• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Vancouver People

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah....................................

We just push ours further and further outside of the cities District.

Off topic but does anyone know if there is a place that we can complain to change where we Vote?

Ours is Strawberry Vale Community Centre. Where it's Really fucking hot and stuffy or Really fucking cold and Stuffy. More to the hot side
2489BE61-3EEF-4889-A929-B38058AA817D.jpeg

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wtf is going with kids .. was itmlike.this when I was that age and we just didn't see it because of no social media? Is it affects from covid lockdown??

It's insane

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wtf is going with kids .. was itmlike.this when I was that age and we just didn't see it because of no social media? Is it affects from covid lockdown??

It's insane

I don't think we were actively seeking out to commit violent acts when we were 13 years old. Sure, there were always a few troublemakers, but I think you quickly discovered to steer clear of them. Social media has certainly had a negative impact on people's behaviors, though.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we were actively seeking out to commit violent acts when we were 13 years old. Sure, there were always a few troublemakers, but I think you quickly discovered to steer clear of them. Social media has certainly had a negative impact on people's behaviors, though.

Ive said it before and I will say it again ... not sure if everybody else grew up in a lollipops and gumdrops world or looking at the past with nostalgic rose coloured glasses but violence was much more normalized when I was a kid than it is now.

Every time a violent act committed by teens happens now, we hear about it ... back when I was a kid and something happened ... first of all ... it didnt make the news like it does today (the other side of social media ... today that story is everywhere on multiple media and social media platforms).

back in the day a kid does something and the only thing the other kids know about is that he's gone to juvy :noidea:

1 or 2 violent acts make the news today and its "what the hell is wrong with kids these days" :noidea: Im honestly more worried about social media making the bulk of kids unable to socialize and leaving them with bot like interpersonal skills.

/btw this is a new one Ive heard amongst my kids and ... calling kids who game or spend so much time on social media or in front of their devices that they cant normally socialize with others face to face "bots" lol

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the proliferation of social media certainly highlights violent acts and makes everyone more aware of these acts, but I will also add that everyone's background is different and maybe growing up in a small town I wasn't exposed to some of the violence that growing up in a larger city a young person might experience, but I stand by the assertion that younger people are more angry and violent today than they were when I was in my teenage years.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive said it before and I will say it again ... not sure if everybody else grew up in a lollipops and gumdrops world or looking at the past with nostalgic rose coloured glasses but violence was much more normalized when I was a kid than it is now.

Every time a violent act committed by teens happens now, we hear about it ... back when I was a kid and something happened ... first of all ... it didnt make the news like it does today (the other side of social media ... today that story is everywhere on multiple media and social media platforms).

back in the day a kid does something and the only thing the other kids know about is that he's gone to juvy :noidea:

1 or 2 violent acts make the news today and its "what the hell is wrong with kids these days" :noidea: Im honestly more worried about social media making the bulk of kids unable to socialize and leaving them with bot like interpersonal skills.

/btw this is a new one Ive heard amongst my kids and ... calling kids who game or spend so much time on social media or in front of their devices that they cant normally socialize with others face to face "bots" lol

I grew up in Richmond (Quilchena Elementary, Cambie Junior High and Richmond High and finished Grade 12 at John Oliver) and yes, we had violence around regularly when I was young, but I don't remember it being so blatant. We were never swarmed, no one ever pulled knives on us or anyone we knew, and no one was stabbed randomly. Our encounters were usually one-on-one, and they generally stopped after that. I feel like today’s youth tend to attack on a much larger scale.

I agree with your point about juvy. My brother went to Willingdon (is that still around?), and it actually made him worse. There was also a time when our parents, or at least my dad and some of my friends' dads, didn’t hesitate to smack us around. I’m not saying that was the solution, but I’m glad he did because it taught me never to resort to violence against anyone. I will defend myself and the innocent but if I can avoid it I will.

