• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Video Game Geek Out

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BF3 (playing beta right now)
Elder Scrolls
Guild Wars 2
Diablo 3

AHH YEAAA

er excuse me... Diablo 3??????? where in teh holy hell did I miss that?

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

:D

beta is currently out there but I believe it's closed. Was just delayed until 2012 but soon!

i better file the divorce papers soon. get it over with :(

quoipourquoi

Did Not Fuck Leesha/Sarah
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what I popped in the PlayStation the other day? ESPN NHL 2K5. The one with Martin St. Louis on the cover.

The features on the game are still amazing (trivia, shuffleboard, air hockey, trophy room, battle mode, fantasy teams from players and analysts, first goal wins games, easy to understand salary cap settings, etc.). But unfortunately, unlike NHL 94 and 2002, the gameplay hasn't aged well at all because it was a simulation style game. Everything about the actual hockey is done better from EA NHL 08 on, so it hurts to play it.

Those old arcade hockey games, man, I can pick those up without missing a beat.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BF3 (playing beta right now)
Elder Scrolls
Guild Wars 2
Diablo 3

AHH YEAAA

Wish my laptop would support Guild Wars 2 when it comes out... But I am not going to buy a new computer.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have it but havent played it. Only reason I got it on release was all the extras for pre-ordering it. I liked the old ones, hopefully I will like this too. I am hearing iffy things about it.

It's a decent game, though I'm doing my best min/max on it without a walkthrough, which requires a lot of backtracking and consequently is somewhat boring.

Some tips for when you play, if you want them:

Buy every praxis kit you can, especially early.

If you want to get the most xp, you have to play a hacker/exploration character. You get xp for hacking things, and they contain data nodes you can download for stuff and more xp. And there is a LOT of stuff to hack. You get really large bonuses for navigating sections unseen, and the most xp you get per enemy is with a nonlethal melee takedown, but you don't usually need the cloaking or vision cone upgrades to get those, so save your points.

If you want to get all you can story-wise, you have to hack. A lot of computers in the game have personal emails you can read to get background info. You can find passwords for many, but not all.

If you like to run and gun, you need to have really good aim. Ammo is relatively scarce, and enemies don't drop a ton for some reason. Buy it whenever you can, and get headshots.

RangersReds03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gears of War 3
Dead Island
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Batman Arkham City

all released within the same time frame.

then there is Modern Warfare 3, The Ghost Recon game, Battlefield 3 coming.... ARGHHHHHHH

Ill barely scratch Island before the others arrive to my house man Im a geek

I don't know much about the game but it has one of the best and most saddest game trailers I've ever seen.

[YOUTUBE]lZqrG1bdGtg&ob=av3e[/YOUTUBE]

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know much about the game but it has one of the best and most saddest game trailers I've ever seen.

[YOUTUBE]lZqrG1bdGtg&ob=av3e[/YOUTUBE]

this game came with alot of hype because of hte trailer and some of the warnings that came with the reviews. Im a huge huge huge zombie fan and loved left 4 dead for its simplistic a to b mentality and kill everything in your fucking path to get there.

this is a combination of left for dead (without computer controlled players - you can multi player with others or go single) and Dead Rising (you can customize your weapons) add in it constant quests to raise your character and you got a decent game. where it falls very short is it all looks the same. everywhere you go its just the same. the computer controlled people are pretty boring and bland and dont really do much but give you quests. you literally could leave a door open to a group of survivors in front of a horde of zombies and they wont do jack shit (zombie or survivor they just stand there). the AI in this game is so basic.

Im assuming this game is more for multi player than single play as I find myself getting pretty bored pretty quick.

this being said Im only 12% into the game and have put in a few hours so its a big big game and I have not even gotten to any upgraded zombies (chargers, spitters etc) so Im expecting alot more out of this game.

so far I would rate it 2.5 out of 5 but as a zombie fan Ill give it 3 out of 5 just for zombie smashing goodness and the fact you can curb stomp dem fuckers.

if you can demo before buying I would recommend that unless you just like a long continous zombie game with very little originally and just want to stomp the stenches.

TrinDaddy

Trinconceivable!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm jacked for Skyrim, Halo CE: Anniversary, COD: MW3, and Zelda: Skyward Sword (prequel to Orarina of Time).

