• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Things we find freaking neat but no place to post

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not normal.

While most people in my country angrily shout at a television because of holding calls, the little gay kid getting kicked off a talent show despite his rendition of the Carpenters song being FAR superior to the fat black girl's or when the Tide car passes the Skoal car.

But me, no. Last night I was watching a show called "America Unearthed" on the "History" channel. It was all about the lost colony of Roanaoke Island and the dubious at best collection of so-called "Dare Stones".

The story is, basically, a colony of English lived on Roanoake Island near the Outer Banks. One of the colonists left to ask Sir Walter Raliegh for help and supplies and when he returned the entire colony was gone without a trace (*). That was late 1500s. In 1937, completely by coincidence that at the time of a play about the lost colony was popular, a person found a stone with inscriptions that indicated that one of the colonists, Eleanor Dare, was leaving behind a trail for people to find the colonists who were running for their lives. Over the next few years, and again completely by coincidence, more stones were found in South Carolina and outside Atlanta. Near where the play was showing.

Evidence suggests that the colonists made friends with an Indian Tribe, the Croatoans and due to harsh conditions, moved to their island, now Cape Hatteras. And when I say evidence, I mean the word "Croatoan" carved on the fort walls on Roanoake (* this is called a trace), tools and personal belongings of the colonists and stories of a rival tribe murdering the entire Croataoan tribe and a bunch of English people.

But this dumbass, who calls himself a forensic geologist, examines one of the rocks, declares them old and "real", speculates that the Colonists moved inland because of Hurricanes and eventually found their way to Atlanta. And then berates the guy who operates the Croatoan museum for "Wild speculation without fact" when he says "Uhh, those stones are the only thing that doesn't fit the evidence, so they are probably fake".

I wound up shouting at the TV - "YOU ARE THE WORST FUCKING INVESTIGATOR I HAVE EVER HEARD OF!"

Which was actually way better than when he tried to prove that America was discovered by Phoenecians because when you draw a straight line from the Salem Rock formations (America's "Stonehenge") through the actual Stonehenge, it ends near Beirut. Which was Phoenicia, and Canaan. If I didn't love my TV so much, I may hove heaved a shoe at it.

My wife suggested I watch House hunters International instead.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

Yea, that show is pretty lame. Although I am an avid Ancient Aliens fan which I am sure you loathe.

:sly:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which was actually way better than when he tried to prove that America was discovered by Phoenecians because when you draw a straight line from the Salem Rock formations (America's "Stonehenge") through the actual Stonehenge, it ends near Beirut. Which was Phoenicia, and Canaan. If I didn't love my TV so much, I may hove heaved a shoe at it.

lol, I have actually been there. Its quite something - not really. My wife's degree is in anthropology and was interested in this place so when in the area we made a pretty good detour to go there. It less impressive than any pictures you see of it.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

Yea, that show is pretty lame. Although I am an avid Ancient Aliens fan which I am sure you loathe.

:sly:

I don't have an opinion on Ancient Aliens because I never thought it was trying to be taken seriously. But this guy calling himself a forensic geologist (which doesn't exist) and his constant acting like there's some major conspiracy to keep him from getting to the truth drives me insane.

I guess because I am a forensic scientist and had to work for years to learn how to examine and present fact it really grates on my nerves when he says shit like "Hey, this lines up directly with Stonehenge, therefore Phoenicians discovered America."

It's like saying, I have a piece of rope, therefore I am a cowboy.

lol, I have actually been there. Its quite something - not really. My wife's degree is in anthropology and was interested in this place so when in the area we made a pretty good detour to go there. It less impressive than any pictures you see of it.

Is it situated to perfectly align with one of the solstices?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it situated to perfectly align with one of the solstices?

I don't know, I didn't bring a plum bob and a sextant or whatever I would need to accurately figure that out. Wasted opportunity. I always look for longitude and latitude lines when I am at a place like that but I never see them.

I was there before people usually had their own GPS.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want to go back to the Chichen Itza Pyramids.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want to go back to the Chichen Itza Pyramids.

You should check out Tikal in Guatemala. The ruins are amazing but the forest surrounding it is unreal too.

Tikal-Guatemala.jpg

tkal-03.jpg

Copan in Honduras is an amazing site as well. They have a hieroglyphic staircase that is pretty cool (won't let you walk on it). The nearby town there is a good time too.

93974,xcitefun-copan-ruins-honduras-1.jpg

4274843247_12918a0432_o.jpg

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should check out Tikal in Guatemala. The ruins are amazing but the forest surrounding it is unreal too.

Tikal-Guatemala.jpg

tkal-03.jpg

Copan in Honduras is an amazing site as well. They have a hieroglyphic staircase that is pretty cool (won't let you walk on it). The nearby town there is a good time too.

93974,xcitefun-copan-ruins-honduras-1.jpg

4274843247_12918a0432_o.jpg

You know, if you draw a straight line from there to my house in Ohio and continue the line north, it ends in Greenland. So obviously, I am a penguin.

/srsly tho, cool site.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, if you draw a straight line from there to my house in Ohio and continue the line north, it ends in Greenland. So obviously, I am a penguin.

/srsly tho, cool site.

You know, if I leave out of the back gate of my yard and just keep heading north on the same reading, I'll end up at my front door.. give or take a couple of metres? Kind of blows my mind.

My house = answer to all mankind's mysteries.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, if I leave out of the back gate of my yard and just keep heading north on the same reading, I'll end up at my front door.. give or take a couple of metres? Kind of blows my mind.

My house = answer to all mankind's mysteries.
You have one of those mobius houses, dontcha?

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dr. Hook Jr. is in the house

Edit: pic just too damn big

Last edited by a moderator:

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck