• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Name some things that drive you fucking nuts

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So mom in law in hospital
I am using hospital wifi so I can stream the game
Hfboards blocked due to adult content
The SportsHoopla, open and clear.
Really
Hope she's ok

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey coaches who make stupid personnel decisions and wind up cutting the third best goalie in a program because two freshmen "need to develop".

And then hockey coaches who say nothing to the kid cut about what specifically he was cut for or what he should work on.

And then hockey coaches who never reach out to the parents explaining any of it. All info we got about it was from parents of other players who overheard.

And then other hockey coaches who actually had the kid on their team last year and said they had the confidence to "put him in any game, against any opponent without hesitation", that didn't stand up to the shithead varsity head coach and advocate for the kid, who is now devastated.

And then talking with every other high school coach in the city and finding out that a) they think the coach is stupid and kind of a dick and b) rules state that my kid can't play for them, and c) if he could, he'd likely be varsity starter. He beat every other team in Columbus last season. He only lost to a team from Cleveland last year. These coaches know.

Losing a whole season of games because there is no program he can go to without stealing someone else's job, which he refuses to do (give the boy credit for that).

Also, trying to explain to a 14 year old boy that sometimes things happen through no fault of yours and they will turn out okay. When you are not sure yourself it will be that way.

At least there is one program with a great goalie coach who likes him and will let him come practice with them. The two top goalies at his school graduate this year. He will get A+ instruction all year. He doesn't make it next season, I might solve the problem the American Way.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey coaches who make stupid personnel decisions and wind up cutting the third best goalie in a program because two freshmen "need to develop".

And then hockey coaches who say nothing to the kid cut about what specifically he was cut for or what he should work on.

And then hockey coaches who never reach out to the parents explaining any of it. All info we got about it was from parents of other players who overheard.

And then other hockey coaches who actually had the kid on their team last year and said they had the confidence to "put him in any game, against any opponent without hesitation", that didn't stand up to the shithead varsity head coach and advocate for the kid, who is now devastated.

And then talking with every other high school coach in the city and finding out that a) they think the coach is stupid and kind of a dick and b) rules state that my kid can't play for them, and c) if he could, he'd likely be varsity starter. He beat every other team in Columbus last season. He only lost to a team from Cleveland last year. These coaches know.

Losing a whole season of games because there is no program he can go to without stealing someone else's job, which he refuses to do (give the boy credit for that).

Also, trying to explain to a 14 year old boy that sometimes things happen through no fault of yours and they will turn out okay. When you are not sure yourself it will be that way.

At least there is one program with a great goalie coach who likes him and will let him come practice with them. The two top goalies at his school graduate this year. He will get A+ instruction all year. He doesn't make it next season, I might solve the problem the American Way.

Are these high school programs who can't take him, or city leagues? And if the former, are there at least city leagues so he can stay game-sharp this year?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a kids hockey rant too ... pisses me off that an atom teams coaches can try and sandbag games in the preseason (balancing phase games within an association and within a city league) in order to keep a stacked superior team together

a team in my sons association basically didnt try during the association balancing games and for some reason tried during the city wide league balancing games (the league was going to balance teams into 3 groups of 10 teams based on how good they were) maybe thinking their rosters were 100% set

so what happens? the local amateur hockey league association reviews the scores and says to that stacked team they have to move a skilled player to my sons team and take back a not so skilled player ... a week before the regular season :L ... so now we have 2 families angry and 2 kids gutted because they cant play on the same team as their friends ... all because of a couple of dopey coaches :L

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are these high school programs who can't take him, or city leagues? And if the former, are there at least city leagues so he can stay game-sharp this year?

He can't play adult league until he's 18, and he is too old to play Bantam. USA hockey doesn't have Midget level except in a few select cities like Minny and Boston. We never tried out for U16 A, AA or AAA because we didn't think there was any way he wouldn't make the high school team, where he wants to be. In the last year and a half he is 19-1-1 with 3 (out of four tourneys) tournament trophies, a 2.25 GAA, .870 sv % and 6 shutouts. How would he not?

There are two High School divisions;
Varsity - schools that have enough to field a team. Usually play two levels Varsity (think "A") and Junior Varsity ("B").
Club - where players from multiple schools can play. For example, our town has three high schools. No school has enough to field a team on their own, so there is one team (JV and Varsity levels) made up of kids from all three schools.

