• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - Vanek to Isles

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes the Isles a little better right now but long term I don't think this will help them a whole lot - their goaltending is still very shaky and it won't get them to where they want to be

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this was a definite move to improve the team right now and "contend"..... its an aggressive pull via the return to Buffalo....

If Vanek resigns, who knows what happens next?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a weird move..I dont think Moulson is as good as Vanek but he had some great chemistry on that Tavares line.

Isles must think they can resign Vanek?

I could understand this move is Miller was a part of it.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That package is basically just as good as what we gave up for Kovy.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the move is good for the islanders NOW.

i doubt they resign vanek. i remember reading somewhere that he is close friends with pomminville. guess who he plays for? o and pommenville just signed an INSANE contract to stay there? hmmmmmmmmm

this package would've been a lot better for the isles if they could've got miller. i think miller would've resigned with the isles esp to still be a #1 goalie on a team that should make the playoffs. how many starting gigs like that are out there still?

good move by buffalo though they knew they werent keeping vanek. imagine if we dealt neids gomez parise rafalski before losing them for nothing? we seriously would be in a lot better spot right now

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't fully understand the move from the Isles standpoint. Isn't their D and goaltending more of an issue than scoring? Obviously right now the Islanders are better since Vanek > Moulson but this seems like a weird trade.

Do the Sabres move Miller now and go full rebuild mode? They had 2 first round picks last year, 2 coming up and possibly more if they can manage a first for Miller. If they play their cards right they could be loaded in the not too distant future.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabres are in a great position..they got a lot for this trade and will probably also move Moulson at the deadline to a contender. Devils? lol

Then factor in Miller could also command some high picks and it makes them even better in the long run.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the move is good for the islanders NOW.

i doubt they resign vanek. i remember reading somewhere that he is close friends with pomminville. guess who he plays for? o and pommenville just signed an INSANE contract to stay there? hmmmmmmmmm

this package would've been a lot better for the isles if they could've got miller. i think miller would've resigned with the isles esp to still be a #1 goalie on a team that should make the playoffs. how many starting gigs like that are out there still?

good move by buffalo though they knew they werent keeping vanek. imagine if we dealt neids gomez parise rafalski before losing them for nothing? we seriously would be in a lot better spot right now

Without turning this into the 10,597th time we've had this debate, the difference being we were actually contending those years. Buffalo is a shit show so they have nothing to lose by dealing him. Not exactly comparing apples to apples.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
contending? making the playoffs doesn't make you a contender. take a hit for a year swallow your pride and come back stronger.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember though: Sabres might be loaded with picks in the future but Darcy Regier tends to have some crappy drafts and signs players to outrageous contracts - he's kinda like Paul Holmgren in that sense - he can make a good trade but the contracts and the drafts aren't the best

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
contending? making the playoffs doesn't make you a contender. take a hit for a year swallow your pride and come back stronger.

Not trying to start a fight, but just hypothetically let's look at a traded Parise scenario during the cup run year:

- Devils are obviously seriously in the hunt despite have the 6th seed. Would they have been a contender?
- So if we assume no, based on your criteria of course, the Devils trade Parise for a similar return.
- No matter what, they've weakened themselves in the now.
- Let's assume they got an established player not as good as Parise (same as in the Vanek deal) and then got what appears to be a mid 1st round pick.
- Mid first rounders generally don't break into the league immediately. So let's fast forward 2 seasons to this year.
- The Devils never made it to the cup finals, Kovy is gone, Clarkson is gone, Parise is gone. Maybe you have 2 mid first round-late first round picks that are developing, maybe they're in the Bergfors/Tedenby track and the Devils are atrociously bad.
- Now, maybe that's a better position than the team currently is in, maybe getting to game 6 of the SCF was worth it, who knows?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
during the cup finals run if the islanders offered up this trade for parise i would take it in a freaking second!

i will never be convinced that we were the best team in the east that year. NOT EVEN CLOSE!

we had the greatest matchups anyone could ever have hoped for. similar to the cup run in 03. even without parise on this team for the cup run sub in moulson i think we still make the finals. hell we MIGHT even had made it without moulson and just a 1st and 2nd rounder

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We played the best from the eastern conference that year. The devils shut down the high powered flyers(based on goals vs pens) then took out the #1 nyr n a strong n stingy defense with lunq...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention kovy wasn't a huge contributor due to injury.....

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Let's get real. we get the cupcake panthers in round 1. We get the flyers coming off their Stanley cup win against the pens with a goalie who isn't even in the NHL anymore. Then we play our rivals who played 2 very very hard series 1 7 game and 1 8 games.

Yes we benefited from matchups. Not playing Sid or the Bruins was huge! Yes it was a great run but come on be real

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The problem with that Parise logic is that the two full seasons he wasn't here and Kovy was the Devils sucked.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i guess you can say that but with parise here he got us past the first round twice i think.

i would take the trade. moulson is a good player and like someone said they can flip him at the deadline for MORE draft picks

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw, Moulson scored twice last night in first game for Sabres.

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we want to trade for someone as good as Parise, it wouldn't be Moulson. He is good but not what we need. We need someone who can inspire others. IMO Parise and Kovy had this quality.