• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Name some things that drive you fucking nuts

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Grocery stores not donating food is absurd, but I wasn't aware at how much food never even makes it off the farms, either. Just seems like a massive inefficiency when we could be, for very little cost, feeding all of our hungry and setting up programs to help abroad. And without the aesthetic standards for produce, we could drive down farming and food costs a bit, I'm sure, and help everyone.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grocery stores not donating food is absurd, but I wasn't aware at how much food never even makes it off the farms, either. Just seems like a massive inefficiency when we could be, for very little cost, feeding all of our hungry and setting up programs to help abroad. And without the aesthetic standards for produce, we could drive down farming and food costs a bit, I'm sure, and help everyone.
Can't watch the video at work, but every year around Charlotte they have a Know Your Farms Tour where you can visit everything from vegetable farms to bee keepers to alpaca farmers around the Charlotte area. We went a couple years ago, and the "unsellable" food the one vegetable farmer talked about was unreal. Just because a potato didn't have a "potato-ey" shape to it, they couldn't sell it.

This particular farm though donated 100% of their unsellable food to food pantries though, so it at least didn't go to waste.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't watch the video at work, but every year around Charlotte they have a Know Your Farms Tour where you can visit everything from vegetable farms to bee keepers to alpaca farmers around the Charlotte area. We went a couple years ago, and the "unsellable" food the one vegetable farmer talked about was unreal. Just because a potato didn't have a "potato-ey" shape to it, they couldn't sell it.

This particular farm though donated 100% of their unsellable food to food pantries though, so it at least didn't go to waste.

For the most part you're cutting the vegetables up anyway so what difference does it really make?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part you're cutting the vegetables up anyway so what difference does it really make?
That was essentially the point he was making. But people don't want to buy it if it doesn't look right, so stores don't even want to have it in inventory, so it leaves the farmers having to decide what to do with it. I think if they're lucky enough to have an arrangement with a larger company they might be able to send the misshapen ones off to be potato chips or something like that, but a lot of it does end up as waste.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh so you want to feed the lazy non working people both here and abroad? Not on my watch.*

*Hopefully its was obvious I was being sarcastic but sadly I feel a lot of people would feel exactly that way.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A friend of mine (a long time ago) worked in a grocery store and said he was told that the reason they trash so much is so they don't get sued over giving poor people "expired" foods.

Expiration dates are just some arbitrary number stamped on a package in most cases. Meat, obviously not. Overall, it's just stupid.

Not to mention it all goes to the same place in the same condition eventually...

Oh so you want to feed the lazy non working people both here and abroad? Not on my watch.*

*Hopefully its was obvious I was being sarcastic but sadly I feel a lot of people would feel exactly that way.

Did you hack into my facebook feed again?

One of my wife's cousins is doubling down on the "librul media" being "afraid" of that "true patriot" Donald Trump.

She had to have been adopted.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think farmers would question you on this and say that bringing perishable foods to market isnt cheap

this farmer in our area was "giving away" veggies to local food banks and he didnt go about it the transparent way and got heat for it. He was using volunteer pickers who didnt know he was actually getting some funding (not much) from the food banks he was "donating" to so there was backlash ... the food banks also complained about the quality of the food (reminds me of that seinfeld episode - lol)

Jas Singh's God's Little Acre farm dropped by Food Banks B.C. - British Columbia - CBC News

That was essentially the point he was making. But people don't want to buy it if it doesn't look right, so stores don't even want to have it in inventory, so it leaves the farmers having to decide what to do with it. I think if they're lucky enough to have an arrangement with a larger company they might be able to send the misshapen ones off to be potato chips or something like that, but a lot of it does end up as waste.

its on us right? I just dont know how we can change it :noidea: They did a good job summing up the psychology of the buyer.
and i never thought about it but yah ... if i see a spot in the grocery section thats supposed to be filled with lettuce and there is only 1 head there, Im leery about buying that. And its funny because I have a garden at home, and our carrots this year have come out of the ground looking mutated but our family eats them ... not sure if it subconsciously because i KNOW where they came from or that i didnt pay for the end product :noidea:

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Processed food FTW!

No one would care what the food looked like before it was processed. Who needs fresh, anyway? :)

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Processed food FTW!

No one would care what the food looked like before it was processed. Who needs fresh, anyway? :)

all they have to do is pour some high fructose corn syrup on anything and its edible :thumb:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Processed food FTW!

k2-_b626fcc6-369c-4a51-af18-9c19a22613ff.v2.jpg

Kids, eat your salad!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think farmers would question you on this and say that bringing perishable foods to market isnt cheap

this farmer in our area was "giving away" veggies to local food banks and he didnt go about it the transparent way and got heat for it. He was using volunteer pickers who didnt know he was actually getting some funding (not much) from the food banks he was "donating" to so there was backlash ... the food banks also complained about the quality of the food (reminds me of that seinfeld episode - lol)

Jas Singh's God's Little Acre farm dropped by Food Banks B.C. - British Columbia - CBC News

Why do we care how he goes about it? If the food bank was getting more food (edible and nutritious even if misshapen, which, really, doesn't even exist except in our heads) for less cost, and if less food is being wasted, it's a good thing, and we need to get over ourselves.

its on us right? I just dont know how we can change it :noidea: They did a good job summing up the psychology of the buyer.
and i never thought about it but yah ... if i see a spot in the grocery section thats supposed to be filled with lettuce and there is only 1 head there, Im leery about buying that. And its funny because I have a garden at home, and our carrots this year have come out of the ground looking mutated but our family eats them ... not sure if it subconsciously because i KNOW where they came from or that i didnt pay for the end product :noidea:

Honestly, I go to the grocery store looking for specific things. If there's only one left of one of the things I'm after, I'm buying it, regardless of how it looks. I'll find the good bits. And I usually think I'm lucky something was left. Now I know that last food thing would just sit there indefinitely, and I'm not lucky at all.

I do have a problem with forgetting about food I bought, though, and I'll have to throw it away when it starts molding or when it's supposed to be solid but has turned into a puddle. I have to work on that.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do have a problem with forgetting about food I bought, though, and I'll have to throw it away when it starts molding or when it's supposed to be solid but has turned into a puddle. I have to work on that.

Seems appropriate...

quote-let-the-most-absent-minded-of-men-be-plunged-in-his-deepest-reveries-stand-that-man-on-his-legs-herman-melville-297805.jpg

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I go to the grocery store looking for specific things. If there's only one left of one of the things I'm after, I'm buying it, regardless of how it looks. I'll find the good bits. And I usually think I'm lucky something was left. Now I know that last food thing would just sit there indefinitely, and I'm not lucky at all.

who doesnt? but i can recall times when i had something on my list and the selection is sparse so ive changed things on the fly and bought something else that can be eaten tomorrow night ... im sure im not alone on that

maybe my problem (and too many peoples problems) is buying too far in advance of eating (ie planning for 3 to 5 days of eating) when it comes to fruit and veggies

Last edited:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"They don't have a decent piece of fruit at the supermarket. The apples are mealy, the oranges are dry... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"