• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Sapp in The HoF?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Which pure DT's do you take over Sapp? I can't imagine it being a huge list,.

Since the '90's: BY, Richard Seymour, Cortez Kennedy, Casey Hampton. That's about it. I'd take Sapp over Kevin Williams.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take sapp over Seymour. Seymour was good but sapp was better.

Also Seymour wasn't a pure DT.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I take sapp over Seymour. Seymour was good but sapp was better.

Also Seymour wasn't a pure DT.

Seymour was a pure DT on 4-3 defenses. Oakland used him differently because of lack of DL talent, but he was still a pure DT (despite the Pats having run a 3-4 most of the time). He was extremely versatile, but if I needed a DT back in 2001 he would've been the first guy I took (and I was extremely pissed when the Pats took him 1 pick ahead of the Niners). Sapp was a better pass-rusher, but Seymour was 5 times better against the run IMO.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Kris Jenkins would have made my list, but he was always hurt. Losing him may have cost the Jets a SB too IMO.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the '90's: BY, Richard Seymour, Cortez Kennedy, Casey Hampton. That's about it. I'd take Sapp over Kevin Williams.

I'm honestly not sure on BY. As far as playing football goes, they are my two favorite DT from that era. Sapp can have an annoying personality, but no one is going to tell me he wasn't a disruptive player on an elite level. At the very least he was as constantly disruptive as anyone who has ever played the position. If I was a linemen, the night before playing him would stress me out more than anyone.

I'd take him over Seymour. Maybe I underestimate him, but I honestly haven't given him much consideration as a hall of fame level player. His career hasn't stood out to me on that level. He played with some good Patriots teams and won, but I don't value superbowls for hall of fame as much as most people seem to. He is a good run stopper, no major weakness, but he didn't scare me anywhere near as much as the other guys.

I guess I could understand why you would take the others over Sapp though, it's not to crazy to name any of them. If you are building a 3-4 someone like Hampton makes perfect sense, but for the role Sapp played every weekend, I have a hard time putting too many above him.

I don't know if I'd put him first ballot, but his spot in the hall has no level of controversy to me.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryant Young:
14 Years
208 Games
504 Tackles
89.5 Sacks
3 Safeties
11 Forced Fumbles
6 Fumbles Recovered
29 Passes Deflected
0 Interceptions
0 Defensive TD

Warren Sapp:
13 Years
198 Games
434 Tackles
96.5 Sacks
0 Safeties
19 Forced Fumbles
12 Fumbles Recovered
29 Passes Deflected
4 Interceptions
1 Defensive TD

I'M JUS' SAY'N, DOE!

And BY had the big injury as well. Came back from that and still dominated.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In addition to the injury BY was also shifted to a 3-4 at the end of his career. He should get in eventually, but I have no problem with Sapp getting in ahead of him. Both legit HOF players and one wasn't clearly better than the other.

It's surprising to me that Haley and Greene aren't in there yet.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seymour was a pure DT on 4-3 defenses. Oakland used him differently because of lack of DL talent, but he was still a pure DT (despite the Pats having run a 3-4 most of the time). He was extremely versatile, but if I needed a DT back in 2001 he would've been the first guy I took (and I was extremely pissed when the Pats took him 1 pick ahead of the Niners). Sapp was a better pass-rusher, but Seymour was 5 times better against the run IMO.

The bulk of his career was at DE. I'm not sure how you can call him a pure DT.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The bulk of his career was at DE. I'm not sure how you can call him a pure DT.

When he did play DT I think his game was better & more complete overall than Sapp's. Sapp was a guy who needed a dominant run-stopper to play next to him in order to not be a liability.

If you could clone them both, I'd take 2 Seymours over 2 Sapps.