• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: The Movies Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way I would have tried to start the car after it caught on fire.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Del: When I'm dead and buried, all I'll leave behind are some shower curtain rings that didn't fall down. Some legacy, huh?
Neal: At the very least, the absolute minimum, you'll have a woman you love to grow old with. You love her, don't you?
Del: Love... is not a big enough word. It's not a big enough word for how I feel about my wife.
Del, Neal: [raises drink] To the wives!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It didn't tell us how long the wife and Steve Martin hadn't seen each other. I assume it was longer than it had been before and longer than they anticipate doing it in the future, because she was really sad for two more days. I mean, I miss my wife when she goes back to see her family, and that's for a month at times, but that was dramatic. I could see his drama because of all he went through, but she was at home with her kids. I will be away from my wife and daughter for around 40 something days starting in a month - I'll miss my little girl and daughter :P, but my wife's brother's getting married and she's going back early and I won't go until the wedding.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The movie She's Having a Baby is also on TV in the motel scene, even though the film hadn't been released yet.

At the beginning of the movie, Neal Page (Steve Martin) races a character played by Kevin Bacon for a taxi. Later, Neal phones his wife to tell her that he has been delayed (again), in the background, you can hear the fight from She's Having a Baby (also directed by John Hughes) between Bacon and Elizabeth McGovern, when she screams that she doesn't like his friend's girlfriend.

At the beginning of the movie when Steve Martin (Neal Page) races Kevin Bacon (Taxi racer), is a direct reference to the scene in the movie Quicksilver in which the character played by Bacon is racing someone on a bicycle.

This was Steve Martin's favorite movie of his own.

There are more, some I think you'd like due to your detailed approach to movies. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093748/trivia

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No transportation company wanted to appear inept or deficient in any way, so crews had to rent twenty miles of train track and refurbish old railroad cars, construct a set that looked like an airline terminal, design a rent-a-car company logo and uniforms, and rent 250 cars for the infamous Rent-a-Car sequence.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Neal's house was also a set built from scratch, consisting of seven rooms and taking five months to complete. It ended up costing $100,000, which angered Paramount executives and caused turmoil on the set."

Wow. There was so little from his house, that's just waste. 100,000 is a lot, especially back then - even for a movie. I can't imagine them saying, well, we need a home for Steve Martin, got any place to shoot? Nah, we'll just make another.

They also used an unopened highway from Buffalo to Springville, NY.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of goofs in this movie and a lot of them, remind me of your level of precision.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093748/trivia?tab=gf

Maybe you can help me out with this one:

"After the car drives in between the tractor trailers, Del slams on his brakes, then turns his car around 180 degrees and pulls over. Next to the car is a sign that says, Chicago 102 miles, which means they were driving away from Chicago in the first place."

As I remember it, the reverse of the way they were going was where the sign was pointing. Since they were going the wrong way, the reverse of the way they were going was where the sign was pointing should be Chicago. What's the goof?

Rewatched it. This "goof" is wrong. They had it right. Bah! Some person thinks they were so clever to figure this out, rolling their eyes at the director, and will never know they were the wrong ones. :L I guess it's not the first time people think they're right when they're not on correcting others.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This looks like a modern remake.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No transportation company wanted to appear inept or deficient in any way, so crews had to rent twenty miles of train track and refurbish old railroad cars, construct a set that looked like an airline terminal, design a rent-a-car company logo and uniforms, and rent 250 cars for the infamous Rent-a-Car sequence.

I figured.

It's the same reason why if you play the car racing simulator game Gran Turismo, no matter how much you crash your car, it won't look dinged up. Because the real manufacturers don't want their cars to look bad (nor the parts makers).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured.

It's the same reason why if you play the car racing simulator game Gran Turismo, no matter how much you crash your car, it won't look dinged up. Because the real manufacturers don't want their cars to look bad (nor the parts makers).

Wait, I thought in real life, cars crashing had no consequences. You know, like how shooting people in real life doesn't either - or at least how some anti--video games people try to paint the illusion youngsters get playing violent video games. I get the desensitized to violence angle, but not a blank check for the not knowing the consequences of shooting a gun. They know it kills, it kills the video game guys and they don't come back to life in the same game. They can reset it, but saying that one would believe they could reset life and therefore the video game's fault that they shot, is a blank check for me.

If you asked a kid what happens in a video game after you shoot him, they'll say he gets killed. Ask him if the guy can come back, they'll say no (unless this is Harry Potter). If they can come back from death, ask them why? If they give an answer, ask them if that's available in real life. They'll say no, despite knowing hospitals. But the games may make them feel killing isn't that bad, there are others out there. Etc.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting "Jackie Brown" now.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow there are a lot of big names in this. Sameuel L Jackson, Bridget Fonda, Robert Deniro, Michael Keaton.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow there are a lot of big names in this. Sameuel L Jackson, Bridget Fonda, Robert Deniro, Michael Keaton.

You forgot Jackie Brown, the biggest star. I hear that's how they got the name for the movie.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackie is smoking in an indoor mall in Torrance, CA. Isn't that illegal?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forgot Jackie Brown, the biggest star. I hear that's how they got the name for the movie.

Have you seen the movie?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't personal items, such as purses, scanned via x-ray at airports? Even international airports?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you seen the movie?

Nope. I think I'm having false memories of a movie poster on it. So I feel like I've seen the cover, but probably haven't.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackie is smoking in an indoor mall in Torrance, CA. Isn't that illegal?

Aren't personal items, such as purses, scanned via x-ray at airports? Even international airports?

This movie was over 15 years ago, don't know if those things have changed. Also, I don't know what time frame the movie is supposed to have happened. Sometimes, people will film a movie of the past. But if it were the same time period as the movie's release, 1997 wasn't 1960, so things should be a bit similar to now, just not the same.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This movie was over 15 years ago, don't know if those things have changed. Also, I don't know what time frame the movie is supposed to have happened. Sometimes, people will film a movie of the past. But if it were the same time period as the movie's release, 1997 wasn't 1960, so things should be a bit similar to now, just not the same.

The movie had a flight attendant receive $50, 000 in Cabo San Lucas, and carry it in her purse, arrive in LAX, and make it out of the airport.

Wouldn't the security personnel at the airport in Cabo San Lucas have scanned her purse via x-ray?

(She was working with the police in LAX, but that's not the point, it should have been harder for her to take more than $10, 000 on a plane.)

And, wouldn't someone in customs at LAX have gone through her bag, to make sure she didn't carry that much money?

* She actually had $500, 000, but she told the police it was $50, 000.

Also, this says smoking was banned in public places in CA in the mid 90s:

Smokers Targeted Across the South Bay

Ok, if I'm reading this right, smoking bans varied by cities? And "restricting" smoking doesn't sound like a ban.

Smoking ban - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On 3 April 1987, the City of Beverly Hills, California, initiated an ordinance to restrict smoking in most restaurants, in retail stores and at public meetings. It exempted restaurants in hotels – City Council members reasoned that hotel restaurants catered to large numbers of visitors from abroad, where smoking is more acceptable than in the United States.

In 1990, the city of San Luis Obispo, California, became the first city in the world to restrict indoor smoking in all public places, including bars and restaurants.[35]