• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT Stars Hockey

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think they played their best today, but they still pulled off a win. Got a tough one tomorrow. Despite our position in the standings, I'd still like to see Gonchar, Whitney, and either Peverley or Fiddler gone. I don't think their presences on the team have that big of an impact and we're not winning a cup this year or getting close.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think they played their best today, but they still pulled off a win. Got a tough one tomorrow. Despite our position in the standings, I'd still like to see Gonchar, Whitney, and either Peverley or Fiddler gone. I don't think their presences on the team have that big of an impact and we're not winning a cup this year or getting close.

:agree:

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Guys like Gonchar, Fiddler, Cole, Whitney, and Peverley are more like the final missing piece of depth a true contender needs as opposed to a massive difference-maker for a bubble team like the Stars. The only way the Stars could get anywhere near the Cup this year would be for Kari to go on an absolute freakish tear, a second line begins to score consistently, and the defense to step up their play. It's just too much to ask.

I'm not in favor of trading all of them because I think at this point the Stars would do better to go ahead and try to qualify for the playoffs as opposed to tank for a better draft pick. They're closer to being a Wild Card than they are to getting a top pick. Get the young kids a taste of the playoffs even if it means getting swept in round 1.

Gonchar is going to be tough to trade because he's under an expensive contract for one more season after this one. But I think Whitney, Daley, and Fiddler are the 3 likeliest to go. The two forwards are on favorable contracts and Daley (who is overpaid) is seen by most teams as a guy with decent years still left in him.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to be very involved this deadline and make 4, yes I said 4, deals. Make 3 deals involving fiddler, whitney, and either Gonchar, peverly, or cole. That's 3, and even though its not profile names, you get an assortment of prospects/conditional picks. Then you need to trade some of these picks along with an NHL ready player for Kadri. I'm sure thy are considering all this, but that is like the dream deadline for me.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to be very involved this deadline and make 4, yes I said 4, deals. Make 3 deals involving fiddler, whitney, and either Gonchar, peverly, or cole. That's 3, and even though its not profile names, you get an assortment of prospects/conditional picks. Then you need to trade some of these picks along with an NHL ready player for Kadri. I'm sure thy are considering all this, but that is like the dream deadline for me.

The Leafs want a blue chip prospect of equal value in any deal for Kadri. The Stars won't acquire any player that talented in a deal for guys like Fiddler, Whitney, Gonchar, etc.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
US ladies are about to take on the Finnish ladies for some hockey. Olympic hockey is fun to me regardless of gender.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nichushkin with a goal also. The announcers said "this 18 year old kid is going to be a star in the NHL. He has all the tools. Size, speed, and power.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kari gettin the start in net today for the fins

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great game today. All the big names showed up, and Roussel was just freakin dying to get back on the ice and drop the gloves lol. Good show

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tilted ice: How certain National Hockey League Teams are Manipulating the League’s Point System

Tilted ice: How certain National Hockey League Teams are Manipulating the League?s Point System | MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

For each regular season contest, the National Hockey League rewards its participants a higher share of points when the game reaches overtime (three points) than when it doesn’t (two). Combined with the league’s standards for playoff qualification, such a point system incentivizes teams to play overtime more often when facing opposition from another conference, where conceding a point does not hurt either team’s playoff position. We use generalized linear models to find (i) a significantly higher fraction of nonconference overtime games, when compared to conference ones, and (ii) a subset of teams which have most often modified their on-ice behavior, as shown through more nonconference overtime games and lower scoring rates in the third period of tied contests. The varying overtime frequencies and passive on-ice behavior appear to be unintended consequences of the league’s policies, which, under the league’s 2013 realignment, will encourage even grosser manipulation.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read an interesting article that the Stars would and should be interested in Ryan Kesler. I really have always liked kesler, but I can't imagine this is true at all. It will undoubtedly cost a first round pick either this year or next, and one of our top prospects (which I guess we have so much defense down there that it wouldn't affect us THAT much). He's 29 and he's signed through the 15-16 season. He perfectly fits the mold of that 2nd line center that we're currently asking eakin to be, which he just can't right now. Perhaps later in his career, but right now he can't shoulder it. I'd obviously rather get kadri just because he's younger and I love that our team is so young that there just waiting for their year to make a splash, but I mean Ryan freakin Kesler. It's interesting to wonder if its worth it. I think, personally, I'd only want kesler if he's willing to sign a 2-3 year extension with us. Our window to win may just start in his contract year, and I want to make sure that we're not putting so much pressure to win in that year just because he's walking after its over. I want him for the years after that too. The Penguins have been the favorite to get kesler so far, which is complete bullshit because how do they still have anything to give up year after year with all the stupid talent they have?

Deadlines on Thursday. I can't imagine we make a splash, but I didn't think we'd get Seguin either. I'm pretty sure Whitney is gonzo. We're reportedly also very in on Christian Ehrhoff, the defensemen from Buffalo. Only fitting that we're playing buffalo tonight, so watch the game tonight and see what you think of him. I've looked him up, and he's sort of a much lesser version of PK Subban in that he's a grinder who is very offensive. He likes to score goals and rack up points, but he's a fluid enough skater to get back on defense in no time. He's almost certainly a guy you want out there on the powerplay, and his shot is reminiscent of Dillon's slapshot. Anyway, I'm gonna watch him play tonight and make my thoughts about him later.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There aren't really any highly-available impact players at this year's deadline, mainly because only 5 or 6 teams are really eliminated at this point. There is conflicting word out of Vancouver on whether they are shopping Kesler or not. If he is truly available, then he would be #1 on every team's wish list. The only knock against him is injury-related. Martin St. Louis was rumored on his way out of TB, but that rumor has been somewhat squashed. I really wanted the Stars to go after Dan Girardi when it was hinted he was available, but the Rangers just locked him up with an extension. Ryan Callahan is available, but he is a tad overrated in terms of what it would cost to get him. Lesser forwards like Mike Cammalleri and Martin Erat can be had if Dallas wants to add some top-6 scoring depth.

As for defensive help, Ehrhoff is the name most commonly thrown about. He's a reliable defenseman with a solid shot. He's durable and has a good all-around game. But the catch with him is that he is grossly overpaid. He cashed in on a career year and reaped the benefits of Pegula's spending spree that offseason when guys like Ville Leino and Ehrhoff were lured to Buffalo with mega deals. He would still help the Stars' D though. Another guy I'd like them to pry loose is Alexander Edler from Vancouver- very solid defenseman who it has been suggested can be had for the right price.

The word from GM Nill though is that he likes his current team. I guess we'll see.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh dang, I thought it was the 6th. Hopefully this game tonight reveals moves we should make. I'm excited to watch ehrhoff tonight. There's no excuse to lose. Buffalo just lost ryan miller AND their captain in otter. They have no one left. We should win easily AND we should get a good idea at the type of impact ehrhoff makes