• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: The Tennis thread

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
they were debating Milos recently on the team ... do you guys think he ever gets over the hump or is he "too nice" ... seems every loss to a big name brings the same response from him ... kinda like an "awe shucks ... I guess Ill get em next time maybe ... probably ... possibly?"

maybe its a little harsh of a view since he is still young

as mentioned a couple of days ago, that comeback in round one should be huge for his psyche.
I've never seen him turn momentum around and go for the kill like that before (caveat: boxscore analysis). Matches like that would have slipped away with little more than a whimper. example: Cincinatti ATP

this could/should be a turning point for his career.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andy Roddick announcing his retirement later tonight; effective after this year's US Open.

Don't let the door hit you in the Vaj on the way out Andy.

He has always been a whining bitch.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andy Roddick announcing his retirement later tonight; effective after this year's US Open.

Don't let the door hit you in the Vaj on the way out Andy.

He has always been a whining bitch.

:burt:

He's the most entertaining character on tour, and arguably the funniest guy to ever play the game. While I wish that there were more people who truly enjoyed tennis like I do, the reality is there aren't. Tennis needs more Andy Roddicks to market itself.

Anyways, congrats to Roddick. I expected this all year and was actually surprised that he didn't announce it sooner. He seems like he's in a great place, and he is married to Brooklyn Decker. I'm sure he'll have a great retirement.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:burt:

He's the most entertaining character on tour, and arguably the funniest guy to ever play the game. While I wish that there were more people who truly enjoyed tennis like I do, the reality is there aren't. Tennis needs more Andy Roddicks to market itself.

Anyways, congrats to Roddick. I expected this all year and was actually surprised that he didn't announce it sooner. He seems like he's in a great place, and he is married to Brooklyn Decker. I'm sure he'll have a great retirement.

I actually feel a bit bad about my previous post because Roddick has matured a tonne. I just can't get past the way he used to routinely bitch out umps in his early days.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milos wins today in straight sets (tie-breaker in the 3rd set). Attaboy Milos!

Edit: 30 aces and 49 winners today.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually feel a bit bad about my previous post because Roddick has matured a tonne. I just can't get past the way he used to routinely bitch out umps in his early days.

I remember him calling out Coria at the US open one year. He usually says what he thinks & that can get you in trouble.

Funny stat about Roddick. He never won another major after he broke up with Mandy Moore. LOL

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that Brooklyn Decker is a major upgrade from Mandy Moore...

I didn't say she wasn't. I just think it's a funny stat. Here we are 9 years later & he never won another grand slam. I realize beating the big 3 is tough, but at that time the sky was the limit for his career.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say she wasn't. I just think it's a funny stat. Here we are 9 years later & he never won another grand slam. I realize beating the big 3 is tough, but at that time the sky was the limit for his career.

I agree, it's a funny stat. Andy had that great match against Feds in 2009 at Wimbledon (definitely a top 5 match in tennis history) and who knows what may have happened if Roddick would have won that match.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, it's a funny stat. Andy had that great match against Feds in 2009 at Wimbledon (definitely a top 5 match in tennis history) and who knows what may have happened if Roddick would have won that match.

Definately. I think there were two things keeping Roddick from fully reaching his potential.

1.He stopped going for his forehand. This was always my biggest problem with his game after he won the US Open. He should have flattened his forehand out more & played BIG all the time.

2.At one time his brother was coaching him. I don't really understand some of the coaching decisions players make, but I found this strange awhile back.

By the way my pick to win the Open is Andy Murray. Ivan Lendl has his mind in the right place.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milos could face American James Blake in the 3rd round - Blake is relentless on the court and returns serve well, he could give Milos trouble.

Edit: Confirmed - Blake vs. Raonic in round 3

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milos could face American James Blake in the 3rd round - Blake is relentless on the court and returns serve well, he could give Milos trouble.

Edit: Confirmed - Blake vs. Raonic in round 3

Blake isn't anywhere near the player he once was. However, he usually plays his best at the US. Open. The crowd will definately be on Blake's side. Any word on when the match will be played. Night time would be huge for Blake.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milos will have zero trouble with Blake. If Blake breakls his serve once in the match, he had an off day.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milos will have zero trouble with Blake. If Blake breakls his serve once in the match, he had an off day.

The US Open is different from every other Grand Slam tournament. If this match is played at night & Blake gives the crowd reason to believe he can pull of an upset Raonic will have 20,000 fans trying to make his night as MISERABLE as possible.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The US Open is different from every other Grand Slam tournament. If this match is played at night & Blake gives the crowd reason to believe he can pull of an upset Raonic will have 20,000 fans trying to make his night as MISERABLE as possible.

The Blake - Raonic match is coming up in about a half hour. Lopez gave Murray a tough match earlier today.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good call Smart (although the 3rd set did go to a tiebreaker...It's gonna be a tough one for Milos against Andy Murray though.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raonic MUST serve well. We're going to find out what kind of physcial shape Raonic is in. Murray will make him run non stop.

Murray was just on fire tonight, I thought Milos played well, but Murray was just on another level. He just need to get more consistency with his ground strokes and match strategy.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murray was just on fire tonight, I thought Milos played well, but Murray was just on another level. He just need to get more consistency with his ground strokes and match strategy.

We need to remember that Milos is only a sum of his parts. He has the tools to be a top player. He needs to get in shape. Gil Reyes, Agassi's former trainer would do wonders for Milos. I doubt it happens, but some time in Vegas would really help Milos.

Murray is playing the best Tennis of his career.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't fault Milos there, Murray was great. His passing shots were outstanding. Three things I liked that I saw from Milos:

- Playing closer to the baseline (he got up quicker after the first serves, and received the second serves much closer)
- Had some nice baseline rallies, showed me better groundstrokes then I'd seen from him in a while
- Never gave up, kept approaching the net against Murray, just couldn't find a way to beat him

He still needs to be better at adjusting mid match though. The commentators were pointing out that a lot of the time, on Milos' first serve, Murray was just pushing the ball back safely. When your opponent does that, you need to serve and volley a bit to keep him honest.