• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Name some things that drive you fucking nuts

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Omg, EVERY store having a charity contribution or round up on checkout is getting on my nerves. Here are the issues....
(1) I don't necessarily know the charity - do they pay their CEO $5 mil a year? what portions of their proceeds do good? I don't know in the two seconds i'm being asked to make this decision.​
(2) Why is there never a matching component? I'd be happier to do it if they offered to match whatever contribution I make but I've almost never found that to be true.​
(3) I already donate lots of money to charity, but now if I don't want to donate 17 cents to some cause I have to feel bad? I just needed some cough medicine for my wife or a shirt for work and now I'm being presented with a moral question.​
(4) Do people donate less because of these? Does someone that would have given $25 to a charity balk because they gave a total of $1.37 over three transactions last week and they're fatigued by it.​
(5) I want to choose the charities I donate to and they are often regional/local, not national ones that the corporations generally choose.​

It used to be at some places during the holidays. Now it's almost everywhere almost all the time. I know the intent is good and if they want to wrap it up in a corporate mission (1 tree planted for every $20 you spend) that's cool. But stop asking me this. I don't object to the charity - I object to you acting like a good corporate citizen by bludgeoning the public with these micro transactions. Just open up your corporate coffers and dump a cash pile on them.

Anyhow, they drive me fucking nuts. I just want to buy a shirt, post hole digger, bunch of bananas, or wireless mouse in peace.

/rant
//this would be a great Curb Your Enthusiasm diatribe/episode
I'm with you on this one because it's always so vague and I don't want to play 20 questions with the 16 year old asking "would you like to round up to support our troops/children with cancer/blind kittens & puppies (side not, if I ever got asked that, I would give them all of my money)/whatever else?" regarding the charity.

And that's partially because I want to get my shit and leave, but mainly because it's horribly unfair to these poor cashiers to have to shill like that. I don't know how good my grocery store is at vetting their charity choices. Last thing I want to find out is that the company is donating to an a) inefficient/ineffective, b) a scam, or c) is giving to organizations for causes I don't support (speaking about the broad national charities where maybe they suckered me on the blind animals, but it turns out they also give money to gay conversion groups or some shit).

/end rant

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you on this one because it's always so vague and I don't want to play 20 questions with the 16 year old asking "would you like to round up to support our troops/children with cancer/blind kittens & puppies (side not, if I ever got asked that, I would give them all of my money)/whatever else?" regarding the charity.

And that's partially because I want to get my shit and leave, but mainly because it's horribly unfair to these poor cashiers to have to shill like that. I don't know how good my grocery store is at vetting their charity choices. Last thing I want to find out is that the company is donating to an a) inefficient/ineffective, b) a scam, or c) is giving to organizations for causes I don't support (speaking about the broad national charities where maybe they suckered me on the blind animals, but it turns out they also give money to gay conversion groups or some shit).

/end rant

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Discovered water leaking into my ceiling drywall from my attic last night. HVAC system of course.

Turns out that not only is there a problem with the coil, leading to the excess water, but the secondary drain pan is also apparently cracked (I say apparently because 90% of it is not visible because it's under the HVAC unit itself) which is what allowed the water to leak instead of flowing out the backup drain.

So now I'm probably looking at full HVAC replacement and I have to paint part of my ceiling. The system is from 2007, so it's already on borrowed time, but I'd really hoped to squeeze another year out of it.

:gaah:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate it when Google directs me to a bunch of pay sites to read an out-of-town story. No, I'm not going to subscribe to the Washington Post or the Miami Herald to read one fucking story.
And when they pop up a wall in front because you have an ad blocker on.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you get a letter from the Pennsylvania department of labor and industry that you have an open unemployment claim yet you have not filed one.

While talking to others about this I learned this has happened to a ton of people.

Fucking scammers.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you get a letter from the Pennsylvania department of labor and industry that you have an open unemployment claim yet you have not filed one.

While talking to others about this I learned this has happened to a ton of people.
The number one scam out there right now, now that the "I really do have a small business - send me money." scams are petering out.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Name some things that drive you fucking nuts​

#GoFundMe. How about #GoTakeaShitInYourHat

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The number one scam out there right now, now that the "I really do have a small business - send me money." scams are petering out.

My concern is they would need your SSN to open an unemployment claim I would assume?!?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My concern is they would need your SSN to open an unemployment claim I would assume?!?
There are billions of variables based on state's rules, etc. But they do need to know some things about you. Name Address, last employer, etc. There are some freedumb loving states that don't require SSN. Others don't validate SSN, they just accept the numbers that get put in.

My company has hired a team of five people whose entire job is looking into claims listing our company as last employer. The Department of Labor sends us a list every week (we have 30k + employees). DoL is dealing with this a lot nationwide. I feel for them, but they are getting pretty good at detecting it. Go to your company HR and work with DoL and it will get sorted. Will just take a while.

Another good bet is to put all your email addresses into haveibeenpwned.com and see where your info has been leaked to get an idea of what the fraudsters may know about you.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are billions of variables based on state's rules, etc. But they do need to know some things about you. Name Address, last employer, etc. There are some freedumb loving states that don't require SSN. Others don't validate SSN, they just accept the numbers that get put in.

My company has hired a team of five people whose entire job is looking into claims listing our company as last employer. The Department of Labor sends us a list every week (we have 30k + employees). DoL is dealing with this a lot nationwide. I feel for them, but they are getting pretty good at detecting it. Go to your company HR and work with DoL and it will get sorted. Will just take a while.

Another good bet is to put all your email addresses into haveibeenpwned.com and see where your info has been leaked to get an idea of what the fraudsters may know about you.
Awesome thanks for the info. Much appreciated, I’m expecting an email from HR soon. I know other co-workers that I have talked to have received them recently.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D'Eriq King story made me think of this...

Names that are the same as common names but spelled weird. Let me be clear that I am all for inventing new names and being creative in that way if you want to be (Tevin, Apple, Starquasha, hell I knew a guy named Iceberg, that's awesome, have at it). But if you are naming your kid Derrick, then do it as 'Derrick' or 'Derek' and call it a day. Don't subject your kid to a lifetime of clerical errors, missed deliveries, and people struggling to start a conversation due to name uncertainty just so you can spell something a little differently. Be creative... but don't waste everyone's time.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Names that are the same as common names but spelled weird. Let me be clear that I am all for inventing new names and being creative in that way if you want to be (Tevin, Apple, Starquasha, hell I knew a guy named Iceberg, that's awesome, have at it). But if you are naming your kid Derrick, then do it as 'Derrick' or 'Derek' and call it a day. Don't subject your kid to a lifetime of clerical errors, missed deliveries, and people struggling to start a conversation due to name uncertainty just so you can spell something a little differently. Be creative... but don't waste everyone's time.

Elon Musk's son likes this.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

I assumed parents are doing this now as revenge to the Starbucks barristas that can't (or won't) spell "Rob" or "Steve" or "Lisa"

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I knew someone whose name was "J" not Jay short for Jason it was literally "J".

As a kid it was "cute" but as an adult just imagine having to go through all the documentation crap process of explaining that isn't a first initial.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speaking of Derek's....every Derek I know is this Derek:

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife, when she was a teacher, had a student named La-a

Pronounced LaDasha

I mispronounced it as LaHyphena