• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Things we find freaking neat but no place to post

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave fair warning, I think. :tsk:

But it is precisely these sorts of mentalities, the idea that we can debate on facts instead of with them, and that telling people they're wrong when they are, indeed, objectively wrong is somehow bullying them is why we have struggled to solve the energy crisis, the education situation, and our economy.

Yeah, very frightening. A lengthy but good read on the topic:

How facts backfire - The Boston Globe

Recently, a few political scientists have begun to discover a human tendency deeply discouraging to anyone with faith in the power of information. It’s this: Facts don’t necessarily have the power to change our minds. In fact, quite the opposite. In a series of studies in 2005 and 2006, researchers at the University of Michigan found that when misinformed people, particularly political partisans, were exposed to corrected facts in news stories, they rarely changed their minds. In fact, they often became even more strongly set in their beliefs. Facts, they found, were not curing misinformation. Like an underpowered antibiotic, facts could actually make misinformation even stronger.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The term "Global Warming". Climate Change is given a friendly name so people can start to get the gist of what is happening. And then people say "How's a snowstorm got anything to do with so-called 'Global Warming'" :L

*sigh*

I'm gonna go sit in a corner now...

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rT40Itl.gif

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ I was waiting for the lions to show up.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The term "Global Warming". Climate Change is given a friendly name so people can start to get the gist of what is happening. And then people say "How's a snowstorm got anything to do with so-called 'Global Warming'" :L

*sigh*

anyone see VICE this past week ... about drought in Texas and the religious rights response to it :L

heres the debrief but if you get a chance to see the full 15 minute segment ... its headshakingly good

Last edited by a moderator:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

*sigh*

Yeah, the name was definitely a mistake and led to endless "<insert city name here> got 15 inches of Global Warming dumped on it overnight har har" remarks.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the name was definitely a mistake and led to endless "<insert city name here> got 15 inches of Global Warming dumped on it overnight har har" remarks.

One of the core issues is that people think weather and climate are the same thing. They aren't. Weather is a product or symptom of climate, but they are not interchangeable words.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the core issues is that people think weather and climate are the same thing. They aren't. Weather is a product or symptom of climate, but they are not interchangeable words.

I haven't used this smiley in a while...:nerd:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They also don't understand the down-the-road impact of things. And I don't mean years or decades in the future, but just the impact of one season on the next.

Like that an abnormally warm summer and fall that raises the temperatures in the Great Lakes several degrees higher than usual can produce more snow in the winter when the cold air from Canada passes over a warmer-than-normal lake and picks up even more moisture.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, when it gets cold out and someone makes the remark "so much for global warming", when it gets hot out can I say "so much for junk science"?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was cooler this morning than yesterday morning. I think this hole global warming has peeked.

Status
Not open for further replies.