• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OU loses another 5 star RB

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#6 on the depth chart will do that to you I guess.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#6 on the depth chart will do that to you I guess.

Perhaps. I think a bigger issue is how a walkon is the starter over several high ranked recruits. That's not going to sit well with most of them.

I remember all the smack talk by OU fans when you signed him.....he was a top 20 national recruit that Texas didn't even offer because he couldnt make grades. All we heard was how he was going to be the man after Murray......so I found this to be pretty significant of a bust for you guys.

Anyway, you may have another defection or two coming.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps. I think a bigger issue is how a walkon is the starter over several high ranked recruits. That's not going to sit well with most of them.

I remember all the smack talk by OU fans when you signed him.....he was a top 20 national recruit that Texas didn't even offer because he couldnt make grades. All we heard was how he was going to be the man after Murray......so I found this to be pretty significant of a bust for you guys.

Yep, no arguement here. A walk on earning the starting position is not going to make those who where highly recruited feel good. We were excited when OU signed him, who wouldn't be for signing a 5 star back. But, Calhoun never really got a chance, he seemed to be consistantly being injured. I wish him well though.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, no arguement here. A walk on earning the starting position is not going to make those who where highly recruited feel good. We were excited when OU signed him, who wouldn't be for signing a 5 star back. But, Calhoun never really got a chance, he seemed to be consistantly being injured. I wish him well though.

I thought Finch was going to be the MAN for you guys this year. Seeing that kid play is the only guy that really scares me. He's a playmaker, and a guy that can beat you for huge gains. Kinda surprised he's down the depth chart. What the hell happened in spring practice with your RBs????

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Finch was going to be the MAN for you guys this year. Seeing that kid play is the only guy that really scares me. He's a playmaker, and a guy that can beat you for huge gains. Kinda surprised he's down the depth chart. What the hell happened in spring practice with your RBs????

I really have no idea. I felt the same way about Finch. I think he only weighs around 160 lbs so realistically Stoops knows he can only take so many hits. He is quick and hard to catch, especially if he gets a small opening, but yeah he isn't really an everydown back. I really don't know about Clay he had some playing time last year.

But Waley(the walk on) tore it up last year against OU's D during spring practice and again this year. He holds on to the ball, pass blocks well against the starters, is disciplined in regards to plays, so Stoops gave him a chance.

BTW....you need to tell Mack Brown that he is crazy for taking out Gilbert, Gilbert just needs more time.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really have no idea. I felt the same way about Finch. I think he only weighs around 160 lbs so realistically Stoops knows he can only take so many hits. He is quick and hard to catch, especially if he gets a small opening, but yeah he isn't really an everydown back. I really don't know about Clay he had some playing time last year.

But Waley(the walk on) tore it up last year against OU's D during spring practice and again this year. He holds on to the ball, pass blocks well against the starters, is disciplined in regards to plays, so Stoops gave him a chance.

BTW....you need to tell Mack Brown that he is crazy for taking out Gilbert, Gilbert just needs more time.

Gilbert is done my friend......sorry, he's not going to play for the RRSO, much to your dismay, I'm sure, LOL

Gilbert has 3 major flaws.....he can't read a defense, he stares down receivers, and he holds onto the ball too long.

He's also not good at anticipating routes and throwing to a spot. He makes the wrong read on nearly every play. I wish Mack would stop babying Ash and just start the freshman, but it looks like the younger McCoy will get his shot. Problem with him is he has a weak arm and very bad mechanics......and everytime he throws the ball I cringe like I"m watching Tony Romo

LSUfanFloridaAlumni

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not to defend Chokelohoma but is more then likely because the guy isn't living up to his stars.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma...where the 5-stars come to transfer.

lol

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jealous?

Not the first RB to xfer under stoops and won't be the last.

