 0.75 turnovers per game.

It's way too early, and too small of a sample size, to start looking at takeaways as a cause for concern. Particularly based on the teams we have played.

Just like I don't expect us to finish the season with 40 turnovers on offense, despite what our current pace suggests.