To complicate things, my son is at a private school. So the rule is this: His school plays Varsity (JV and Varsity level). He didn't make that team, so his home district has first crack at him. They are full (4 goalies in the program and they've been playing since September). Since they can't use him, he goes into the "pool" for any other club team to draft him. The only club team that isn't full is on the other side of town and their practice starts 20 minutes after he gets out of school. That club team is distraught they can't get him. He beat them 3 times last year and once this summer. Their only goalie was his backup three years ago.

He can't play for one Varsity team that is short a goalie where he would be the Varsity starter if he could play. The rule was put in so schools couldn't just say "hey, this guy's good, lets have him play for us." You can play for a private school. your home district or club in that order. No other district. Rules are rules.

We found him a club that is full for goalies, but practices 3 nights a week. They have three goalie coaches on staff and run one dedicated goalie session every week. Plus they are the Blue Jackets' "everyone can play" program, so they get a lot of help from the Jackets. Hartnell sent 10 of their kids to a Minny hockey camp last year, Bobrovsky gets the skybox a few times a year and sends kids to games. Jackets goalie coach does a clinic for them. He's going to start with them tonight, but he won't see any game action other than a potential sub for the one club program he can't practice with.

I have been comforted by discussions with some local high school coaches who have said things like "<son's coach> is an idiot", "who knows what's in his head" and "Does he have eyes?" about the Varsity coach for my son's school.

An assistant coach for the school David Clarkson coaches for works where I do. And when I told him about it, he thought it was bullshit. He's watched my son practice because they have the ice before my son's team did all fall. He said he would talk to Clarkson and see if my son could practice with them some time and he told me today that he was on the phone with Clarkson last night and asked. He said Clarkson asked "wait, which one got cut?" The guy said "the big one with the black helmet with red logo on the front, #41". Clarkson said "Really? Him? What the fuck?".

That's a guy who made a good living in the NHL and has been around a lot of goalies, my co-worker made the OHL and was drafted by Detroit, but blew his knee out. The coach of the club team he could play on was inducted into the ECHL hall of fame alongside Olaf Kolzig, and was a late cut by the Owen Nolan era Nords.

The coach at my son's school played 15 games in the ECHL with 3 points. He was drafted by Vancouver. He played with Brad Treliving.

It's safe to say I am going to listen to the other guys in relation to hockey knowledge.

By cutting corners and doing a half-assed job?!? About 50 seconds in...

Hire a...

*sigh*

lawyer

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a kids hockey rant too ... pisses me off that an atom teams coaches can try and sandbag games in the preseason (balancing phase games within an association and within a city league) in order to keep a stacked superior team together

a team in my sons association basically didnt try during the association balancing games and for some reason tried during the city wide league balancing games (the league was going to balance teams into 3 groups of 10 teams based on how good they were) maybe thinking their rosters were 100% set

so what happens? the local amateur hockey league association reviews the scores and says to that stacked team they have to move a skilled player to my sons team and take back a not so skilled player ... a week before the regular season :L ... so now we have 2 families angry and 2 kids gutted because they cant play on the same team as their friends ... all because of a couple of dopey coaches :L

That sucks. And what message does that send the kids? Coaches like that should get punched in the balls.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tripping a kid in a hand shake line gets you 15 days in jail and a year's probation.

Hockey coach who tripped players gets 15 days in jail and a year of probation

i just want to say ... its bad to say lol ... BUT NEVER VOLUNTEER TO MANAGE KIDS HOCKEY!!! ... wanna coach ... go for it ... assistant coach ... even better ... but manage??? ... JUST DONT DO IT!

we had an alleged incident in a handshake line versus a vancouver team 2 weeks ago. Our backup goalie said in the dressing room after the game that one of their coaches told him he sucked (he didnt even play - lol)
Then the kid next to him in the dressing room says ... "yah he said it to me too" ... and they were at different ends of the handshake line :L

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My lab ran out of a pretty essential replacement part, so I ordered a bunch of new ones, but with a bit of a modification. They're metal ribbons coated in some metal oxide we use as filaments. Our old coating, thoria, is really toxic, and it was demonstrated in tests that yttria is just as effective without the toxicity, so I decided yttria was the way to go. Our old filaments were iridium, but researching filament performance, I found out rhenium was brighter, and it cost about half as much, so that seemed the obvious choice. I looked for published studies on durability, but could find none, so I made my best guess that rhenium would be more durable since you don't have to heat it as much to get the same effect.

