• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Vancouver People

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like people really lost their shit about this … without the whole story … appears the current owners of that donut company banked on “outrage” by getting their side of the story out first

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
“Looking to free up more housing”

Y’all gonna buy a fleet of cruise ships and moor them in the harbour for these folks?

jesus, open up riverview again already

letting these people who need help loose with a pocketful of meds (that they can take if they remember) was a disaster.
They go right to the DTES, where dealers are absolutely preying on them.
all of these DTES Societies that pay the directors fat salaries, but would cease to exist if the problem was cleaned up are almost as bad.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

letting these people who need help loose with a pocketful of meds (that they can take if they remember) was a disaster.
all of these DTES Societies that pay the directors fat salaries, but would cease to exist if the problem was cleaned up are almost as bad.
Or at least something similar, or a program that works on treatment of those who can be treated and removal from the public of those who cannot.

The thing is everybody understands 1) how bad this is and 2) how much worse it's getting and yet nothing is being done about it.

With this, the healthcare system completely failing nationally, policing being a complete shitshow, the inability to figure out how to use our resources to our benefit, the massive unaffordability of basically everything we need etc. it's feeling like we're headed down the road toward being a failed state and it's as if everybody realizes it but nobody is doing shit all about it.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
there are a bunch of people who should not be on the street, for their own safety.
almost 1,100 people died of overdoses in the first half of this year.
not all of them have been in the DTES, but I would imagine a real good chunk have been.
These people who need help are absolutely being hand-fed to the dealers.

this problem has absolutely exploded since Riverview closed in 2012.
opening a bunch of unsupervised SROs is not the answer, as the illicit drugs are still there

in the past 7 years more than 10,000 overdose deaths in the province.
stats from here: Ten thousand lives lost to illicit drugs since declaration of public health emergency | BC Gov News

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are a bunch of people who should not be on the street, for their own safety.
almost 1,100 people died of overdoses in the first half of this year.
not all of them have been in the DTES, but I would imagine a real good chunk have been.
These people who need help are absolutely being hand-fed to the dealers.

this problem has absolutely exploded since Riverview closed in 2012.
opening a bunch of unsupervised SROs is not the answer, as the illicit drugs are still there

in the past 7 years more than 10,000 overdose deaths in the province.
stats from here: Ten thousand lives lost to illicit drugs since declaration of public health emergency | BC Gov News
I remember reading somewhere that there were addicts turning down "clean" heroin because it no longer provided them the high they were addicted to. I have absolutely no idea how you get people off fentanyl and I have a feeling rehab professionals are kind of clueless on this too and so long as that is what people are getting addicted to the death rate is going to stay steady.

Also, at the rate they're going up in flames we might run out of SRO's pretty soon anyway.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And why should they get free housing in Vancouver? Put them up in Kitimat or somewhere.

I'd like free housing in Vancouver too.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember reading somewhere that there were addicts turning down "clean" heroin because it no longer provided them the high they were addicted to. I have absolutely no idea how you get people off fentanyl and I have a feeling rehab professionals are kind of clueless on this too and so long as that is what people are getting addicted to the death rate is going to stay steady.

Also, at the rate they're going up in flames we might run out of SRO's pretty soon anyway.

Unless it's a family member or somebody you know I find it hard to drum up sympathy. I've navigated the inebriant world at times in uncharted waters.

Fentanyl wasn't the killer when I was young and stupid, but the things that lead you that way were around. And I never took that path.

I think it's a waste of time trying to correct some of these folks and we should view many of them as crop thinning. The remaining trees grow better because no energy is being wasted on a scrub tree. Harsh I know.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless it's a family member or somebody you know I find it hard to drum up sympathy. I've navigated the inebriant world at times in uncharted waters.

Fentanyl wasn't the killer when I was young and stupid, but the things that lead you that way were around. And I never took that path.

I think it's a waste of time trying to correct some of these folks and we should view many of them as crop thinning. The remaining trees grow better because no energy is being wasted on a scrub tree. Harsh I know.
Preventing more from getting to that point of hopelessness is really important for how we want our society to progress. Like puck said, reopening Riverview or a similar facility is step one.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As legit as the time his foot got run over in a save on parking lot

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
/although a multi use facility is these parts could be called the Toyota Tacoma Dome :think:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
lol. I bought a bottle of Pink Whitney last summer, still have 95% of it.

however, i did zip down to the store yesterday to pick up a bottle of this. so nice.
gotta be careful though, it's 46%

1661461211269.png

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to see these guys in the orange jumpsuits at the Oasis Car Wash (now closed) on Kingsway when I was working at Metrotown. Perhaps the owner was inspired by the following...