I was also a massive gamer as a kid from the first CPU to the first consoles but I somehow was able to normally socialize, that being said the games back then did not have the online capability today.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Social media also makes people think that they are bad asses but they have never been punched in their mouth once in their life.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the proliferation of social media certainly highlights violent acts and makes everyone more aware of these acts, but I will also add that everyone's background is different and maybe growing up in a small town I wasn't exposed to some of the violence that growing up in a larger city a young person might experience, but I stand by the assertion that younger people are more angry and violent today than they were when I was in my teenage years.
how are you quantifying that? whats your sample size ? lol

I spend a lot of time with kids (and their parents - no diddy parties here) whether its through hockey or gymnastics or swimming ... and while its easy to say ok you are spending time with those that have passions that fill their lives/are involved in sports and are so called "the good kids", I feel I can get a good gauge of what the bad kids today are all about.

I will ask or hear kids talk about "the bad kids" and there are so few of them and they get dealt with much more swiftly by systems/institutions than they were when I was a kid. You wont get this impression if your sole exposure to teenagers is the one or 2 stories you read in media (or press releases from the Conservative party) today about swarmings or stabbings.

Shit disturbers back in the day just seemed to be allowed to continue being shit disturbers where as now "the adults" step in right away. Not successfully in many instances but there is quicker intervention. Bullying is pretty much non existent in schools these days when compared to my high school years thanks to anti bullying programs. Kids today dont even know what "smoke pits" are. lol

I think kids today have every right to be angrier ... never tougher to be a kid with the prospects of the future they may face. AI potentially wiping out entire industries/career opportunities. The environment/climate being on the verge of collapse. Forget about owning a home. But then the kids who are thinking of these existential topics arent the ones turning to violence. The kids that turn to violence now are the same ones that existed back in the day. Simpletons that just want to go out and fuck people up.

I grew up in Richmond (Quilchena Elementary, Cambie Junior High and Richmond High and finished Grade 12 at John Oliver) and yes, we had violence around regularly when I was young, but I don't remember it being so blatant. We were never swarmed, no one ever pulled knives on us or anyone we knew, and no one was stabbed randomly. Our encounters were usually one-on-one, and they generally stopped after that. I feel like today’s youth tend to attack on a much larger scale.

I agree with your point about juvy. My brother went to Willingdon (is that still around?), and it actually made him worse. There was also a time when our parents, or at least my dad and some of my friends' dads, didn’t hesitate to smack us around. I’m not saying that was the solution, but I’m glad he did because it taught me never to resort to violence against anyone. I will defend myself and the innocent but if I can avoid it I will.

I was also a massive gamer as a kid from the first CPU to the first consoles but I somehow was able to normally socialize, that being said the games back then did not have the online capability today.
I saw swarmings, a curb stomping and a stabbing growing up. The curb stomping was outside my high schools side door. Fuckin traumatic and I still remember the kids name who it happened to. We're talking about an era when we had gangs like the Viet Ching, Los Diablos and Red Eagles ... not to mention Italian kids who had "cousins" in HA. And no they didnt just stick to beating each other. They would commit random assaults. Nothing has changed with respect to gangs ... only that the gangs are consolidated now.

I dont think you can compare your gaming of the past with what it is today. You bring it up yourself. The online aspect makes it a self contained world that kids can virtually live in and not need to leave and that is a killer socially imo.

Willingdon has been gone for like 20 years. Aquilini and First nations groups are redeveloping those "lands" into a strange high rise resi development complex with movie studios ... I dont mean a theatre I mean massive actual studio production facilities like Bridge and North Shore studios. There was also talk that was where Canucks would be building their practice facility.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@jstewismybastardson , first of all, excellent post above - I think one of the big differences is I didn't really experience any gang activity growing up as a kid and then into my teenage years. That must have been very traumatic to witness. As I mentioned earlier, maybe I was just lucky as I was on the shorter side growing up and would have been easy pickings for bullying, but I was maybe targeted maybe two or three times where actual violence occurred and all that happened was a bloody nose and a few scratches and bruises (you should have seen the other guy lol).

You could very well be right, though, maybe I'm looking at it through nostalgic glasses combined with it being kept under wraps. What I will say is that the older, bigger kids for the most part were pretty welcoming, When we played shinny on the outdoor rink, they would split the teams up fairly and anybody taking liberties were shut down pretty quickly.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@jstewismybastardson , first of all, excellent post above - I think one of the big differences is I didn't really experience any gang activity growing up as a kid and then into my teenage years. That must have been very traumatic to witness. As I mentioned earlier, maybe I was just lucky as I was on the shorter side growing up and would have been easy pickings for bullying, but I was maybe targeted maybe two or three times where actual violence occurred and all that happened was a bloody nose and a few scratches and bruises (you should have seen the other guy lol).