I was very wrong. Rhenium, it turns out, is flimsy and unreliable as a filament. It burns out at the first sign of trouble, or in today's case, without any trouble at all. I run them very gently, and they still only last a couple weeks. By contrast, our old iridium filaments would last between 6 months and 2 years.

The real pity here is that, while the rhenium lasts, the performance of the instrument is considerably better. It does the thing we put it in there for much better, but it doesn't last long enough to be worth it, because replacing a filament takes most of a day.

I just want to graduate, darn it!

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My lab ran out of a pretty essential replacement part, so I ordered a bunch of new ones, but with a bit of a modification. They're metal ribbons coated in some metal oxide we use as filaments. Our old coating, thoria, is really toxic, and it was demonstrated in tests that yttria is just as effective without the toxicity, so I decided yttria was the way to go. Our old filaments were iridium, but researching filament performance, I found out rhenium was brighter, and it cost about half as much, so that seemed the obvious choice. I looked for published studies on durability, but could find none, so I made my best guess that rhenium would be more durable since you don't have to heat it as much to get the same effect.

I was very wrong. Rhenium, it turns out, is flimsy and unreliable as a filament. It burns out at the first sign of trouble, or in today's case, without any trouble at all. I run them very gently, and they still only last a couple weeks. By contrast, our old iridium filaments would last between 6 months and 2 years.

The real pity here is that, while the rhenium lasts, the performance of the instrument is considerably better. It does the thing we put it in there for much better, but it doesn't last long enough to be worth it, because replacing a filament takes most of a day.

Have you tried thermite? Lots of it.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Carbonite for the win

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just want to say ... its bad to say lol ... BUT NEVER VOLUNTEER TO MANAGE KIDS HOCKEY!!! ... wanna coach ... go for it ... assistant coach ... even better ... but manage??? ... JUST DONT DO IT!

we had an alleged incident in a handshake line versus a vancouver team 2 weeks ago. Our backup goalie said in the dressing room after the game that one of their coaches told him he sucked (he didnt even play - lol)
Then the kid next to him in the dressing room says ... "yah he said it to me too" ... and they were at different ends of the handshake line :L

Have you tried thermite? Lots of it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure my softball team fell victim to a misapplication of the rules. We are slotted for one hour games, and tonight we only got to play about 45 minutes because our opponent showed up late.

We were the visiting team, and time expired in the bottom of the 4th right after they had taken the lead. We were given no heads up that we were running short on time, they just very suddenly called the game. I don't know that we would have won anyway, because our defense was playing pretty terrible (I think we dropped at least 6 pop ups), but I wanted my hour, darn it.

When I checked the rulebook after the game, I found that if a team turns in their lineup after the game is supposed to start, they cannot be the home team, and they lose their first bats. We started ten minutes late, so I assumed they couldn't have had their lineup in on time, but they received no such penalty. After the game, I was told they turned in their lineup 3 minutes before game time, but that means they delayed for another 13 minutes before taking the field, without penalty.

Now, you can start a game with nine players, and they had nine players the whole time, but were waiting for their tenth. We could have started on time for sure. They refused to turn in their lineup without their 10th there. Again, I want my hour, darn it.

I'm frustrated because this was the semifinal game, for one, and for two, I only got to hit twice and had hit dingers each time, and I've never hit three in a game and really wanted to. I want my hour. Darn it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, there's a scheduled power outage on campus, so a calculation I've already lost progress on twice because first someone unplugged the computer and second there was an unscheduled power outage, is going to be lost again. And my vacuum chamber is going to be not at vacuum when I get in tomorrow, so it'll basically be a lost day pumping the whole thing back down again.

Some malicious force really doesn't want me to graduate.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some malicious force really doesn't want me to graduate.
mr-burns-picture1.jpg

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we'll march day and night
By the big cooling tower
They have the plant
But we have the power