• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: was christianity the invention of a Troll?

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're getting to a point where our intellectual advances have developed technology advanced enough that we tend to depend too much on that technology to the point that mental growth is being stunted. I don't see the human mind as advancing unless there is a culture for doing so. That culture is disappearing IMO.

Yeah, that was kinda circular and incoherent, but there's a point in there somewhere.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're getting to a point where our intellectual advances have developed technology advanced enough that we tend to depend too much on that technology to the point that mental growth is being stunted. I don't see the human mind as advancing unless there is a culture for doing so. That culture is disappearing IMO.

Yeah, that was kinda circular and incoherent, but there's a point in there somewhere.

Makes perfect sense to me. No doubt technology will advance and we will develop all sorts of knowledge we don't currently have. But I don't see the human brain evolving to that extent in just 5000 years. Has is really evolved all that much in the last 5000?

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They've done studies and found that if people learn a fact online, or are taught information that they know is readily available online with a quick Google search, the brain is less apt to remember the information.

I don't know where I heard that from, but I'm sure I can Google it and find out.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want it to be known that I love this thread.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read only the first page, but damn. Was a solid 40 (Yes, I changed my post per page view) posts. Will get around to reading it all.

Continue the Jesus talk, people.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure Jesus still can't hit a curveball.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the point was something about ice cream?

I dunno, I asked Google to translate the statement for me, but it came up blank.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread has cooled off too much.

Lets focus on the mind-body relationship and the concept of the human (or inhuman) soul.

Do the mind and human body coexist, or does one give way to the other? How does the mind completely shut off conscious thought in deep sleep, but fully restore operation upon waking up?

Does the soul exist? If so, where did it come from? Where does it go when we die? Why does our body lose 21 grams when we die?

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does the soul exist? If so, where did it come from? Where does it go when we die? Why does our body lose 21 grams when we die?
From Snopes:

1. "uddenly coincident with death . . . the loss was ascertained to be three-fourths of an ounce."

2. "The weight lost was found to be half an ounce. Then my colleague auscultated the heart and found it stopped. I tried again and the loss was one ounce and a half and fifty grains."

3. "My third case showed a weight of half an ounce lost, coincident with death, and an additional loss of one ounce a few minutes later."

4. "In the fourth case unfortunately our scales were not finely adjusted and there was a good deal of interference by people opposed to our work . . . I regard this test as of no value."

5. "My fifth case showed a distinct drop in the beam requiring about three-eighths of an ounce which could not be accounted for. This occurred exactly simultaneously with death but peculiarly on bringing the beam up again with weights and later removing them, the beam did not sink back to stay for fully fifteen minutes."

6. "My sixth and last case was not a fair test. The patient died almost within five minutes after being placed upon the bed and died while I was adjusting the beam."

What to make of all this? MacDougall's results were flawed because the methodology used to harvest them was suspect, the sample size far too small, and the ability to measure changes in weight imprecise. For this reason, credence should not be given to the idea his experiments proved something. His postulations on this topic are a curiosity, but nothing more.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Jeff have you ever given any thought to trying one of these?

Isolation tank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Never tried it, but I've heard nothing but good things. Pitch black, sound proof tank, filled with salt water so you float, that is heated to body temperature. Apparently your mind is not used to sensory deprivation and you wind up experiencing a completely natural high as a result.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Never tried it, but I've heard nothing but good things. Pitch black, sound proof tank, filled with salt water so you float, that is heated to body temperature. Apparently your mind is not used to sensory deprivation and you wind up experiencing a completely natural high as a result.

Luke Skywalker.. the original hipster. he was in an isolation tank before it was popular

1zzoy69.png

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds right up my alley, I'll have to look into this.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke Skywalker.. the original hipster. he was in an isolation tank before it was popular

1zzoy69.png

They shold probably fix that Wikipedia article then. Some guy is claiming he created it in 1954 and as we know, Luke Skywalker was in that isolation tank "along time ago", so it's safe to assume earlier than 1954.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread has cooled off too much.

Lets focus on the mind-body relationship and the concept of the human (or inhuman) soul.

Do the mind and human body coexist, or does one give way to the other? How does the mind completely shut off conscious thought in deep sleep, but fully restore operation upon waking up?

The accuracy of that 21 grams test is under dispute since it's the only test that ever showed the loss of weight at death. It's also 100 years old.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and if anyone things near death experience are limited to near death experiences, try doing Ketamine. Apparently, it produces the same results.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and if anyone things near death experience are limited to near death experiences, try doing Ketamine. Apparently, it produces the same results.

they should sell that at the ACC

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Ketamine for the near death experience; the product on the ice for producing the actual thing.

lots of overdoses thanks to each ... thins out the season ticket waitlist :noidea:

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've done studies and found that if people learn a fact online, or are taught information that they know is readily available online with a quick Google search, the brain is less apt to remember the information.

I don't know where I heard that from, but I'm sure I can Google it and find out.