• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: World Cup

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I find embarrassing is that China is at 94. With the talent pool they can pull from, you would think they could easily be a solid team.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I find embarrassing is that China is at 94. With the talent pool they can pull from, you would think they could easily be a solid team.

The problem there is that instead of starting to play soccer when they're 3 or 4 like kids in other countries (or hockey for the Canucks), they start working in the iPhone factory at that age.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

its tough when the dual citizenship kids are choosing other nations to represent because of career aspirations ... Winnipeger and Caps residency kid Marco Bustos invited to Chilean youth team the latest kid ... i understand it and accept that though ... but not when they lie about intentions though (*cough* Ass-smear Begovic *cough*)

theres a chance this kid will play for Canada instead of St Lucia ... would be a real kick in the junk if he chooses St Lucia over Canada lol

Teenage Calgary soccer star strikes deal with elite German team | Metro

The Caribbean-born Elva is the son of a former national striker, and the relative of a national defender. However, he didn’t play organized soccer until suiting up in Calgary at 11 years old.

Martin Rennie @Renniecoaching · Jul 16 Watch out for this kid Ca****ia. Just signed for Stuttgart of the Bundesliga! One of the best young players I have seen in North America.

Last edited by a moderator:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good lord ... his name is a banned word :L

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philipp Lahm has retired from international competition...

Way to go out on top, Philipp. Congrats on a fine career.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its tough when the dual citizenship kids are choosing other nations to represent because of career aspirations ... Winnipeger and Caps residency kid Marco Bustos invited to Chilean youth team the latest kid ... i understand it and accept that though ... but not when they lie about intentions though (*cough* Ass-smear Begovic *cough*)

theres a chance this kid will play for Canada instead of St Lucia ... would be a real kick in the junk if he chooses St Lucia over Canada lol

Teenage Calgary soccer star strikes deal with elite German team | Metro

The Caribbean-born Elva is the son of a former national striker, and the relative of a national defender. However, he didn’t play organized soccer until suiting up in Calgary at 11 years old.

Martin Rennie @Renniecoaching · Jul 16 Watch out for this kid Ca****ia. Just signed for Stuttgart of the Bundesliga! One of the best young players I have seen in North America.

And his backup nation is St. Lucia! He's almost guaranteed to play for us!

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philipp Lahm has retired from international competition...

Way to go out on top, Philipp. Congrats on a fine career.

Guess he's earned it. Figured he would've gone after the Euro title, though. That is one big ass hole to fill at RB.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it most certainly is. That German machine continues to pump out some quality players though.

True, although the two areas they have seemed to lack is striker and full backs (remember in game 1 where Germany started 4 CB's at the back vs. my hapless Pork Chops?). Tony Jantschke will get a chance, and Low obviously showed that he liked Mustafi during the tournament before he shredded his thigh muscle (although I wasn't particularly impressed). Either way, nobody compares to the composure and precision Lahm had in breaking out from the back.

Biggest winner: Bayern, who now has their leader unencumbered by int'l play. They're going to regret selling Kroos to Madrid, though. Big time.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved shots of him standing next to the rest of the German D with the size difference.

Those are great, aren't they? Usually he's standing right beside keeper Manuel Neuer and it looks like Neuer brought his younger brother onto the pitch (lol)

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figuratively speaking of course.

I loved shots of him standing next to the rest of the German D with the size difference.

and he gets in there with some huge clattering tackles ... diff positions but because of the size and tenacity he always reminded me alot of Fabio Cannavaro

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are great, aren't they? Usually he's standing right beside keeper Manuel Neuer and it looks like Neuer brought his younger brother onto the pitch (lol)

They're all good, because I think Howedes is the shortest of the regulars at 6'2". Mertesacker I think is the biggest at 6'6".

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and he gets in there with some huge clattering tackles ... diff positions but because of the size and tenacity he always reminded me alot of Fabio Cannavaro

I've always thought of Lahm as more the slow and steady type than Cannavaro who played the position almost like a sweeper. I mostly remember Cannavaro from the 2006 WC. If it weren't for the fact that the Golden Ball gets voted on before the final game, he would have won it in a landslide. His performance in the final game of that tournament was amazing to watch.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we want to make this the new soccer thread (possible name change?) or are we still going to utilize the Premiership Forum?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for some odd reason, the play that most sticks in my head for Lahm is from Euro 2008 when he gets absolutely smoked by a Turkish player at the touch line and making a pass for the equalizer late in the semi-final game.

I know he scored the go-ahead just a couple minutes later to put Germany through, but it's still the one he gave up that sticks in my mind.