• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Sapp in The HoF?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Warren Sapp disguised as Aeneas Williams and playing for the Cardinals in 99?

I would take Bryant Young over Warren Sapp. Maybe that's because I'm a Niner fan, but it's probably because Young was a better player and better teammate.

Sapp was very much a product of the Bucs scheme. How did things work out for him in Oakland?

He was aging and it was last 4 years of his career and he still had 10 sacks one season.

Bottomline: Sapp is worthy of the HOF. Don't know why this is even in question.
First-ballot is a great honor. But HOF is HOF.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's take another example here. Would Chris Carter be on everyone's first ballot HOF list? I guess it comes down to how many players are eligible that year and who the voters think is a better player. For instance Charles Haley has 5 SB rings. If numbers don't matter then how come he isn't in the HOF?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Hall of Fame is prestigious as it is but it's even more prestigious for a player to get in with the 1st ballot.

To get in with your 1st ballot means there is no debate and you were clearly deserving to be in the HOF.

Bullshit. It might just mean that the class was weak. This isn't MLB where they can have years with no one elected. There has to be at least 4 people elected each year. If you're in a weak class on your first ballot, you're more likely to go in.

On the other hand, there is a max of 6 people elected in a given year. We came very close to having a ballot with Jerry Rice, Deion Sanders, Brett Favre, Marshall Faulk, Jerome Bettis and Curtis Martin all on it. Those guys would have filled every spot that year.

To get in with no debate would be to be a unanimous selection, not a first ballot guy.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Let's take another example here. Would Chris Carter be on everyone's first ballot HOF list? I guess it comes down to how many players are eligible that year and who the voters think is a better player. For instance Charles Haley has 5 SB rings. If numbers don't matter then how come he isn't in the HOF?

The bold is exactly the point. If Cris Carter is eligible against Rice, Emmit Smith, Barry Sanders, Reggie White, Bruce Smith and Deion Sanders for his first shot, and knowing a maximum of 6 people can go in each year, he isn't a first ballot guy. Each of those guys are more deserving.

I don't know who said numbers don't matter, they must (otherwise how do you elect OL?), but they aren't the only thing.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He was aging and it was last 4 years of his career and he still had 10 sacks one season.

Bottomline: Sapp is worthy of the HOF. Don't know why this is even in question.
First-ballot is a great honor. But HOF is HOF.

So sacks are all that matter? It's pretty established that Sapp focused on pass rushing at the expense of run defense.

Also, I haven't said he doesn't belong. He does. But please don't try to argue his numbers weren't a product of TB's system.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know how true this is but there has been speculation by people in the media that Cris Carter and Charles Haley have been passed over so many times because they were and maybe still are assholes.

Ibangedlolojones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Sapp got in first ballot is an absolute fucking Joke .....Lets all be honest !

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Cris Carter should have been 1st ballot, maybe i'm a homer because he spent his good years with the Vikings but he had the best hands i've ever seen. He does seem like an arrogant prick but he was as good a receiver as there was in the 90's not named Rice. The fact Irvin got in on his 3rd try and CC had to wait until his 6th is a joke IMO.

I agree Haley should be in, he had a few very good seasons and if Lynn Swann is in because of the teams he played on then Haley should get in just because of those 5 rings, at least Haley has numbers deserving of the hall Swann obviously did not.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So sacks are all that matter? It's pretty established that Sapp focused on pass rushing at the expense of run defense.

Also, I haven't said he doesn't belong. He does. But please don't try to argue his numbers weren't a product of TB's system.

So what if it was part of the system, he played with them virtually his whole career. Like said before he was force even when double-team, which created other players to make an impact. He was a leader on the field and the locker room. At times he was an unstoppable force. Sqcks isn't the only thing but 2nd all-time among DT's is alright.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how true this is but there has been speculation by people in the media that Cris Carter and Charles Haley have been passed over so many times because they were and maybe still are assholes.

True! Well chalk up one asshole in the HOF. Haley is expected to get in next year due to not many first timers.
A good article about Haley and his issues back in the day:Inside the 49ers | The case for Charles Haley | The Press Democrat, Santa Rosa, CA

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone clear up for me why wasn't Simeon Rice eligible? His final season was 2007.