• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT Stars Hockey

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There aren't really any highly-available impact players at this year's deadline, mainly because only 5 or 6 teams are really eliminated at this point. There is conflicting word out of Vancouver on whether they are shopping Kesler or not. If he is truly available, then he would be #1 on every team's wish list. The only knock against him is injury-related. Martin St. Louis was rumored on his way out of TB, but that rumor has been somewhat squashed. I really wanted the Stars to go after Dan Girardi when it was hinted he was available, but the Rangers just locked him up with an extension. Ryan Callahan is available, but he is a tad overrated in terms of what it would cost to get him. Lesser forwards like Mike Cammalleri and Martin Erat can be had if Dallas wants to add some top-6 scoring depth.

As for defensive help, Ehrhoff is the name most commonly thrown about. He's a reliable defenseman with a solid shot. He's durable and has a good all-around game. But the catch with him is that he is grossly overpaid. He cashed in on a career year and reaped the benefits of Pegula's spending spree that offseason when guys like Ville Leino and Ehrhoff were lured to Buffalo with mega deals. He would still help the Stars' D though. Another guy I'd like them to pry loose is Alexander Edler from Vancouver- very solid defenseman who it has been suggested can be had for the right price.

The word from GM Nill though is that he likes his current team. I guess we'll see.

I don't know if I like Erat very much, but maybe that's because I got to see him play live and wasn't impressed at all with his skating ability and overall laziness on the ice. I will say, I've always really liked Callahan. I don't really know how much theyre asking for him, but as much as I do like him, I still don't want him. He reminds me of a better and younger erik cole. Just a grinder. A guy that liked to get in front of nets and is willing to take checks and always finishes checks and so on. He's probably the best grinder on the market, while cole is probably 4th or 5th. I'd be fine with getting Ehrhoff, but I still really want us to get a 2nd line center from somewhere. I don't think we need defense. We're getting our best defensemen back in 2 and a half weeks, and our D is playing so much better lately. Kesler would be nice, Kadri would be better, but it would be costly. IMO, we have enough D in our farm to make it happen if we really wanted to, and Nill has shown that he likes to make huge splashes, so I guess we'll see.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely no reason to do any trades unless you're blown away. This team is playing well and remember that unlike the previous decade almost, the future of this team is bright and currently ON THIS ROSTER. If you are sellers when you're within striking distance of the playoffs, I don't think that sits well with the young players.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading players like Whitney or Peverly isn't making a huge impact on the team at all. We aren't losing much by trading players like this, and its likely gonna happen. If a big name like kadri falls to us, we definitely won't break the fabric core of the team either. We'd trade a 1st round pick, another pick and a prospect or two in the minors.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading players like Whitney or Peverly isn't making a huge impact on the team at all. We aren't losing much by trading players like this, and its likely gonna happen. If a big name like kadri falls to us, we definitely won't break the fabric core of the team either. We'd trade a 1st round pick, another pick and a prospect or two in the minors.

How do we know? Not everything can be about stats on paper. Unless they're blown away there's no reason to trade them because they won't get a whole lot for them. To gain something you have to give up something and Kadri will require a lot. Whitney provides a leadership and the veteran aspect. Peverley does the same as he can play wing and center. His numbers are not great but he's an asset. I highly doubt they get anything of substance for them and remember this team is playing good hockey. Just because contracts are expiring it doesn't mean you have to get rid of them.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do we know? Not everything can be about stats on paper. Unless they're blown away there's no reason to trade them because they won't get a whole lot for them. To gain something you have to give up something and Kadri will require a lot. Whitney provides a leadership and the veteran aspect. Peverley does the same as he can play wing and center. His numbers are not great but he's an asset. I highly doubt they get anything of substance for them and remember this team is playing good hockey. Just because contracts are expiring it doesn't mean you have to get rid of them.

I agree with most of this premise, but as many players have said before, sometimes adding a key piece for the playoffs is viewed as a reward for all of the hard work the team put in (as opposed to being seen as a necessary team chemistry disruption). So if they could add a long-term asset (NO rentals) at the price of picks+prospects, it shouldn't mess with the current chemistry or morale.

I agree though that the core should be left alone. The Stars aren't going to be able to lose enough between now and the end of the regular season to get a great draft pick. Plus it's a very weak upcoming draft class anyway. I think at this point even finishing 8th and getting swept by Chicago or St Louis would better suit the franchise than selling off a bunch of the Whitney types who wouldn't fetch more than a 3rd round pick or C-level prospect anyway.