Tashard Choice comes to mind as the last high profile back that xfered from OU because someone better was ahead of him.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you saying that they should start a high ranked recruit over a walk-on so that they don't hurt somebody's feelings? If the walk on goes out and proves himself then he should start and if the 5 star diva wants to play then he needs to get off his ass and work for it just like the walk on.

Nothing is given, everything must be earned. With your kinda thinking a team would never win a NCG.... Oh yeah that's right, I forgot.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying that they should start a high ranked recruit over a walk-on so that they don't hurt somebody's feelings? If the walk on goes out and proves himself then he should start and if the 5 star diva wants to play then he needs to get off his ass and work for it just like the walk on.

Nothing is given, everything must be earned. With your kinda thinking a team would never win a NCG.... Oh yeah that's right, I forgot.

Where did I say they should start another kid over him? With your kind of thinking, and all the assumptions you make, it's a wonder you've gotten this far in life.

I'm making the point that they have recruited a lot of highly ranked RBs, and none of them are good enough to beat out a walkon. If you don't see the problem there, I don't know what to tell you.

And yes, doing this is going to by default hurt some feelings. I think it's more a concern that the kids they recruited couldn't cut it and they had to take a walkon in that role.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was Quentin Griffin? A 2 star? He scored 6 touchdowns in 1 game vs. texas. You just never know....

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did I say they should start another kid over him? With your kind of thinking, and all the assumptions you make, it's a wonder you've gotten this far in life.
If it is an assumption it is assumed from your words. The words
I think a bigger issue is how a walkon is the starter over several high ranked recruits. That's not going to sit well with most of them.
Do you see how those two sentences are in one paragraph? Well in the English language that means I can assume these two sentences are expressing one idea. The idea would have to be that high ranked recruits will be upset by walk-ons starting before them and this would be an issue.

Now I will resist the urge to comment on how your assumptions on "my kind of thinking" makes you look. I believe your words themselves are exemplary

I'm making the point that they have recruited a lot of highly ranked RBs, and none of them are good enough to beat out a walkon. If you don't see the problem there, I don't know what to tell you.
Well if that was your point why didn't you say that? It seems the way the first paragraph was formed in your original post makes it self-evident you don't know what to tell me.

And yes, doing this is going to by default hurt some feelings. I think it's more a concern that the kids they recruited couldn't cut it and they had to take a walkon in that role.
Had to take a walk on? My understanding is this "walk on" is very good. MY opinion of walk ons is substantially different then yours evidently. My opinion is that a walk on came to your school because they want to play for your school even if that costs. My opinion is a walk on will be more likely to work harder, play harder and play as a team more than a 5 star recruit who has been ooh-ed and ahh-ed at all his life. This is a general rule only of course but Nebraska built their program on walk-ons. The offensive lines of the 70's and 90's were walk-ons. I don't see the concern.

Sorry to have cut apart your post.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was Quentin Griffin? A 2 star? He scored 6 touchdowns in 1 game vs. texas. You just never know....

True enough.....but you'd never in a million years start him over Adrian Peterson.

Some kids outperform their stars, some kids underperform. If I had to guess, I'd say its more likely the lower ranked kids perform at or below their ranking than the top ranked kids. The higher ranked kids, even if they play at level, are going to be better.

I'm STILL surprised Finch isn't the starter. But the coaches do know what they're doing.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's Finch as much as what Whaley is doing. Plus Roy was in the doghouse for the first game.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's Finch as much as what Whaley is doing. Plus Roy was in the doghouse for the first game.

Don't know enough about Whaley to form an opinion on him. Guess I'll see him play this weekend against FSU.

All I know is that when I've seen Finch play, he's made plays. As a Texas fan, that kid scares me more than ANY player on the OU roster.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Us OU fans don't know a whole about Whaley ourselves. All we know is he had a damn good game last week and that Stoops tells us he shredded the 1st team defense this Summer.

As the opposistion I would be concerned about Finch for sure, but worry more about Bryoles and Stills.