• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Sapp in The HoF?

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone clear up for me why wasn't Simeon Rice eligible? His final season was 2007.

He still has to be selected to the preliminary list.

Any fan may nominate any player, coach or contributor who has been connected with pro football simply by writing to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The only restriction is that a player and coach must have been retired at least five years before he can be considered. There is no mandatory retirement period for a contributor before he may be considered. Every nomination of an eligible candidate received will be processed and forwarded to the Hall of Fame’s Selection Committee.

Each year, the Selection Committee will be polled three times before the Final List of Preliminary Nominees is determined. The Initial Preliminary List of nominations is compiled and sent to the Hall of Fame’s Selection Committee by March 1. The list is provided so that the selectors can study the nominees and then request the addition of any other candidates that may have been overlooked. Included on this list are first-time eligible candidates who have strong enough credentials to give them even a remote chance of eventual Hall of Fame election. Also included are all other eligible candidates nominated by any person. Additionally, those modern-era nominees from the previous year’s final preliminary list who received at least four votes in the balloting to determine the modern-era finalists are automatically included on this preliminary list.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that my opinion matters much but I had Rice and Strahan over Sapp for the HOF this year.
That's why I asked because so did I...

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Simeon Rice over Sapp is ridiculous. I'm okay with the idea of Strahan, though I don't know that I agree with it, but Rice? No way.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simeon Rice over Sapp is ridiculous
Why is that? Rice was every bit as dominating in his career as Sapp was if not more so, to say it's ridiculous is ridiculous. Sapp just had a personality that was well known and the love Madden had for him brought him into the spotlight more...

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is that? Rice was every bit as dominating in his career as Sapp was if not more so, to say it's ridiculous is ridiculous. Sapp just had a personality that was well known and the love Madden had for him brought him into the spotlight more...
Any HOF potential who is a commenter for NFL Network no matter how much of a douche he is gets in the HOF over others. Thank the reporters who vote.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Rice was not as dominating as Sapp. He wasn't close. That's why it's ridiculous to say Rice over Sapp.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rice was not as dominating as Sapp. He wasn't close. That's why it's ridiculous to say Rice over Sapp.
In your opinion he wasn't close, gonna have to disagree...

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure Sapp was a first ballot guy, but yeah, I think he deserved to get in there. Fuck Michael Irvin though.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simeon Rice over Sapp is ridiculous. I'm okay with the idea of Strahan, though I don't know that I agree with it, but Rice? No way.

Strahan was definitely more deserving than Sapp. I think Sapp is borderline but certainly not first ballot.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because he's a POS doesn't mean he wasn't a good player. I don't know if he is first ballot but he was good enough to get in eventually.

Sapp was a good player, a very good player, but the HoF is not for very good players. Its for the best of the best like Reggie White. This mandate that someone needs to be elected every year cheapens it significantly.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. Simeon Rice is a huge stretch

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In defense of Sapp...

It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Statistics...

Sapp was a polarizing figure for a long time in the league...

I don't have a problem with Sapp getting in, and this isn't baseball where you have to wait 10 years to get in. First ballot talk doesn't apply to the NFL...

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Going by the credentials, you can usually look at Pro Bowls, All-Pro appearances and SB rings as a guide to who gets in. By those standards, Sapp is pretty safely in.

But there is always the looming issue of who gets more hype than they deserve (both while playing and in retrospect), who is a media darling, whether subjective considerations like All-Pro voting should carry so much weight. It seems pretty clear that guys that go into the media after their careers keep themselves visible and improve their chances. I'm not totally sure Sapp deserved to be on TWO all-decade teams - such a distinction basically puts you into the HOF, but did he get those honors because he was such a visible loudmouth? He's a tough HOF question, fairly borderline player with lots of awards and fame that put him well over the top.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In defense of Sapp...

It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Statistics...
Yeah, and Sapp is kinda the Bo Jackson of DTs. Everytime a big name DT comes up in the draft, people say he could be the next Warren Sapp. Sapp is the standard for athletic freaks on the interior of the Dline. The fact that he is a top 2 player on an iconic Super Bowl defense probably pushes him over 'borderline' 1st ballot to no-brainer first ballot.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryant Young:
14 Years
208 Games
504 Tackles
89.5 Sacks
3 Safeties
11 Forced Fumbles
6 Fumbles Recovered
29 Passes Deflected
0 Interceptions
0 Defensive TD

Warren Sapp:
13 Years
198 Games
434 Tackles
96.5 Sacks
0 Safeties
19 Forced Fumbles
12 Fumbles Recovered
29 Passes Deflected
4 Interceptions
1 Defensive TD

I'M JUS' SAY'N, DOE!

Last edited by a moderator:

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sapp was a good player, a very good player, but the HoF is not for very good players. Its for the best of the best like Reggie White. This mandate that someone needs to be elected every year cheapens it significantly.

Which pure DT's do you take over Sapp? I can't imagine it being a huge list,.