• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Things we find freaking neat but no place to post

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
these are so fantastic I love the guy that throws up the jar? slips falls and the jar lands on him. right out of looney toons

My favorite was the purse snatcher that got hit by the train.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite was the purse snatcher that got hit by the train.
Mine was the first one. I don't know how many times I've witnessed someone driving on the shoulder to beat a traffic jam just so they can get to where they are going sooner. Even after the traffic clears, that guy is going nowhere.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
horse-kick-face
street-sign-fights-back
dead-purse-snatcher

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Long exposure photo of a lightning bolt hitting a tree

Bf0z5Y6IcAAeuvi.jpg

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
and how to bend water
damned right I'm going to try this

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and how to bend water
damned right I'm going to try this

It's really quite simple, the physics/chemistry behind it.

Water is a polar molecule, the oxygen has a permanent partial negative charge on it and the hydrogen a permanent partial positive charge due to the significantly higher electronegativity of oxygen, which means the bonding electrons spend more time (are more likely to be found) around the oxygen.

When you apply a static charge to the balloon, the opposite poles of the nearest water molecules are attracted to it, causing them to orient themselves accordingly. Since that layer now has a uniform charge facing the bulk, the next layer of water molecules arrange themselves to maximize the attractive interaction there, and so on through the whole stream, ultimately pulling the water toward the balloon.

This graphic summarizes the point well.

WaterBendMolecules.gif

If you tried the same experiment with a nonpolar liquid like hexane, the stream would be unperturbed.

:nerd:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my tap doesn't pour hexane, smart guy. :rollseyes:

/I don't think

Haha, I'm just saying, some of us have access to bottles of hexane and burettes with which to carry out such experiments whenever we choose... :rolleyes: :nerd:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's interesting about that water video, to me anyway, is how it would change if it was solid H2O (ice).

The electrical properties of ice are so different from unfrozen water that it leads to a bunch of different physical reactions. For example if a flowing glacier were placed next to a proportional electrical charge (not really an actual chance that this happens), it's path would theoretically not be altered as much as the liquid water in the above video.

These may seem like nerdish musings but some of these "weird" properties of water are what makes life on earth possible.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, I'm just saying, some of us have access to bottles of hexane and burettes with which to carry out such experiments whenever we choose... :rolleyes: :nerd:

I had always thought Puckhead was more interested in blondes.

(Bent the perceived truth to fit the pun)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's interesting about that water video, to me anyway, is how it would change if it was solid H2O (ice).

The electrical properties of ice are so different from unfrozen water that it leads to a bunch of different physical reactions. For example if a flowing glacier were placed next to a proportional electrical charge (not really an actual chance that this happens), it's path would theoretically not be altered as much as the liquid water in the above video.

These may seem like nerdish musings but some of these "weird" properties of water are what makes life on earth possible.

Ice has a symmetric lattice, so the charge distribution averages out. Since the molecules are so rigidly packed in their configuration, the reorientation of the individual molecules' dipole moments wouldn't occur, and no, the glacier's path would not be affected.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you get your hands on some hydrofluoroether for me? :D

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ice has a symmetric lattice, so the charge distribution averages out. Since the molecules are so rigidly packed in their configuration, the reorientation of the individual molecules' dipole moments wouldn't occur, and no, the glacier's path would not be affected.

Yeah, um, what he said :D

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

science!.jpg

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen Django Unchained. Is this implying his wife was murdered so he stopped being a dentist and started rounding up criminals.

Status
Not open for further replies.