• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Name some things that drive you fucking nuts

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think there is much chance of interference, Boss. The article confirms that by and large. The fact is we have all kinds of waves and signals shooting all around us at all times.

That said, when I'm on a plane, I'm glad they aren't chancing it. If anything, we could all stand to shut our phones off a little more often, so 10 minutes at the beginning and end of a flight isn't a big deal. We existed for centuries by meeting people at places at certain times without cell phone devices.

I always laugh at the crazy scramble when landing when people are allowed to use their phone again. I never stand up early. I never turn on my phone at that point. I just sit back and enjoy the symphony of idiocy that ensues - the guy who acts frustrated it's taking so long to get off the plane (you're in the 17th row, dude, have you done this before?), the inane call to the person confirming they are meeting exactly where they said they would when they are literally 3 minutes from that actually happening, etc. etc. People are silly.

I love the rapid succession of important updates. "We just landed" "We just landed" "We just landed" "We just landed" "We just landed" "We just landed" "We just landed". Especially when they are trying to juggle the giant shopping bag they stuffed in the overhead and their phone.

Mrs 43 has an app on her phone that can see where my phone is at any time as long as my GPS is on (got it for when I was out on long bike rides - so she could come find me if I wound up in a ditch). I turn on GPS, and she knows I landed. Then she can make her way from the cell lot to the pick up area. And I don't have to sound like all the other dweebs.

And the phones cannot interfere and "take down a plane". I think the reason is to ensure that during takeoff and landing, there is no chance of static interference (like on a speakerphone when someone leaves their cell too close.) and the pilot missing an instruction.

"India Gulf niner niner - Urgent please *SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH* DO YOU COPY?"

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think there is much chance of interference, Boss. The article confirms that by and large. The fact is we have all kinds of waves and signals shooting all around us at all times.

That said, when I'm on a plane, I'm glad they aren't chancing it. If anything, we could all stand to shut our phones off a little more often, so 10 minutes at the beginning and end of a flight isn't a big deal. We existed for centuries by meeting people at places at certain times without cell phone devices.

I always laugh at the crazy scramble when landing when people are allowed to use their phone again.
I never stand up early. I never turn on my phone at that point. I just sit back and enjoy the symphony of idiocy that ensues - the guy who acts frustrated it's taking so long to get off the plane (you're in the 17th row, dude, have you done this before?), the inane call to the person confirming they are meeting exactly where they said they would when they are literally 3 minutes from that actually happening, etc. etc. People are silly.

By and large the scramble is unnecessary but one time I dearly wished we were allowed to have our phones on. My flight had been delayed several times and I missed my bus literally by 2 minutes. No exaggeration. 2 minutes. Had we been allowed to use our phones, I could have called them and asked them to hold up. Instead, the phones came on 2 minutes too late and my next connecting bus arrived two hours later. This was for a bus trip that was already going to take 2 hours. :L

That's when I turned around on the airplane and punched some bald-headed guy for laughing at me. :whistle:

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always laugh at the crazy scramble when landing when people are allowed to use their phone again. I never stand up early. I never turn on my phone at that point. I just sit back and enjoy the symphony of idiocy that ensues - the guy who acts frustrated it's taking so long to get off the plane (you're in the 17th row, dude, have you done this before?), the inane call to the person confirming they are meeting exactly where they said they would when they are literally 3 minutes from that actually happening, etc. etc. People are silly.
I only act like that stand up early crazy scramble dude when I'm connecting a flight with a short time window, usually when my plane has arrived late. And if I'm using my phone, I'm checking the expected departure of my connecting flight.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using a cell phone while flying is statistically 99.99% safer than using one while driving.

3sczm2.jpg

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think it's the combination of proximity (people on the plane are exponentially closer to the systems) and concentration (many electronic devices condensed in one small area) compared to the ground proximity and density.

/Unless you have 200 people partying in your house (and on your lawn) all using their cell phones at once...

Yeah that makes sense. Sometimes I can hear the pilots talking to the tower because of the plate in my fucking head. :lol:

This cracks me up too. The second the plane stops rolling people fly out of their seat like they have the gold key to a secret exit door. It is comical to watch and I do the same thing just sit and watch. The only problem is on long flights some of the people that don't feel the need to shower have all that BO funk flying around and you wish you could throw them out the window. I flew from Atlanta to Buffalo once (2 hour flight) the fucker next to me smelled like he hadn't taken a shower in a week and I swear I though I was going to be sick.

Last edited by a moderator:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been times when I've stood up right away at the end of a flight, but that's usually after a lengthy flight where they've kept us in our seats most of the time due to rough flying. After sitting for that long, I sometimes just need to stand up and stretch.

