• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT- Trivia

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the NHL were to put a hockey team in Vegas, there's enough tourists (both Canadians and Americans) in Vegas at any given point in time that it would be successful.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the NHL were to put a hockey team in Vegas, there's enough tourists (both Canadians and Americans) in Vegas at any given point in time that it would be successful.

i want hockey to give it a try.. i think the 1st team in vegas is going to do damage if they do it right.. set it up like a show, have slot machines and poker tables in the arena.. make going to games in vegas an experience and you're gunna sell tickets

plus the publicity of the first pro-sports team in vegas is going to be huge i think.. people are going to be interested to see if a team works in vegas

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i would go to a game every time I was in vegas. I'm there 2 times during the season at least

if they were in our Div and the canucks went 3 times a year I would go 3 times a year.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I always wonder how many hockey fans on vacation would go watch a hockey game? Wouldn't you prefer to do things you can't do at home while on vacay? Plus, IMO the game would also become a sideshow, like Sigfried and Roy.

Any sport would be. I think that's why no major sport has gone there. Well, that and the stigma of organized crime and gambling...

And yes, I consider the Rose Bowl a major event. And the Long Beach Grand Prix too. Neither is the "Championship", but are very prestigious and highly attended events.

Of course, I don't actually have the answer....

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i want hockey to give it a try.. i think the 1st team in vegas is going to do damage if they do it right.. set it up like a show, have slot machines and poker tables in the arena.. make going to games in vegas an experience and you're gunna sell tickets

plus the publicity of the first pro-sports team in vegas is going to be huge i think.. people are going to be interested to see if a team works in vegas

There are thousands of Calgarians in Vegas every weekend - You schedule the Vegas Floppers against the Calgary Flames on a Thursday through Sunday night and that game will be sell-out.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vegas

Boxing championship
UFC championship
Golf championship
Final 4
Nascar championship/poker championship/tennis championship/hooker championship
not sure on events but Vegas IMO
tough as I thought there were "4" major sports-NFL,NBA,MLB and NHL

IMO -title is too vague-what do you consider as "major".I,m going off top of my head and didn't even add in the pro sports drafts,college drafts,etc..which are considered by many as "major" events.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always wonder how many hockey fans on vacation would go watch a hockey game? Wouldn't you prefer to do things you can't do at home while on vacay? Plus, IMO the game would also become a sideshow, like Sigfried and Roy.

Any sport would be. I think that's why no major sport has gone there. Well, that and the stigma of organized crime and gambling...

I don't think location really matters, 43, if a sporting event is going to be fixed and organized crime is involved, it's going to happen. Look at the recent scandals they've had in Germany and Italy with match fixing in soccer.
In fact, I would argue that Vegas with all the regulations that they have in place might be one of the better places to prevent the fixing of games.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think location really matters, 43, if a sporting event is going to be fixed and organized crime is involved, it's going to happen. Look at the recent scandals they've had in Germany and Italy with match fixing in soccer.
In fact, I would argue that Vegas with all the regulations that they have in place might be one of the better places to prevent the fixing of games.

I agree with you, dash. But I don't know if any sport commissioner wants to the be the first to breach that barrier.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

And yes, I consider the Rose Bowl a major event. And the Long Beach Grand Prix too. Neither is the "Championship", but are very prestigious and highly attended events.

Of course, I don't actually have the answer....

My vacations are usually planned around a hockey game.

mbhhofr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We do not have a winner.

The metro area is the Twin Cities and the events are:

May, 1991: Stanley Cup Final. Bloomington Mn.

June, 1991: US Open Golf Championship. Chaska, Mn.

October, 1991: World Series. Minneapolis, Mn.

January, 1992: Super Bowl, Minneapolis, Mn.

April, 1992: NCAA Final Four, Minneapolis, Mn.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didnt see that one coming.....

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I bet Jagr would have his fingers crossed during the expansion draft...

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I usually plan on doing whatever my wife and her tits tell me to do.:whip:

add one for me too as what she says goes. its a pretty easy decision. but she always plans around something for me too so I can't complain

oh and for those who don't do what we do.. then you aint married :) and if so then you probably won't be for long :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
add one for me too as what she says goes. its a pretty easy decision. but she always plans around something for me too so I can't complain

oh and for those who don't do what we do.. then you aint married :) and if so then you probably won't be for long :)

Yup. Most of the time she just says "Shut up. Here's your tickets." :rockon:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do not have a winner.

Wow. Wasn't expecting that at all.

I kept thinking "US Open... where has the Open been..."

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do not have a winner.

I'm joining this thread too late. :( I doubt anyone will believe me but I was going to guess the twin cities in the early 90s. Just because I remember them making such a big deal about it at the time. I only knew 3 of the 5 though so I wasn't sure..