• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: The Movies Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that means, in 1990, smoking was "restricted" in all public places in San Luis Obispo, but not other cities in CA?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to read this right now, but it seems like a law was passed in 1994, but not enacted until 1998:

California's New Smoking Ban

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so there was also a statewide ban by CA in 1995, but that was more about workplaces, not all public places. Right?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyways MHSL82, I'd appreciate it if you could help me figure out what year smoking in public places, like a mall, was banned in CA (not just a city here or there). ;)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea what Jackie Brown is about, when is this supposed to have taken place? Was it a contemporary movie?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea what Jackie Brown is about, when is this supposed to have taken place? Was it a contemporary movie?

Yes.

Also, in addition to the smoking questions, what are your thoughts about the feasibility of smuggling more than $10,000 into the US, as of when the movie took place?

Even though Jackie was working with the police, that part is irrelevant as they would only come into play once she had smuggled money in the US.

Should she have been able to make it through an airport in San Cabo Lucas with $500,000 in her purse? They still x-ray personal belongings overseas, right?

And wouldn't customs at LAX have gone through her purse, or put it through another x-ray?

Note: At the beginning of the movie, the police (technically some organization called the "A.F.T") do catch her with $50,000 money, but that's when she's in the airport parking lot. How could she have made it to the parking lot in the first place? It can't be that easy, right?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

Also, in addition to the smoking questions, what are your thoughts about the feasibility of smuggling more than $10,000 into the US, as of when the movie took place?

Even though Jackie was working with the police, that part is irrelevant as they would only come into play once she had smuggled money in the US.

Should she have been able to make it through an airport in San Cabo Lucas with $500,000 in her purse? They still x-ray personal belongings overseas, right?

And wouldn't customs at LAX have gone through her purse, or put it through another x-ray?

Note: At the beginning of the movie, the police (technically some organization called the "A.F.T") do catch her with $50,000 money, but that's when she's in the airport parking lot. How could she have made it to the parking lot in the first place? It can't be that easy, right?

When I'm in an airport or a store, I sometimes wonder if they would notice. I never do it because it's wrong and I believe that I'd get caught at least 1 out of every 10 times and that 1 time could get me in trouble with parents, school, or Bar - depending on the part of life I was in. I never have stolen anything; I even don't like to take from the "take a penny, leave a penny" thing. But I do wonder the chances of getting caught.

So, as to the movie, I'm sure it was unrealistic for her to go through without it being X-Rayed. I don't know the limitations of cash you can take without being questioned, but I'd guess it's less than 50,000 because customs going in and out of the country asks you to estimate what you've taken out of the country you left. 20,000 I think is the limit before they ask you to see them. I've never gotten close.

But in movies, I just assume something went wrong in the system and no one caught them and then my mind moves on. I notice things like you do, when some people don't, but I don't have the curiosity why beyond the time I'm watching the film. I'll remember it in case it's a clue on something later.

I found this. Haven't reviewed it all word for word, but the title and format looks good. 2007 is the earliest mention of the word "mall." But sometimes it has referred to public places, generally - like enclosed places. Note: public often means governmental. A MACYS, despite being open to the public, is private in that sense. But sometimes, things like discrimination limitations are applied to private individuals when it so affects the public such that it's a governmental interest to prevent. Smoking, could be, due to the health costs to taxpayers and well-being of the citizens, but I doubt that it applies as a public place, though.

Specific mention of things outside of governmental property has to be mentioned, and this Wikipedia is a summary, not the law itself. It specifically says it in 1995, referring to enclosed workplaces, like restaurants, etc. Malls may or may not be enclosed, and they do allow exceptions for certain places. Later it does mention malls and the like, so that suggests that the earlier legislation was not including malls - or that Wikipedia simply didn't include the words to that effect (unless malls are enclosed workplaces). It does exclude some places but it focuses on number of consenting employees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smoking_bans_in_the_United_States

El Cajon, August 14, 2007, banned on city streets, in outdoor patios in restaurants, and outside of the local shopping mall. Anyone caught smoking in public areas will faces a fine of up to $500. The city previously outlawed smoking in parks, and also requires businesses that sell tobacco products to obtain a city license.