If I'm any further back than about row 10 though, my butt stays planted until the line starts to move.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only act like that stand up early crazy scramble dude when I'm connecting a flight with a short time window, usually when my plane has arrived late. And if I'm using my phone, I'm checking the expected departure of my connecting flight.

I love it when those types of people start shoving past everyone else.

Him: "I've got a connection to catch!"

Me: "So do 90% of the people here. What's your point?"

I say it that way so that it's more-or-less statistically true since I'm usually not connecting, but Charlotte has one of the highest percentages of transit passengers (i.e., not starting or finishing their trip their) in the world.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love it when those types of people start shoving past everyone else.

Him: "I've got a connection to catch!"

Me: "So do 90% of the people here. What's your point?"

I say it that way so that it's more-or-less statistically true since I'm usually not connecting, but Charlotte has one of the highest percentages of transit passengers (i.e., not starting or finishing their trip their) in the world.
...which is the antithesis of the "sit until the rows in front of you are emptied and then casually get up and block the aisle while you search cluelessly for your bag, causing even more of a backlog" type...

...these are the same people who put their small purses and carryons above that could fit under the seat, creating a backlog in loading when people can't find room to store their bags...

when it's my row's turn to walk out, I already have my bags in hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we're on the topic, does anyone else think that the way planes are loaded is completely backward and idiotic? I get it, they paid more money so the front of the plane gets seated first, but wouldn't it make way more sense and be much faster if the people in the back got seated first and then the rows filled in back to front? That way you don't have people blocking the aisle and getting in the way?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we're on the topic, does anyone else think that the way planes are loaded is completely backward and idiotic? I get it, they paid more money so the front of the plane gets seated first, but wouldn't it make way more sense and be much faster if the people in the back got seated first and then the rows filled in back to front? That way you don't have people blocking the aisle and getting in the way?

Statistically the best way to do it is to line the people up in a very specific order based on seat assignment. Since that's not realistic, the next best way (statistically speaking) is the Ryanair free-for-all.

Physicist cuts plane boarding time in half | Crave - CNET

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just yell out that you have a bad case of flatulence and it's about ready to let go. Oh, and say that you had a burrito, two tacos and refried beans for lunch and washed it down with some cheap ass beer like Genny Cream Ale.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just yell out that you have a bad case of flatulence and it's about ready to let go. Oh, and say that you had a burrito, two tacos and refried beans for lunch and washed it down with some cheap ass beer like Genny Cream Ale.

As funny as that is, I once almost missed a flight because of the runs.

Was flying from Delhi to Frankfurt, waiting in line to board, when I had the "uh oh, gotta go" moment. Had to spring (with cheeks clenched) to the other side of the terminal and then run back and be the last person on as they're closing the door behind me.

Ugh, that sucked.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As funny as that is, I once almost missed a flight because of the runs.

Was flying from Delhi to Frankfurt, waiting in line to board, when I had the "uh oh, gotta go" moment. Had to spring (with cheeks clenched) to the other side of the terminal and then run back and be the last person on as they're closing the door behind me.

Ugh, that sucked.

I hear you buddy and if your "condition" is bad sometimes the take offs are cheek clinchers !!

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you buddy and if your "condition" is bad sometimes the take offs are cheek clinchers !!

Didn't prove to be an issue thankfully.

Probably TMI, but that was about the 10th (and thankfully final) visit to the loo in about the prior 5 hours. Like so many others I was afflicted by the Delhi Belly while I was there.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't prove to be an issue thankfully.

Probably TMI, but that was about the 10th (and thankfully final) visit to the loo in about the prior 5 hours. Like so many others I was afflicted by the Delhi Belly while I was there.

I took a cruise once and we had two stops in Mexico. I did NOT drink the water. I always heard it could be a problem and I wasn't about to put it to the test.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took a cruise once and we had two stops in Mexico. I did NOT drink the water. I always heard it could be a problem and I wasn't about to put it to the test.

I did OK in Mexico, but I only went to Cancun and stayed mostly in the touristy areas.

Thought I was pretty careful in Delhi, but obviously wasn't careful enough. I did survive both trips to Hanoi without a scratch though while my coworker had to go to the ER after one trip because it was so bad.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did OK in Mexico, but I only went to Cancun and stayed mostly in the touristy areas.

Thought I was pretty careful in Delhi, but obviously wasn't careful enough. I did survive both trips to Hanoi without a scratch though while my coworker had to go to the ER after one trip because it was so bad.

We were on a tour bus in Mexico to see the Mayan ruins and they had coolers on the bus with bottled water, pop and Corona. Easy choice :suds: