• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Name some things that drive you fucking nuts

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fixed.

Seriously, people, take one minute out of your day and put the damn cart back. I have been lucky enough to not have my car dented before, but it's just discourteous to leave your shit all over. Would you go to a restaurant and leave your meal all over the table?

Don't answer that; I worked fast food.

That's not just fast food. I worked in a semi-upscale restaurant for a few years and people did some stupid shit.

No, it's not adorable when you hand the entire cracker basket to your toddler so he can tear every single package open, crush the crackers, and throw them around the dining room.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like examples on the first part, and I call bullshit on the 2nd.

I was at the mall the other day. A clerk at J.C. Penny said the company was taking their employees insurance away. Maybe this is just one store, but I think it's wrong. Everyone has to have some kind of insurance or they're going to be forced to pay taxes of some kind. So if you don't have insurance be prepared.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the mall the other day. A clerk at J.C. Penny said the company was taking their employees insurance away. Maybe this is just one store, but I think it's wrong. Everyone has to have some kind of insurance or they're going to be forced to pay taxes of some kind. So if you don't have insurance be prepared.

I worked for GFS (Christian owned, btw), and they were making changes in a similar way. They changed the number of hours that constitutes full time, down from 40 to 35, so they had to cut back everyone's hours, because no one could get full time or they'd have to offer benefits they didn't want to. So, these people who were already getting screwed over had their hours cut even more. I don't know enough about the healthcare reform (man I think Obama is going to regret his name being forever linked to this) to give a true opinion, but there's some definite opportunity costs associated with it. Companies saw it as an opportunity to save money, and they're doing it.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worked for GFS (Christian owned, btw), and they were making changes in a similar way. They changed the number of hours that constitutes full time, down from 40 to 35, so they had to cut back everyone's hours, because no one could get full time or they'd have to offer benefits they didn't want to. So, these people who were already getting screwed over had their hours cut even more. I don't know enough about the healthcare reform (man I think Obama is going to regret his name being forever linked to this) to give a true opinion, but there's some definite opportunity costs associated with it. Companies saw it as an opportunity to save money, and they're doing it.

Grocery stores have been doing it for years. It's how WalMart & Costco do business. I still don't understand why we elected somebody who's main thing was healthcare instead of fixing the economy. Whoever wins the next election is going to inherit a worse situation then Clinton did when he went into office regarding the deficit.

lhagen931

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grocery stores have been doing it for years. It's how WalMart & Costco do business. I still don't understand why we elected somebody who's main thing was healthcare instead of fixing the economy. Whoever wins the next election is going to inherit a worse situation then Clinton did when he went into office regarding the deficit.

Unfortunately there's an opportunity cost involved in electing a economically focused president is it usually comes at the cost of social issues, and that won't fly in today's society. The political system is so damn broken it's disgusting. What's also unfortunate is the candidates and advisory groups that will help the economy tend to be rich and stuck up, which turns off voters. I didn't like Romney, but I'm pretty sure he would've handled the economic situation better. Foreign policy? Not sure...but economics? Yes.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, this is purely my opinion and I'm not necessarily educated in the realm, but nevertheless: fixing the economy needs to start with fixing a screwed up higher education system. MAJORITY of students are coming out in the hole and with no savings (*waves*). You wanna know why so many students are going for extra degrees? Well, outside of job/salary benefits, you get to delay your loan payments. HOW in the world can my generation be contributing members to society if we can't buy homes or cars or food that isn't Ramen? Look, I'm not asking for a handout, but I'm asking for someone to step in and see how overpriced college is. It's not just private schools anymore, the state schools are trying to catch up. It's a terrible catch 22...you need a college degree (unless you're talented in a trade) to get a job that isn't working at Walmart, but to get that job you must first obtain massive amounts of debt, and in my major I couldn't work in addition, so I come out in debt with no savings. So I basically have to live my parents after I finish grad school. I have no option. Luckily I have awesome parents, but that's not everyone.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, this is purely my opinion and I'm not necessarily educated in the realm, but nevertheless: fixing the economy needs to start with fixing a screwed up higher education system. MAJORITY of students are coming out in the hole and with no savings (*waves*). You wanna know why so many students are going for extra degrees? Well, outside of job/salary benefits, you get to delay your loan payments. HOW in the world can my generation be contributing members to society if we can't buy homes or cars or food that isn't Ramen? Look, I'm not asking for a handout, but I'm asking for someone to step in and see how overpriced college is. It's not just private schools anymore, the state schools are trying to catch up. It's a terrible catch 22...you need a college degree (unless you're talented in a trade) to get a job that isn't working at Walmart, but to get that job you must first obtain massive amounts of debt, and in my major I couldn't work in addition, so I come out in debt with no savings. So I basically have to live my parents after I finish grad school. I have no option. Luckily I have awesome parents, but that's not everyone.

Perhaps US students should go the route that Quebec students do. Whenever the province tries to implement tuition hikes the students all strike and protest like crazy :yahoo:. They may seem like just trouble makers but places like McGill and Universite de Laval are world class schools and the tuition for Quebec residents is ridiculously cheap.

University should not be for the wealthy only.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps US students should go the route that Quebec students do. Whenever the province tries to implement tuition hikes the students all strike and protest like crazy :yahoo:. They may seem like just trouble makers but places like McGill and Universite de Laval are world class schools and the tuition for Quebec residents is ridiculously cheap.

