• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: was christianity the invention of a Troll?

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
images

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Religion has been responsible for some of the bloodiest wars, the most violent attacks, some of the most hateful speech this planet has ever seen, yet if you sit down and read the Bible or the Koran, or any other religious teachings they are mostly positive messages of peace and love.
Exodus 35:2. :D

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you read both the Bible and the Koran? Just curious. I've read neither.

My dad was a pastor, so I've read the Bible back and forth. I've read parts of the Koran, my dad has read and studied the Koran quite a bit, so most of my information of it is offhand knowledge passed down from him.

I'm kind of an agnostic myself, maybe borderline atheist, but I grew up with Christianity and know there's more to it than hating fags, forcing your beliefs on others, and acting like the government is Satan when it tries to keep God out of public schools and the courtroom.

I also know the more judgmental, radical side of Christianity, because... well, you know where I live!

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dad was a pastor, so I've read the Bible back and forth. I've read parts of the Koran, my dad has read and studied the Koran quite a bit, so most of my information of it is offhand knowledge passed down from him.

I'm kind of an agnostic myself, maybe borderline atheist, but I grew up with Christianity and know there's more to it than hating fags, forcing your beliefs on others, and acting like the government is Satan when it tries to keep God out of public schools and the courtroom.

I also know the more judgmental, radical side of Christianity, because... well, you know where I live!

I'll bring the baseball bats. :eyebrows:

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see what the big problem is. If I want to watch football and drink beer and some dick is out mowing his lawn, why shouldn't I be able to lop off his head with a chainsaw?
Maybe he's just trying to stone his other neighbor by using the lawn mower in the rock garden.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see what the big problem is. If I want to watch football and drink beer and some dick is out mowing his lawn, why shouldn't I be able to lop off his head with a chainsaw?

Well, that sounds like a hobby to me, which technically isn't work, so you should still be in good standing with the big guy.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Psst. Jesus was born in 6 B.C. and started his ministry around 24 A.D., so...

:rolleyes: :nerd:
Yeah, I don't think he was trolling until about the age of six, so, it all works out.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Maritimer of 75% Irish decent so of course I was raised in a Christian family, Catholic to be exact. My grandparents on both sides were very religious and my parents were sort of but not quite as much. So I guess on paper that makes me Catholic but I'm probably more agnostic/indifferent than anything.

My favourite aspect of Catholicism is confirmation. I'll summarize a conversation I had with my parents when I was about 14.

Parents : You have to start going to Sunday School this year in preparation for your conformation.i

Me: What's confirmation?

Parents: Well you were just a baby when you were baptised so you didn't really have a choice if you wanted to be baptised or not, so now that you are a young adult you will confirm that you wanted to be baptised.

Me: Oh

Parents: Yup!

Me: Do I have to?

Parents: Yes! Your older sisters had to and so do you.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This past Sunday's homily really irked me. I find that happening more and more often, actually. I used to find church comforting and encouraging, but it's been depressing me since I moved out to Tucson. I think a lot of that is the priest, honestly, but still, that's not what church is supposed to be.

Anyway, this past Sunday's homily was basically saying that it doesn't matter how you treat people, or what you do, just what you believe.

I call shenanigans.

The largest benefit of faith is how it guides your actions. It's supposed to lead you to love people. It's good for three things: explaining what hasn't been explained through science in simple terms, comforting us in the belief that we're more than inconsequential sentience, and guiding us to treat each other with love and respect. Take any one of those away, and faith become empty, meaningless, and useless.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Maritimer of 75% Irish decent so of course I was raised in a Christian family, Catholic to be exact. My grandparents on both sides were very religious and my parents were sort of but not quite as much. So I guess on paper that makes me Catholic but I'm probably more agnostic/indifferent than anything.

My favourite aspect of Catholicism is confirmation. I'll summarize a conversation I had with my parents when I was about 14.

Parents : You have to start going to Sunday School this year in preparation for your conformation.i

Me: What's confirmation?

Parents: Well you were just a baby when you were baptised so you didn't really have a choice if you wanted to be baptised or not, so now that you are a young adult you will confirm that you wanted to be baptised.

Me: Oh

Parents: Yup!

Me: Do I have to?

Parents: Yes! Your older sisters had to and so do you.

I have to rep this post because it's almost verbatim the same conversation I had with my folks (including the older sisters content).

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember having to do a X-mas play or something like that in 9th grade as part of confirmation. It was great, as behind the altar, there were steps leading to the basement and a passage leading to the back of the church where the kitchen was. In said kitchen was a fridge that held the communion wine. I recall it being yummy. If they stored cartons of Marbs in the pantry, I may be a pastor today. True story.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to rep this post because it's almost verbatim the same conversation I had with my folks (including the older sisters content).

Hahahahaha! Well they soon won me over when they told me there'd be an after party with whatever I wanted to eat and all my cousins would be there. Then it got even better when my sisters told me that our grandparents and a few aunts and uncles all had money as gifts. Fortunately I didn't value sleeping in on Sundays then as much as I do now. :D

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This past Sunday's homily really irked me. I find that happening more and more often, actually. I used to find church comforting and encouraging, but it's been depressing me since I moved out to Tucson. I think a lot of that is the priest, honestly, but still, that's not what church is supposed to be.

Anyway, this past Sunday's homily was basically saying that it doesn't matter how you treat people, or what you do, just what you believe.

I call shenanigans.

The largest benefit of faith is how it guides your actions. It's supposed to lead you to love people. It's good for three things: explaining what hasn't been explained through science in simple terms, comforting us in the belief that we're more than inconsequential sentience, and guiding us to treat each other with love and respect. Take any one of those away, and faith become empty, meaningless, and useless.

So, has your pastor read the book of James (personal favorite)? "Faith without action is dead." What's faith if you don't use it to move a mountain? I wish more Christians read James. Underutilized book. I wish many would bookmark the chapter on taming the tongue.