• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Things we find freaking neat but no place to post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KgoAgsn.gif

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have located the soundtrack

Lizard: Hey kitty
Cat: FLAAARRGSH BLAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH WOOOWWBWBBWOWOWBWBWOW *pant*
<pause>
Lizard: 'sup?
Cat: BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH WHWPPPPPHABABABABA
Lizard: (under breath) fucking cats.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have located the soundtrack

Lizard: Hey kitty
Cat: FLAAARRGSH BLAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH WOOOWWBWBBWOWOWBWBWOW *pant*
<pause>
Lizard: 'sup?
Cat: BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH WHWPPPPPHABABABABA
Lizard: (under breath) fucking cats.

I like how the lizard doesn't even move after the first freakout. Or the second.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That looks like a bearded dragon to me and they are very docile creatures (i.e. until you throw some crickets into their cage. Then the fun begins).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid question, but what took them so long?

Apparently a similar concept has been ongoing in India since 1992. I imagine the issue was developing the appropriate reactor (or finding a modification simple enough to use on current reactors) since the process is a bit different. Different in a way which makes it safer, by the way.

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joke I heard online today:

"In 2011, scientists discovered traces of female hormones in alcohol. To test this theory, they gave 100 men 12 pints of beer each. The theory was then proven correct when 100% of the men began talking complete nonsense and lost the ability to drive."

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In celebrity birthday news, Lindsey Lohan turned 27 today. This is interesting as 27 is seen as the "magic death age" for troubled celebrities.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very cool, D'stone.

I saw something awesome in the North America series on Discovery. They think foxes have some kind of hard-wired magnetic field understanding. In the winter when there is snow pack, they hunt by jumping into the air (see video below) so they can shoot themselves through the snow to land on the prey beneath. They locate the rodents they can't see by listening and picking up on the vibrations. But the scientists observing them noticed something. When the fox is facing north (towards the Pole), the fox catches it's prey about three quarters of the time. When it's facing other directions, it's highly unsuccessful.

I've always been curious about what we'll learn about how animals understand the magnetic fields around us that humans seemingly have no awareness of. It is purely instinctual? Are some animals aware of it? Actually use it? Fascinating stuff.

SCIENCE! :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very cool, D'stone.

I saw something awesome in the North America series on Discovery. They think foxes have some kind of hard-wired magnetic field understanding. In the winter when there is snow pack, they hunt by jumping into the air (see video below) so they can shoot themselves through the snow to land on the prey beneath. They locate the rodents they can't see by listening and picking up on the vibrations. But the scientists observing them noticed something. When the fox is facing north (towards the Pole), the fox catches it's prey about three quarters of the time. When it's facing other directions, it's highly unsuccessful.

I've always been curious about what we'll learn about how animals understand the magnetic fields around us that humans seemingly have no awareness of. It is purely instinctual? Are some animals aware of it? Actually use it? Fascinating stuff.

SCIENCE! :thumb:

There is some sea-dweller that can sense light with its skin/scales. It's entire body is essentially low-resolution eyeballs. Remarkable.

The mantis shrimp has two eyes, and each eye is trinocular. It can detect 12 wavelengths of light. We can detect three (anatomically speaking that is).

Evolution is a remarkable thing, and it's amazing to me how many creatures perceive their surroundings. Bats which use echolocation, whatever jellyfish do (I'm sure it's evil) to figure out where they are, creatures who live so far under the water that it's pitch black. Whenever I learn about these sorts of animals, I wonder what it would be like to perceive the way they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.