They need a 2nd line center and a defenseman capable of playing top pair minutes in order to contend. And by contend I don't mean win the whole thing but at least win some playoff games or even series.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good lord Chiasson. Put the damn thing away. I guess he wasn't the only one, but he should've had at least 1.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I'm not looking at stats. I've been watching it for many many years. I'm not saying they're bad players, but they aren't the right players under ruff's system. They are very expendable. They are good in house, but don't forget that once Robidas comes back we'll have that veteran presence right back... and our captain is 25. I mean at this point, neither of them would be missed. We could bring up a young guy and give him some NHL looks. All Peverley does is win faceoffs, he doesn't really provide anything else. You don't really have to look at the scorecard to see that whitney(even though I will say I thought he played well today) and peverley are struggling.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I'm not looking at stats. I've been watching it for many many years. I'm not saying they're bad players, but they aren't the right players under ruff's system. They are very expendable. They are good in house, but don't forget that once Robidas comes back we'll have that veteran presence right back... and our captain is 25. I mean at this point, neither of them would be missed. We could bring up a young guy and give him some NHL looks. All Peverley does is win faceoffs, he doesn't really provide anything else. You don't really have to look at the scorecard to see that whitney(even though I will say I thought he played well today) and peverley are struggling.

Saying that "all he does is win faceoffs" is like saying "all he does is score goals". Faceoffs are a HUGE part of the game, especially in determining the outcome. Having a faceoff wizard on your team is invaluable, especially in the playoffs. Peverley is a better player than you give him credit for. I would agree though that Whitney is expendable.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robi to the Ducks for 4th round pick. Could be 3rd round if the Ducks win 2 playoff series. Wow like we've been saying all along that they had to be blown away to make significant trade and in this case I thought they were blown away. Amazing they got anything for him considering he's recovering from broken leg, UFA, and 37 years old. I will greatly miss Robi tho.

The Commish

Texas Rangers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was looking forward to Robidas' return, but, I suppose this is good news.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually was thinking robi was worth a little more. Instead of 4th maybe a 3rd, i was thinking 3rd maybe a 2nd. Wish we could've traded him somewhere to the east. I love robidas. When I saw the news I was pretty upset, just because I like him so much. He competes as hard as anyone on the team, and he was the leader of our defense. We showed how much we missed him. Its a shame, but hopefully we're not done. That can't be the only move we make

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually was thinking robi was worth a little more. Instead of 4th maybe a 3rd, i was thinking 3rd maybe a 2nd. Wish we could've traded him somewhere to the east. I love robidas. When I saw the news I was pretty upset, just because I like him so much. He competes as hard as anyone on the team, and he was the leader of our defense. We showed how much we missed him. Its a shame, but hopefully we're not done. That can't be the only move we make

It's a conditional 4th round pick. If Robidas plays in at least 50% of the Ducks' playoff games and the Ducks make it to the Western Conference Finals, then the pick becomes a 3rd rounder.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad to see Robidas go, and I hope he gets a chance at the Cup......unless we see him in the 1st round.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad to see Robidas go, and I hope he gets a chance at the Cup......unless we see him in the 1st round.

I actually hope we do see Anaheim in the first round. That's actually a series the Stars could possibly win. It blows my mind that the Ducks have the most points in the entire NHL. Chicago and St. Louis are flat-out better teams than Anaheim. If the Stars draw the Hawks or Blues, it's curtains. But to this day the Ducks don't give them big problems like other teams do.

The Commish

Texas Rangers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stars apparently get Martin St. Louis for Callahan and draft pick(s).

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nevermind. I'm an idiot.

I can see how you got confused. (Rangers/Stars/etc). I do it occasionally.

I always hate seeing "Rangers acquire..." or "Rangers trade..." only for it to be the NY Rangers.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ottawa got Ales Hemsky for a 3rd and a 5th, nothing more. For that bargain price, I kinda wish the Stars had made an offer. He's a winger (not the center we need), but he's a talented top-6 forward nonetheless.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the trade deadline was pretty quiet for the Stars. But they did massively upgrade their backup goalie spot. Tim Thomas is more than capable of leading them to victory (unlike Ellis) when Kari needs rest or is injured.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To say I'm surprised that Whitney wasn't traded would be an understatement. I didn't think we were gonna bring in someone like Gaborik or something, but I would have liked to reel in a 4th round pick or something for Whitney. I just don't think he brings that much to the table. Oh well I guess. At least we get a backup goalie who would start on a bunch of teams. Ellis struggled very badly yesterday. Some of the goals he allowed were atrocious. They attacked his glove hand side like crazy. Maybe a change in scenery will help