You could very well be right, though, maybe I'm looking at it through nostalgic glasses combined with it being kept under wraps. What I will say is that the older, bigger kids for the most part were pretty welcoming, When we played shinny on the outdoor rink, they would split the teams up fairly and anybody taking liberties were shut down pretty quickly.
Both the elementary and high school my kids have gone to/are attending have had "little buddy" mentorship programs where the older kids are paired with younger kids at the start of the year. In elementary school, the groups of kids would meet every 2 weeks for the entire school year in one block to do whatever they wanted. Go shoot hoops. draw, do puzzles, sit there and read books ... just talk to each other. Im almost positive that Burnaby is not an outlier and this is happening today at other schools and in other school districts. This is the type of program that teaches leadership, respect and empathy.

In my day the only little buddy program was the daily ass kickings grade 12's would lay on grade 8's lol

Its much sexier for media to report on the random stabbing that a group of kids perpetrated last week though :noidea:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how are you quantifying that? whats your sample size ? lol

I spend a lot of time with kids (and their parents - no diddy parties here) whether its through hockey or gymnastics or swimming ... and while its easy to say ok you are spending time with those that have passions that fill their lives/are involved in sports and are so called "the good kids", I feel I can get a good gauge of what the bad kids today are all about.

I will ask or hear kids talk about "the bad kids" and there are so few of them and they get dealt with much more swiftly by systems/institutions than they were when I was a kid. You wont get this impression if your sole exposure to teenagers is the one or 2 stories you read in media (or press releases from the Conservative party) today about swarmings or stabbings.

Shit disturbers back in the day just seemed to be allowed to continue being shit disturbers where as now "the adults" step in right away. Not successfully in many instances but there is quicker intervention. Bullying is pretty much non existent in schools these days when compared to my high school years thanks to anti bullying programs. Kids today dont even know what "smoke pits" are. lol

I think kids today have every right to be angrier ... never tougher to be a kid with the prospects of the future they may face. AI potentially wiping out entire industries/career opportunities. The environment/climate being on the verge of collapse. Forget about owning a home. But then the kids who are thinking of these existential topics arent the ones turning to violence. The kids that turn to violence now are the same ones that existed back in the day. Simpletons that just want to go out and fuck people up.

I saw swarmings, a curb stomping and a stabbing growing up. The curb stomping was outside my high schools side door. Fuckin traumatic and I still remember the kids name who it happened to. We're talking about an era when we had gangs like the Viet Ching, Los Diablos and Red Eagles ... not to mention Italian kids who had "cousins" in HA. And no they didnt just stick to beating each other. They would commit random assaults. Nothing has changed with respect to gangs ... only that the gangs are consolidated now.

I dont think you can compare your gaming of the past with what it is today. You bring it up yourself. The online aspect makes it a self contained world that kids can virtually live in and not need to leave and that is a killer socially imo.

Willingdon has been gone for like 20 years. Aquilini and First nations groups are redeveloping those "lands" into a strange high rise resi development complex with movie studios ... I dont mean a theatre I mean massive actual studio production facilities like Bridge and North Shore studios. There was also talk that was where Canucks would be building their practice facility.

The open bullying is gone and is being replaced by online bullying without even knowing who the kids bully is, that being said you are probably right on bullying being minimal now due to the programs and I tend to think that parents do step in more.

. .. I remember the gangs (John Oliver had its own school cop) but I never saw anything like what you described (were you in North Burnaby? East Van for school?..

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The open bullying is gone and is being replaced by online bullying without even knowing who the kids bully is, that being said you are probably right on bullying being minimal now due to the programs and I tend to think that parents do step in more.