University should not be for the wealthy only.

Exactly. There are so many young people out there with so much potential. It's insane. There are obviously costs associated with an education, but the things that ARE being paid for via tuition? It doesn't add up. Where does the money go? That's what every student has a right to know. The salary some of those people get paid (*cough*Presidents*cough*) is sickening too.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always believed you shouldn't pay for education

If only. Europe is a prime example of how it should work. Their higher education is tied to secondary and primary school though. In Germany (at least this is what I learned in German class in HS), they take a test before HS that basically points them toward college or toward the trades. What's not good in the US is that society makes it seem like college is better than trades. That's not true at all. The jobs each person does are vital in their own particular way. Become an expert in what you do, do it well, have passion for it. But because of that pressure, everyone assumes they have to go to school, so people force themselves through college who have no place there. College started as a place to LEARN more, not a job placing degree. If we want college to become job training, that's fine...but cut out the liberal arts crap that's not necessary. Students are paying THOUSANDS of dollars in classes that are irrelevant.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always believed you shouldn't pay for education

Agree, but only up to Bachelor's degree.

My continued education should be my responsibility.

And after high school, there should be an option to go to a trade school or a university. Not everyone is going to do something with 4 years of Ramen Noodles and body paint in a football stadium. Of course, I also believe that people on unemployment should have to attend training and update their skills to get their checks. Give a man a fish, etc...

Also:
thumbs_we_told_them_the_wealth_would_trickle_down.jpg

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL being as popular as it is.

To me, baseball, basketball, hockey and soccer are all more interesting.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People who talk about things they have little understanding of.

Sports related example: Since the Seahawks have become successful everyone (women included) have started talking about football incessantly in Seattle. When after the Seahawks crushed the Jaguars, the Seahawks put backup QB Tarvaris Jackson in to replace Russell Wilson. While subbing for Wilson, T-Jack completed 7 of 8 passes for 129 yards and a touchdown. Why do I bring this up? Because while getting coffee at Starbucks (I'm a walking cliche, I know) after the game I had the pleasure of listening to two women talk about how good that Jackson guy is and how he should get to play QB more and they should move Russell Wilson to "runner" and Marshawn Lynch to "blocker". I shit you not.

Then it also drives me nuts when I hear people talk about politics when they clearly have no idea what the hell they are talking about. Another time I had the pleasure of overhearing a group of girls talk about how communism really is not that bad and they don't understand why Americans hate it so much (It was clearly a group of international students or something). Unable to contain myself, I asked them if they were aware that Stalin was directly responsible for the deaths of millions, to which they responded that Stalin was not a communist, he was a nazi.

The rampant stupidity I experience around me on a daily basis never ceases to amaze me.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Students are paying TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars in classes that are irrelevant.

Fixed it for you.

For my economics major I believe I was only required to take 9 econ related classes (not including the calculus and statistics courses). Keep in mind the University of Washington is on the quarter system. So around 1/4 of my degree was actually directly related to my major.

Not to mention it is a graduation requirement to have completed 3 quarters worth of a world language for graduation. Which is obviously exempt for the international students. God forbid we force them to have to learn English, let alone another language.

Safe to say I can not speak a word of Spanish despite taking 3 quarters of it at UW. 15 credits = Around $3,500 at the University of Washington. I retain information remarkably well but forgot everything I learned in Spanish because it is of no interest or use to me.

Lastly I was required to obtain my undergraduate degree in order to go to law school. I find Economics interesting and all but if I could have skipped my undergrad and gone to law school it would have been a lot more practical and saved me a good chunk of time and money.

Oh well.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another time I had the pleasure of overhearing a group of girls talk about how communism really is not that bad and they don't understand why Americans hate it so much (It was clearly a group of international students or something). Unable to contain myself, I asked them if they were aware that Stalin was directly responsible for the deaths of millions, to which they responded that Stalin was not a communist, he was a nazi.

They sound hot, I want to be in them.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Referees that come up to you, the coach, after the game and apologize for the other ref's performance.

1) My son had a puck covered for a good 2 seconds (between the lags) and they didn't whistle it. Other team kept poking, called good goal.
2) Our team scored, a shot up under the arm of the goalie that trickled in and the goalie reached back and pulled it out. No goal.
3) One of our players was slashed in the HEAD. No call.
4) Missed at least three offsides

I appreciate the apology, but how about actually fixing it in the game? Because when you lose 4-3 and the score was actually 4-3 the other way, it stings. We pointed it out at least five times, and he kept saying "I know".

First time I've ever walked off the ice without thanking both refs.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MY STUPID, FUCKING, PIECE OF SHIT CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad2:

It can't handle the snow at all, and I ended up running 2 red lights last night, and almost crashed right into a light pole, when my car turned sideways, and drifted right towards it.

The 2nd time I ran a red light, a cop was right there, and pulled me over. I tried to explain that I hit the brakes, and even tried pumping the brakes, but they locked up, and my car kept going. I told him at that point, it was better if I just hit the gas, and kept going, instead of possibly causing an accident in the intersection.

Thankfully he let me off with just a warning, but I felt like a complete jackass.

Looks like it's time to drop some money on a few winter upgrades, starting with the tires. What's odd about it, is that I had no problem last year with the same car driving in similar, and even worse conditions? :noidea:

[YOUTUBE]K-34Fdtg1dI[/YOUTUBE]