• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Things we find freaking neat but no place to post

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
so this is interesting (from a former adult film actress):

‏@Britney_Maclin
At the merc bar with my girlfriend, meredith. It’s bringing back flashbacks of when I use to meet MLB players here & take them Back to the Ritz Carleton to have some fun with them so they would sign with a certain agent.
Gosh.. I was only 18. Crazy how things happen! So young & naive!

i’m sitting at the same table I met Dan Uggla at lol

I'm sure a 'certain agent' is thrilled to hear her reminisce. Uggla, too

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so this is interesting (from a former adult film actress):

‏@Britney_Maclin
At the merc bar with my girlfriend, meredith. It’s bringing back flashbacks of when I use to meet MLB players here & take them Back to the Ritz Carleton to have some fun with them so they would sign with a certain agent.
Gosh.. I was only 18. Crazy how things happen! So young & naive!

i’m sitting at the same table I met Dan Uggla at lol

I'm sure a 'certain agent' is thrilled to hear her reminisce. Uggla, too

Im glad shes back to twitter ... went on hiatus ... i thought she did something rash

but maybe she just had a rash :noidea:

/and still giving it away for free ... keep on keepin on Bibi!!! ... cheers to a true pron philanthropist

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming he did this away from work; are there any real grounds for dismissal?

A lot of factors involved. Depends on any code of ethics you sign, or any clause about causing harm or embarassment to the the company.

Or maybe he was a douche (what are the odds?) and they were just looking for a reason.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Assuming he did this away from work; are there any real grounds for dismissal?

many industries have personal conduct requirements.
I doubt retail does, but still... you should always be able to fire someone for being an asshole

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
many industries have personal conduct requirements.
I doubt retail does, but still... you should always be able to fire someone for being an asshole

I can't agree with asshole; scumbag, sure thing.

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of factors involved. Depends on any code of ethics you sign, or any clause about causing harm or embarassment to the the company.

Or maybe he was a douche (what are the odds?) and they were just looking for a reason.

Yeah, I suppose if he signed something, then he's pretty much fucked.

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah well. I'm self-employed so it's all moot for me.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he should have been fired. People should be free to do what they want on their own time.

However, I do not agree with his stance. I also feel that anyone seeking self gratification by making similar comments online should receive the same treatment that the man who caused her to kill herself deserves.

What is that, you ask? Watch the video "Forced Gender Reassignment" by the band Cattle Decapitation if you have a strong stomach. That is what they all deserve.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
u gotta be some kinda stupid to make those comments on your facebook page while you have the name of your employer right there for everybody to see

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your words are brilliant.

What does his comment have to do with his emnployment. As long as he didn't type that from a work computer, it should not be an issue. That doesn't take away the fact that he is a POS that should be hung for the type of human being he is.

:pop2:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Your words are brilliant.

What does his comment have to do with his emnployment. As long as he didn't type that from a work computer, it should not be an issue. That doesn't take away the fact that he is a POS that should be hung for the type of human being he is.

:pop2:

I had a long speech all typed up, but didn't want to get too far into it.
however, as you asked: I think it is an absolutely ridiculous and dangerous notion that people should have carte blanche to be absolutely and utterly evil as long as they are not on the clock, and it will not reflect on their workplace. can you be a cyber-bully, but it's OK because it's not between 9-5? can you go to Klan meetings, but it's OK because its on weekends? does that not reflect on your company? as an employer, do you want a retail representative on the floor who you know make no bones about being a vocal racist or homophobe? I sure wouldn't.

It's also why I believe the generation growing up today on facebook are complete and utter morons when it comes to personal PR. Whenever I have been involved with hiring someone, yes I sure as fuck check out their facebook / twitter life. If they are retards / drunks / racist / trolls in that setting, they are not getting a call back. If they dumb enough to not KNOW that airing that publicly could affect their professional life, that's just another reason they not getting a callback.

so yeah, :L

oh, also.... caaanoonnnnbaaaallllll

4sjk.gif

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First off... wtf? :lol:

I had a long speech all typed up, but didn't want to get too far into it.
however, as you asked: I think it is an absolutely ridiculous and dangerous notion that people should have carte blanche to be absolutely and utterly evil as long as they are not on the clock, and it will not reflect on their workplace. can you be a cyber-bully, but it's OK because it's not between 9-5? can you go to Klan meetings, but it's OK because its on weekends? does that not reflect on your company? as an employer, do you want a retail representative on the floor who you know make no bones about being a vocal racist or homophobe? I sure wouldn't.

It's also why I believe the generation growing up today on facebook are complete and utter morons when it comes to personal PR. Whenever I have been involved with hiring someone, yes I sure as fuck check out their facebook / twitter life. If they are retards / drunks / racist / trolls in that setting, they are not getting a call back. If they dumb enough to not KNOW that airing that publicly could affect their professional life, that's just another reason they not getting a callback.

Secondly, a side of me agrees with you, but then another side doesn't. I am all for freedom. I think that if a person is a retard, like the guy who was fired, he should be free to do so but he should be socially murdered by people for what he is. However, being an advocate of freedom I also take the side of the employer as well in them doing whatever they want because it is their own business.

I guess it is a catch 22. I in no way support what the asshole did, or the main perpetrator of the bullying to the girl.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
maybe consider it a freedom of employers to choose the personalities that they wish to employ? :noidea:

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off... wtf? :lol:

Secondly, a side of me agrees with you, but then another side doesn't. I am all for freedom. I think that if a person is a retard, like the guy who was fired, he should be free to do so but he should be socially murdered by people for what he is. However, being an advocate of freedom I also take the side of the employer as well in them doing whatever they want because it is their own business.

I guess it is a catch 22. I in no way support what the asshole did, or the main perpetrator of the bullying to the girl.

I think that's the key point. Freedom goes both ways.

However, I don't like the idea of companies firing people for any reason. For example, sexual orientation. It's a fine line, I guess. Maybe the key is determining whether someone's behaviour is actually detrimental or not.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that when someone does something universally immoral, unethical, disturbing, or whatever other word you want to throw in there, in his or her private life, it often reflects on what type of character that person has. Character is often reflected in quality of work, be it in the timeliness and quality of the completion of work-related tasks, the interactions of the worker with his or her colleagues, the interactions of the worker with persons outside the company (private or public), or any other factor of work performance. Ergo, when someone does something significantly wrong outside of work, and the company catches wind of it, they can fire the individual on the basis of not living up to the quality of character they want to employ.

Beyond that, anything done online is done in a public forum and therefor is no longer a part of the individual's private life. Public actions reflect upon the company, and so public actions are the company's concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.