• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Vancouver People

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I shouldn't be surprised, but Roger Federer announced his retirement from competitive tennis earlier today and he is arguably the best player to ever pick up a racket. You'd think that would warrant a mention right off the bat of the Donnie and Dhali show this morning, but no.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this story and figured while it might sway some ethnic voters toward “their” candidate, there is an argument about voters being able to identify candidates in such a multicultural city.

Saw a tv hit about this and this woman was one of the interviewees who was pleased she would get to use her Chinese name.

Yeah, would be an injustice if this woman couldn’t have her “Chinese name” on the ballot.

(Btw, it’s not a translation it’s a nickname she claims was “bestowed upon her”)

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, would be an injustice if this woman couldn’t have her “Chinese name” on the ballot.

(Btw, it’s not a translation it’s a nickname she claims was “bestowed upon her”)
I (French and Dutch decsent) have had a Chinese name bestowed upon me as well.

As my last name begins with a B, that name just becomes Bai (means "white"), but the first name, I shit you not, translates to "Commander Handsome Horse".

My mother in law and her old lady Chinese friends sat around one afternoon trying to figure out a good name for me. Could have been worse I guess, but I would have hated to be around for the conversation.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As my last name begins with a B, that name just becomes Bai (means "white"), but the first name, I shit you not, translates to "Commander Handsome Horse".

My mother in law and her old lady Chinese friends sat around one afternoon trying to figure out a good name for me. Could have been worse I guess, but I would have hated to be around for the conversation.
I too have a Chinese name

"gwailou"

I believe it is very honourable and strong like

STRONG MOUNTAIN
OR
LION HEART

I'm honoured

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a Chinese name story but my wife is Serbian. When she visits her relatives and tells them my name, they all burst out laughing; my name literally translates in Serbian to....wait for it -- idiot.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, TIL. Two of my best friends are married to Chinese women (one of them has had their MIL living with them since the pandemic started lol) and never heard that from either. Maybe it’s happened and they just haven’t said anything.

There’s still something funny to me about the whitest lady alive arguing to be listed in Chinese.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
There’s still something funny to me about the whitest lady alive arguing to be listed in Chinese.
Absolutely. Can't blame her though.
My MIL used to line up to make sure to vote, but had absolutely no idea who stood for what, so just picked the Chinese names to vote for. I'm sure she wasn't the only one.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Deleted tweet

20220918_225101.jpg

Because
(someone named Lil Baby cancelled due to illness)

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Big lil'Baby fan?
i just learned that Coi Leray exists, and i am now a big fan.
Haven't listened to anything, but google image search is nice.

after seeing her, I would have been too glazy -eyed to riot.