. .. I remember the gangs (John Oliver had its own school cop) but I never saw anything like what you described (were you in North Burnaby? East Van for school?..
Yah thats true ... the online bullying is prevelant ... as far as the stepping in though, Its the schools/administrators that step in more today in my experience/opinion. The online/away from school bullying is tough for the schools to police but when/if it gets brought to their attention, they generally deal with it. It makes things much more difficult for teachers today. They tend to deal with this more than I can remember teachers dealing with it when I went to school. Back then it was a philosophy of "we will leave it to the kids to sort it out" ... even if a kids was bullied daily and their life was miserable.

Going back to my point that kids have it tougher than ever these days. There is no more safe space for kids thanks to todays online gaming and social media. We used to be able to go home and that was it ... today they go home and if they are being bullied and refuse to/can't step away from their devices, they continue to face it.

Temp ... JO had kids in gangs too ... Didnt Bindy Johal go there? (could have been Tupper)

I think youre forgetting what growing up was like back then honestly lol and it wasnt just geographically limited to East Van. I have friends now who went to Kits and Alpha/Burnaby North/Notre Dame and they describe similar shit that happened during their childhood ... more drug related stuff though ... probably because those kids had money .

My wife grew up in South Langley and has a hellacious story about the Vietnamese kids who moved into the area (parents owned a mushroom farm) and were subject to beatdowns because they were Vietnamese. She brought one up when that story about the Kelowna girl who was invited to a party by "friends" only to end up being swarmed. Same thing happened to the 2 vietnamese brothers ... invited to a bush party (what was that notorious gravel pit in Langley/Aldergrove called? lol) .. given alcohol and then shitkicked

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah thats true ... the online bullying is prevelant ... as far as the stepping in though, Its the schools/administrators that step in more today in my experience/opinion. The online/away from school bullying is tough for the schools to police but when/if it gets brought to their attention, they generally deal with it. It makes things much more difficult for teachers today. They tend to deal with this more than I can remember teachers dealing with it when I went to school. Back then it was a philosophy of "we will leave it to the kids to sort it out" ... even if a kids was bullied daily and their life was miserable.

Going back to my point that kids have it tougher than ever these days. There is no more safe space for kids thanks to todays online gaming and social media. We used to be able to go home and that was it ... today they go home and if they are being bullied and refuse to/can't step away from their devices, they continue to face it.

Temp ... JO had kids in gangs too ... Didnt Bindy Johal go there? (could have been Tupper)

I think youre forgetting what growing up was like back then honestly lol and it wasnt just geographically limited to East Van. I have friends now who went to Kits and Alpha/Burnaby North/Notre Dame and they describe similar shit that happened during their childhood ... more drug related stuff though ... probably because those kids had money .

My wife grew up in South Langley and has a hellacious story about the Vietnamese kids who moved into the area (parents owned a mushroom farm) and were subject to beatdowns because they were Vietnamese. She brought one up when that story about the Kelowna girl who was invited to a party by "friends" only to end up being swarmed. Same thing happened to the 2 vietnamese brothers ... invited to a bush party (what was that notorious gravel pit in Langley/Aldergrove called? lol) .. given alcohol and then shitkicked

I think Bindy did go there but Im not sure it was in my last year.

I only mentioned east van and north Burnaby as I thought one of those areas was primarily where you grew up... and the Italian thing lol

PTSD shit is coming back to me now the reason why I finished school in Vancouver and not Richmond was I had to move schools because I actually had a group of people that had a personal fight club against me everyday lol... all because a girl lied and every day I went to school I had to fight for 4 straight days... I was going to drop out but the principal got me transferred to JO half way through the year so I could graduate (was very happy to thank him at a school reunion years ago)

I remember the pit but not the name...

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
.. invited to a bush party (what was that notorious gravel pit in Langley/Aldergrove called? lol) .. given alcohol and then shitkicked
we just referred to it as "the pit" if you are referring to the old quarry on 192 and 20th-ish
there was some pretty epic drag racing on Latimer road near there.
I had to race my mom's car against some souped up datsun, as i needed to get some girl home by 12:30 or she was dead meat, and racing was the only way through. I think we were supposed to stop after 1/4 mile, but i just kept going, lol

we also hung out at "the tracks", which was just a vacant lot south of willowbrook mall. train tracks ran through it, of course.