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final Fantasy XIII Versus is on my list as well

No thank you! At least not if it's anything like FFXIII was. Beautiful graphics, but the battle system managed to be too frantic and too passive at the same time, the story and characters are meh, the game forces you to read the in-game encyclopedia to gain info on the backstory, said encyclopedia also happens to have spoilers for the main plot, and, oh yes, the game is MORE LINEAR THAN GEARS OF WAR.

FFIX was the last decent Final Fantasy. X was okay but the voice acting and Yuna killed the game. XI was an MMO, XII was an MMO in disguise, and as for X-2?

Yeah....

Last edited by a moderator:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this game came with alot of hype because of hte trailer and some of the warnings that came with the reviews. Im a huge huge huge zombie fan and loved left 4 dead for its simplistic a to b mentality and kill everything in your fucking path to get there.

this is a combination of left for dead (without computer controlled players - you can multi player with others or go single) and Dead Rising (you can customize your weapons) add in it constant quests to raise your character and you got a decent game. where it falls very short is it all looks the same. everywhere you go its just the same. the computer controlled people are pretty boring and bland and dont really do much but give you quests. you literally could leave a door open to a group of survivors in front of a horde of zombies and they wont do jack shit (zombie or survivor they just stand there). the AI in this game is so basic.

Im assuming this game is more for multi player than single play as I find myself getting pretty bored pretty quick.

this being said Im only 12% into the game and have put in a few hours so its a big big game and I have not even gotten to any upgraded zombies (chargers, spitters etc) so Im expecting alot more out of this game.

so far I would rate it 2.5 out of 5 but as a zombie fan Ill give it 3 out of 5 just for zombie smashing goodness and the fact you can curb stomp dem fuckers.

if you can demo before buying I would recommend that unless you just like a long continous zombie game with very little originally and just want to stomp the stenches.

ok ignore my original rating. I am now in Act 2. and weapons are way better now Im fighting people and zombies... this game is getting really great really fast..... 4 out of 5 now :)

TrinDaddy

Trinconceivable!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Final Fantasy XIII Versus is on my list as well

Versus won't be out for quite some time, but 13-2 will be out soon. I'm going to play it in hopes that it's better than 13, but I don't think 13 was as bad as most thought. A disappointment for any long time franchise player for sure, but it still was better than most other RPG's on the 360 to come out. The overly easy battle system and serious lack of free roaming cities/world map that involved more rewarding, varying side quests was my biggest beef with the game.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok ignore my original rating. I am now in Act 2. and weapons are way better now Im fighting people and zombies... this game is getting really great really fast..... 4 out of 5 now :)

ok Dead Island is now on my done list.

4.8 out of 5. This game was a blast. I had 24 hours of gameplay to finish it. not bad for $50 bucks.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
24 hours is a good length for a game. I have been spending a good amount of time on Madden and NHL12 lately so I still have Deus Ex and Resistance 3 to play. Trying to save money but reading the reviews of the new Batman game may have be getting that Tuesday.

li0lsh

Hoopla Cash
$ 737.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Dead Island.

Only 30% done with main story line. It's meh but I'm not a big fan of zombie shooters.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
24 hours is a good length for a game. I have been spending a good amount of time on Madden and NHL12 lately so I still have Deus Ex and Resistance 3 to play. Trying to save money but reading the reviews of the new Batman game may have be getting that Tuesday.

i picked up nhl 12. havent cracked it open yet due to dead island and gears 3. that is next.

batman is going to be a big one as well.

Rossinole

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only ones I'm looking forward to are UC3 and R&C: A4O.

Btw I heard NHL '12 has egregious freezing problems. Have they patched that up yet?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting close to the end of Gears 3. Not really all that different than Gears 2, but a bit better of a story, IMO, and the game still looks great. Maybe a bit on the short side though.

Hoping to finish before Arkham City begins to consume every waking moment of my non-work time. Been reading the early reviews of that one. Can't wait!

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only ones I'm looking forward to are UC3 and R&C: A4O.

Btw I heard NHL '12 has egregious freezing problems. Have they patched that up yet?

I have UC3 on pre-order. The second might have been the best game I ever played. I like Ratchet games a lot but worry about this one being too much coop and not enough campaign. I'll wait for reviews on that one.

I only played 7 games of NHL12 but so far no crashes or freezes.