• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Video Game Geek Out

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a quick question, does anyone with a somewhat recent LCD or LED TV use "game mode"? My old TV was a CRT so I never needed one, messing with it a bit so far and I am not seeing any difference - though I haven't really noticed any lag.

Out of curiosity, what is "game mode?"

I'm also a recent convert to the world of 1080p gaming. It's pretty damn cool. But I went plasma before it's gone. I felt like the dude buying the record player while everyone is scooping up boom boxes. But I do like the picture.

And it's true what they say about plasma having "true black." You should see how expressive the "mother fuckers" are when I'm watching a movie with Samuel L. Jackson. He just isn't as intense on a LED screen.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm also a recent convert to the world of 1080p gaming. It's pretty damn cool. But I went plasma before it's gone. I felt like the dude buying the record player while everyone is scooping up boom boxes. But I do like the picture.

And it's true what they say about plasma having "true black." You should see how expressive the "mother fuckers" are when I'm watching a movie with Samuel L. Jackson. He just isn't as intense on a LED screen.

If you have a plasma you wont need a game mode. Some LCD tvs are supposed to have a bit of a lag. You wont notice when watching Tv because its consistent but in a game when you move the controller or hit a button it can be noticeable. At least that's how I understand it. Game mode is supposed to cut out the lag.
LEDs don't have 'true black' but they did advertise 'true white'. Remember the ads with Mike White up close and personal in glorious HD?
84321487.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Game mode reduces the image processing the TV does on all images it displays. This makes the picture very slightly worse, but it appears faster than it would if you weren't using it. So it looks a little worse, but you have better response time for your game, which can be important if you are a hardcore gamer in certain genres - fps comes to mind.

It's actually a better thing to turn on in older HDTVs, when all the processing could slow down display by a noticeable amount. Newer TVs have processors that are fast enough that you probably don't need it on.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One week till Counter Strike: Global Offensive. Oh yes.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wanted to let everyone know Darksiders 2 is fucking amazing. If you haven't played the original Darksiders it's kinda like Zelda meets god of war where incidentally you play as War one of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse. I'm not throwing out any spoilers, but in the second game you play as Death and it's incredible how different and yet similar the games are. I've played 6 hours since I got home from work and just realized I haven't eaten or showered, that's how immersed I got in the story. I highly suggest playing both games.

Oh and I'm not even through the first act(I believe there are 4 enivroments) yet there is so much to see and do.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That game looked interesting. Think I will give it a shot.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One week till Counter Strike: Global Offensive. Oh yes.

I've heard the hitboxes are really weird. Of course, I've heard this from guys who spend WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much time playing Source, so of course they'll be a little biased...

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard the hitboxes are really weird. Of course, I've heard this from guys who spend WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much time playing Source, so of course they'll be a little biased...

I'm gonna grab it for XBox 360. Oughta be interesting. I miss the dust map so much, lol. My laptop won't even play CS SOurce, lol.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wanted to let everyone know Darksiders 2 is fucking amazing. If you haven't played the original Darksiders it's kinda like Zelda meets god of war where incidentally you play as War one of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse. I'm not throwing out any spoilers, but in the second game you play as Death and it's incredible how different and yet similar the games are. I've played 6 hours since I got home from work and just realized I haven't eaten or showered, that's how immersed I got in the story. I highly suggest playing both games.

Oh and I'm not even through the first act(I believe there are 4 enivroments) yet there is so much to see and do.

I never even heard much about the first one. I'll look for it used and give it a shot.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really can't wait for CS: Global Offensive on Tuesday. I hope it's good on a console platform.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally getting back in the Counter Strike groove. Had a round where I went 38-18 yesterday, including a knife kill. I'M BACK BABY! I'M - wait.

Where'd everyone go? What's that? A new CS game comes out today that my computer can barely run? And they changed all the controls and recoil and everything?

images

You said it, random anime girl that came up on google images search for sad face. You said it.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally getting back in the Counter Strike groove. Had a round where I went 38-18 yesterday, including a knife kill. I'M BACK BABY! I'M - wait.

Where'd everyone go? What's that? A new CS game comes out today that my computer can barely run? And they changed all the controls and recoil and everything?

images

You said it, random anime girl that came up on google images search for sad face. You said it.

lmao, are you sure controls are different. Supposedly it is very similar to 1.6, which is great, because Source's physics engine sucked dick. I'm getting it for XBox because my PC sucks balls too. I will be on this all night tonight. :nerd: