• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Name some things that drive you fucking nuts

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bangHeadAgainstWall.gif

I do enjoy a good 43's in-laws story. :)

Hope your weekend has gotten better.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do enjoy a good 43's in-laws story. :)

Hope your weekend has gotten better.

Once my family started to arrive, and we got into the whole graduation thing, it got much better.

However, I have since discovered that someone put the bacon grease from brunch yesterday in a nice sturdy glass container. A vase. Fortunately it was one that was not being used for flowers at the time. And it is a plain square glass thing, so I guess it looked almost like an old jar.

Mrs 43 *has* to have been adopted.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether this is a failed attempt at satire (poor writing), a genuine and fundamental misunderstanding of some of the most very basic principles of physics (unacceptable miseducation), or an outright and intentional lie to mislead people (a disturbing lack of journalistic integrity), this drives me nuts.

Solar Panels Drain the Sun's Energy, Experts Say | National Report

It has been debunked, thank God, but there are people who will see this, will take it serious, and will use it to support continued dependence on big oil and further stagnation of sustainable energy research.

:burt:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things with my in-laws are a double-edge sword.

My wife and I are both transplants from Buffalo and met while we still lived there. We moved to Charlotte together. But instead of having to deal with the in-laws visiting, they moved to Charlotte about a year after we did. Now they live only 30 minutes away.

Which, on the one hand, is good, since they don't ever need to stay with us.

But, on the other hand, is bad, since we get the 2PM calls asking "did you want to meet for lunch" (yes, even though it's 2PM and all normal people have eaten lunch by then) and an angry M-I-L when we say no.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things with my in-laws are a double-edge sword.

My wife and I are both transplants from Buffalo and met while we still lived there. We moved to Charlotte together. But instead of having to deal with the in-laws visiting, they moved to Charlotte about a year after we did. Now they live only 30 minutes away.

Which, on the one hand, is good, since they don't ever need to stay with us.

But, on the other hand, is bad, since we get the 2PM calls asking "did you want to meet for lunch" (yes, even though it's 2PM and all normal people have eaten lunch by then) and an angry M-I-L when we say no.

120.gif

J/K, I know that will never happen. Columbus is too snooty for good down to earth folk like them what with our street sweepers and parks and all them whatdyacallem... friendly people who, like, talk to you and stuff.

Plus we have black people. If they move anywhere, there won't be black people. At least not ones that talk to you.

Also heard from my younger brother in law, who got the privilege of driving them home, that pops still doesn't understand why I won't learn a "trade" in case this "computer thing doesn't work out".

I have been in IT for 16 years. :laugh3:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also heard from my younger brother in law, who got the privilege of driving them home, that pops still doesn't understand why I won't learn a "trade" in case this "computer thing doesn't work out".

I have been in IT for 16 years. :laugh3:

lol - A former colleague of mine warned me about that German application software saying it was just a fad and it would disappear in a couple of years. This October will mark the 20 year anniversary of me jumping on that "fad".

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Traffic still and always.

Traffic is congested near me so my state builds new lanes on i-95 with tax payer money. Construction for this has been fucking up my commute for years and will for another before everything is completed.

New lanes are 'express lanes' which means they charge users to use them, $.25 a mile. There are no exits so once you are on you have to stay the whole 7 miles, so its $1.75 and they just list the cost as .25 because they think it sounds better. The majority of drivers will then have to go through one of the tunnels which cost $1.40 commuter plan or $4.00 cash.

So the average driver who wants to use these lanes will be paying $6.30 a day to do so. Average about 20 work days a month and that cost comes to a "very affordable" $126 a month. Nice huh? My state is really fighting its reputation that its pricing out the middle class with these moves.

So we pay a really high gas tax 'to pay for roads'. Then our tax dollars are used to build a road that we will be charged to use. All the while the massive construction brings traffic to a halt in a number of locations. Thanks Maryland!

Plus a fun part is most drivers polled say they wont use the new lanes or cannot afford to. So if no one uses them, the entire project allegedly done to reduce congestion will have no effect on it at all.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether this is a failed attempt at satire (poor writing), a genuine and fundamental misunderstanding of some of the most very basic principles of physics (unacceptable miseducation), or an outright and intentional lie to mislead people (a disturbing lack of journalistic integrity), this drives me nuts.

Solar Panels Drain the Sun's Energy, Experts Say | National Report

It has been debunked, thank God, but there are people who will see this, will take it serious, and will use it to support continued dependence on big oil and further stagnation of sustainable energy research.

:burt:

The study was commissioned in August 2011 by the Halliburton corporation

This article debunked itself.

"an outright and intentional lie to deceive people" is the only answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when telecommuting was going to reduce traffic congestion? It seems more and more companies these days want their employees physically in the office because they don't trust them outside of the office to do their work.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Traffic is congested near me so my state builds new lanes on i-95 with tax payer money. Construction for this has been fucking up my commute for years and will for another before everything is completed.

New lanes are 'express lanes' which means they charge users to use them, $.25 a mile. There are no exits so once you are on you have to stay the whole 7 miles, so its $1.75 and they just list the cost as .25 because they think it sounds better. The majority of drivers will then have to go through one of the tunnels which cost $1.40 commuter plan or $4.00 cash.

So the average driver who wants to use these lanes will be paying $6.30 a day to do so. Average about 20 work days a month and that cost comes to a "very affordable" $126 a month. Nice huh? My state is really fighting its reputation that its pricing out the middle class with these moves.

So we pay a really high gas tax 'to pay for roads'. Then our tax dollars are used to build a road that we will be charged to use. All the while the massive construction brings traffic to a halt in a number of locations. Thanks Maryland!

Plus a fun part is most drivers polled say they wont use the new lanes or cannot afford to. So if no one uses them, the entire project allegedly done to reduce congestion will have no effect on it at all.

sounds like our new and improved (and tolled) port mann bridge

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I still laugh about the night that Guvna Bob was elected. "YOUR TRAFFIC PROBLEMS END NOW!".

So, in seriousness, is the 95/695 project in White Marsh actually done? They started it before my son was born and he's 11 now. I remember when I worked at Comcast and they thought they'd have to move the dishes to make way for it. That was almost 15 years ago. It's been going on forever.

I guess it could be worse. A friend of mine lives in Montgomery County (Gaithersburg) and is about to have a highway go through the park next to their neighborhood. But they are not as lucky as the neighborhood on the other side that is all being bought by the county. Those people are all getting market value for their houses and his will drop by (estimating by local realtors) 40%. More than half the houses in his neighborhood went up for sale overnight.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We're moving towards a High Occupancy Toll (HOT) model on one of the expressways around here, but they're saying the lanes won't be built with taxpayer money, but will instead be funded by the construction company who will then have the right to operate the lanes for 50 years. The state will maintain some say in how much the tolls are, but will see none of the cash. Cars with 3+ people in them will be free. Hybrids won't be able to use for free and the status for electrics is currently unknown.

Shockingly, these HOT lanes will be on the section of road that goes through one of the wealthiest areas in the state.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still laugh about the night that Guvna Bob was elected. "YOUR TRAFFIC PROBLEMS END NOW!".

So, in seriousness, is the 95/695 project in White Marsh actually done? They started it before my son was born and he's 11 now. I remember when I worked at Comcast and they thought they'd have to move the dishes to make way for it. That was almost 15 years ago. It's been going on forever.

Nope. Its slated to be complete by the end of the year. They are redoing the bridge on rt 43 (your road) going over 95 too so now both east and west traffic merge into one lane to get onto 95. Where once it took me 5 minutes to get onto 95 from my house is now taking 20 or so. Basically most days its taking me 45 minutes to get to the tunnel, which should be about 15 or 20 minutes.

Its good for a person in their 40s to be frustrated and angry 2 and a half hours a day, isn't it?

Good thing my dog can take a punch. j/k

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess it could be worse. A friend of mine lives in Montgomery County (Gaithersburg) and is about to have a highway go through the park next to their neighborhood. But they are not as lucky as the neighborhood on the other side that is all being bought by the county. Those people are all getting market value for their houses and his will drop by (estimating by local realtors) 40%. More than half the houses in his neighborhood went up for sale overnight.

Pfft...amateurs. The outer loop around Charlotte broke ground in July 1988. Almost 26 years later and the final approximately 6 miles is scheduled to open in December. Total length is approximately 67 miles. They managed, on average, barely over 2.5 miles per year from start to finish (obviously there were times when little or no construction was going on of course).

And the very first section to open was over capacity the day it opened. It now operates at approximately 250% of its design capacity, though they're already adding new lanes to that section.

So, in summary, 26+ years to complete, having to add lanes to existing sections before the whole thing is even complete.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Its slated to be complete by the end of the year. They are redoing the bridge on rt 43 (your road) going over 95 too so now both east and west traffic merge into one lane to get onto 95. Where once it took me 5 minutes to get onto 95 from my house is now taking 20 or so. Basically most days its taking me 45 minutes to get to the tunnel, which should be about 15 or 20 minutes.

Its good for a person in their 40s to be frustrated and angry 2 and a half hours a day, isn't it?

Good thing my dog can take a punch. j/k

Oh. My. God. Really? That's possibly the dumbest idea I have ever heard.

And I am guessing there still isn't another exit/entrance north of rt43 for 11 miles, right? So EVERYONE in that half of the county has to try and go through there? :L

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pfft...amateurs. The outer loop around Charlotte broke ground in July 1988. Almost 26 years later and the final approximately 6 miles is scheduled to open in December. Total length is approximately 67 miles. They managed, on average, barely over 2.5 miles per year from start to finish (obviously there were times when little or no construction was going on of course).

And the very first section to open was over capacity the day it opened. It now operates at approximately 250% of its design capacity, though they're already adding new lanes to that section.

So, in summary, 26+ years to complete, having to add lanes to existing sections before the whole thing is even complete.

That's impressive! Do you have any spurs to nowhere or dead end ramps on it? We have some around here, they always amused me. After construction is started someone changed their mind. Its a well thought out process.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh. My. God. Really? That's possibly the dumbest idea I have ever heard.

And I am guessing there still isn't another exit/entrance north of rt43 for 11 miles, right? So EVERYONE in that half of the county has to try and go through there? :L

Yep, no exits or entrances between 43 and 152.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article debunked itself.

"an outright and intentional lie to deceive people" is the only answer.

I guess I should have been clearer. Everything in the article, not just the science, was made up. Halliburton never made an announcement about solar panels, WIT doesn't exist, the whole thing is a lie.

But it's not written like a satire, it's written like it's true. So either the author just made a bunch of stuff up and wrote it to trick people, or he tried satire and failed miserably. Satire is not supposed to be that subtle. Especially when not getting it could cause major problems.

I actually am leaning toward "outright and intentional lie to deceive people," though.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's impressive! Do you have any spurs to nowhere or dead end ramps on it? We have some around here, they always amused me. After construction is started someone changed their mind. Its a well thought out process.

Yeah, though I think those are more designed with "future expansion" (read: never gonna happen) in mind rather than changed their minds.

There's one unfinished exit that I drive past frequently. They built and graded the entire thing, just never bother to pave it. Stuck a couple Jersey barriers in front of it at both ends and called it a day. Now they have to send trucks out a couple times a month to move the barriers back into place because people move them out of the way and use the exit anyhow. Might be because it was originally designed as the only exit for a 5 mile stretch (as in it's currently 5 miles between exits and this was supposed to be about halfway) and because the two "real" exits on either side get horribly backed up.

I guess if they really are thinking future expansion though, it would be good, since they don't normally think that way around here. For example: the final major interchange for the outer loop was built as a terminus interchange about 10 years ago because the highway ended there at the time. But rather than building it as a full interchange but just not using a portion of it until the rest of the road opened, they're now spending approximately $90M of our taxpayer dollars to completely re-build that interchange.

They're also talking about the need to widen I-77, which runs immediately to the west of downtown and is the major north/south commuter route in the area. They're saying that an approximately 10 miles stretch will likely cost north of $1B (yeah, that's right, that's a B...as in billion) or $100M per mile. In that 10 mile stretch I think they said there's something like 8-10 bridges they need to pass under and only 1 has capacity to add more lanes, so all the rest will need to be completely re-built. And the state sold off almost all of the right-of-way alongside the highways, so they would need to purchase all the land. Yeah, $100M per mile.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, though I think those are more designed with "future expansion" (read: never gonna happen) in mind rather than changed their minds.

There's one unfinished exit that I drive past frequently. They built and graded the entire thing, just never bother to pave it. Stuck a couple Jersey barriers in front of it at both ends and called it a day. Now they have to send trucks out a couple times a month to move the barriers back into place because people move them out of the way and use the exit anyhow. Might be because it was originally designed as the only exit for a 5 mile stretch (as in it's currently 5 miles between exits and this was supposed to be about halfway) and because the two "real" exits on either side get horribly backed up.

I guess if they really are thinking future expansion though, it would be good, since they don't normally think that way around here. For example: the final major interchange for the outer loop was built as a terminus interchange about 10 years ago because the highway ended there at the time. But rather than building it as a full interchange but just not using a portion of it until the rest of the road opened, they're now spending approximately $90M of our taxpayer dollars to completely re-build that interchange.

They're also talking about the need to widen I-77, which runs immediately to the west of downtown and is the major north/south commuter route in the area. They're saying that an approximately 10 miles stretch will likely cost north of $1B (yeah, that's right, that's a B...as in billion) or $100M per mile. In that 10 mile stretch I think they said there's something like 8-10 bridges they need to pass under and only 1 has capacity to add more lanes, so all the rest will need to be completely re-built. And the state sold off almost all of the right-of-way alongside the highways, so they would need to purchase all the land. Yeah, $100M per mile.

That's incredible. What a mess. $100 million a mile, wow.