Pasadena, October 27, 2008, banned smoking in certain outdoor areas, including shopping malls, unenclosed areas of bars and restaurants, service waiting lines (e.g. ATMs, bus stops, etc.) and within 20 feet (6.1 m) from them, and within 20 feet (6.1 m) of doorways, windows, or ventilation areas of enclosed places where smoking is banned.[

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, as to the movie, I'm sure it was unrealistic for her to go through without it being X-Rayed. I don't know the limitations of cash you can take without being questioned, but I'd guess it's less than 50,000 because customs going in and out of the country asks you to estimate what you've taken out of the country you left. 20,000 I think is the limit before they ask you to see them. I've never gotten close.

The limit is actually $10,000. That's why I mentioned it.

$10,000 was mentioned in the movie.

Also, here's this, from the customs government site. If you carry more than $10,000, you have to file a report.

I'm assuming Jackie didn't file a report with customs. Because if she said, let's say $50,000 (while really having $500,000), they'd want to verify the total.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...-amount-that-can-be-brought-into-or-leave-the

There is no limit on the amount of money that can be taken out of or brought into the United States. However, if a person or persons traveling together and filing a joint declaration (CBP Form 6059-B) have $10,000 or more in currency or negotiable monetary instruments, they must fill out a "Report of International Transportation of Currency and Monetary Instruments" FinCEN 105 (former CF 4790).

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found this. Haven't reviewed it all word for word, but the title and format looks good. 2007 is the earliest mention of the word "mall." But sometimes it has referred to public places, generally - like enclosed places. Note: public often means governmental. A MACYS, despite being open to the public, is private in that sense. But sometimes, things like discrimination limitations are applied to private individuals when it so affects the public such that it's a governmental interest to prevent. Smoking, could be, due to the health costs to taxpayers and well-being of the citizens, but I doubt that it applies as a public place, though. [

I didn't know that. Thanks.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The limit is actually $10,000. That's why I mentioned it.

$10,000 was mentioned in the movie.

Also, here's this, from the customs government site. If you carry more than $10,000, you have to file a report.

I'm assuming Jackie didn't file a report with customs. Because if she said, let's say $50,000 (while really having $500,000), they'd want to verify the total.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...-amount-that-can-be-brought-into-or-leave-the

Ahh, 10 not 20 thousand, ok. Thanks for the clarification on the movie's details, too. I feel like I have something revealed every time I respond. That's what I get when I haven't seen it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know that. Thanks.

But you have to also note the "often" - it's not in all contexts. If it's in a report or article, I'd use common sense on it. If it's in the bill's actual legislative words, it may have the above distinction, or it may be defined in the law's body.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But in movies, I just assume something went wrong in the system and no one caught them and then my mind moves on. I notice things like you do, when some people don't, but I don't have the curiosity why beyond the time I'm watching the film. I'll remember it in case it's a clue on something later.

I also brought this up, because this movie was detailed. They had a very detailed plan on:

A. How the cops (aka A.F.T.) were going to use Jackie to trace the money to Ordell (another character).

B. And how Jackie was going to trick the cops and still get away with the money.

Jackie was working for the cops, on a deal, but she still had a plan on how to take the money, despite being under known surveillance from the cops.

Because these plans were so detailed, it felt like the writers/directors weren't taking short cuts. So I wouldn't expect a big plot hole, such as how she brought the money past customs / LAX airport in the first place.

I've only traveled through Customs by myself once. (The other times were with parents, so I wouldn't have been paying attention). I remember they asked me what I had. (I was carrying stuff my mom wanted me to carry, as I was leaving back to the US first). I don't remember if my carry-on passed through an x-ray. I think they asked me what I had, and might have done a quick manual inspection. (But I'm not sure). Actually, I think I just told them what I had, and for whatever reason they weren't suspicious, so they let me pass.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think you'll watch the movie?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, one main character was an ATF agent, and the other was a LAPD. So when I said "cops" as a general term, I was 1/2 right.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not exactly sure what this thread is, but since its a Jazz board...anyone ever seen this little gem? I believe it was filmed in SLC. Rubin and Ed.

http://youtu.be/c7fTubvO84Q

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll watch the movie "From Dusk Til Dawn" tonight.