• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Things we find freaking neat but no place to post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck with the research!

good luck and try not to start the zombie apocalypse... or maybe do start it, could be fun

Good luck brudda. :suds:

Thanks, sirs! :yo:

And matty, I don't know if you saw, but a research group at Wisconsin (I think) developed a flu virus against which the human immune system is utterly useless. The zombie apocalypse may be closer than you think!

(They made it to find ways to defend against such pathogens, since it's entirely possible we could encounter them, but still, it's a little scary to know that exists.)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, this is pretty great.

Tragic Vintage Ballplayer of the Day: Humpty Badel | NotGraphs Baseball

When I took charge of the Johnstown club of the Tri-State League in 1908 I had on my team a player by the name of “Humpty” Badel. The lad was a native of Pittsburg and was afflicted with quite a growth on his back, hence his sobriquet of “Humpty.” Notwithstanding this misfortune, Badel was a ball player of ability…How that lad Badel could hit! Short of stature, he had a crouching position at the bat that made him an exceedingly hard man to pitch to…On the bases he was a whirlwind, and in sliding he would invariably land on the “hump,” making him an exceedingly hard man for the baseman to touch…It was intellectually that Badel failed. It is always my custom to train my men in a system of signals whereby their team-work is carried through the season. In this inside work, Badel was absolutely helpless. He would do exactly the opposite of what he was told to do…To make the signs easy for him, I suggested that he name any words, numbers, etc., that I should tell him when a play was expected in which he might take part. To complicate the signs they were to be given by me in the German language. To play the hit-and-run game, Badel suggested that I yell out and call him “Honus.” He would then surely know what was expected of him. This I did, but soon everybody in the bleachers was calling him “Honus.” He really got along well until one day, I put on the “Honus play” and Badel was so delighted in pulling it off that he yelled in to me on the coaching line in the German language, “Hab ich das nicht gesagt?” Then, notwithstanding my yells to look out for the ball that was being fast fielded in, he wandered off the base and was caught napping. There were not many more “Honus plays” after that, as poor Badel was seized with a nervous affliction and was compelled to quit the game.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And matty, I don't know if you saw, but a research group at Wisconsin (I think) developed a flu virus against which the human immune system is utterly useless. The zombie apocalypse may be closer than you think!

(They made it to find ways to defend against such pathogens, since it's entirely possible we could encounter them, but still, it's a little scary to know that exists.)

no kidding. wow. Ill start stocking up

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do I think DS is trying to perfect the impenetrable bike lock?

Heh, I don't stand to profit one bit from what I'm doing, and in fact, when I'm actually doing the project, I won't even be getting paid to do research. :laugh:

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One of the recent Through The Wormhole episodes dealt with the possibility of a zombie outbreak.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still haven't seen that. I take it you enjoy it.

Very much so. Some of the things they cover are very interesting. Plus Morgan Freeman is one of the best narrators to ever grace this Earth.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you closer to the "Straight outta Compton" or "Ex-LAX"?

South Orange County.
My old house on that map would be on a cliff with ocean in the back yard and about a block from the main ocean in front. My current house would be inland about 1-3 miles from water.
San Joaquin peninsula or playas de santiago

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eighteen Paintings of Ballparks | NotGraphs Baseball

Craig Robinson's baseball art really appeals to me. I may be (am) biased, but the PNC Park one is my favorite.

CR-24-4.jpg

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey ds ... Make sure that if you try and file ip patents, you use your own computer and not your work/university lab computers lol

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not gonna lie, got a couple tears...

Last edited by a moderator:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash